Thread: Reverse SWATting? UW-M library cleared, no MWAG found.

Reverse SWATting? UW-M library cleared, no MWAG found.

"UW-Madison police Lt. Aaron Chapin said that just before 7 p.m. Dane County Dispatch received a call from an individual who said he had a firearm and was inside Helen C. White library. ... By the end of the night, police said it all could have been caused by a prank call."

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/m...311655791.html

"A call came in to the 911 center around 7 p.m. from a man saying he was inside the library with a gun and didn't want police involved. ... Chapin tells 27 News the department is now looking into whether this was a case of "swatting", where someone calls authorities with a fake crisis or hoax threat."

http://www.wkow.com/story/29475915/2...madison-campus
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Wouldn't reverse SWATting be where a prankster sees a SWAT team and calls a MWAG?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Is carrying a gun at that location against the law?
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Madison is the liberal armpit of the State, and the UW Madison campus is the liberal flea of the armpit.

Last I heard, firearms were not allowed INSIDE any UW buildings, but concealed was allowed outside. OC nowhere on campus. This was a couple of years ago, and things are kind of constantly in flux here in the Badger. But, I highly, highly, highly doubt you can have any firearms at all, legally inside the UW Library.

I went there with my wife quite a few years ago as her gopher, doing research for her Masters. I ran back and forth to The Stacks getting articles that she needed to research. It was kind of fun, but this was even before we had CC:

Centurion

I believe open carry is legal on the UWM campus, at least outside of buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    Madison is the liberal armpit of the State, and the UW Madison campus is the liberal flea of the armpit.

Last I heard, firearms were not allowed INSIDE any UW buildings, but concealed was allowed outside. OC nowhere on campus. This was a couple of years ago, and things are kind of constantly in flux here in the Badger. But, I highly, highly, highly doubt you can have any firearms at all, legally inside the UW Library.

I went there with my wife quite a few years ago as her gopher, doing research for her Masters. I ran back and forth to The Stacks getting articles that she needed to research. It was kind of fun, but this was even before we had CC:
    My recollection of the statutes is that there is no law banning open carry outside on the UWM campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    My recollection of the statutes is that there is no law banning open carry outside on the UWM campus.
    You could very well be right, and probably are. As I am sure you are aware, WI gun laws have changed and morphed a bit since 2011. I haven't really kept up with the rules regarding Madison and the UW, since I have no plans to go there.

Isn't that part of the reason Gander built their new store out NE of the Interstate off 151 because of Madison handgun rules? One issue with research on the Internet is that everything stays there, so it is difficult if not impossible to determine if you are actually looking at the latest statutes. It's probably not that bad, more me, as reading that stuff makes my brain hurt.

I try to stay north of Hy 64, other than for work!

So much for preemption.
    66.0409  Local regulation of firearms.
    (1) In this section:
    (a) "Firearm" has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (c).
    (b) "Political subdivision" means a city, village, town or county.
    (c) "Sport shooting range" means an area designed and operated for the practice of weapons used in hunting, skeet shooting and similar sport shooting.
    (2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.
    (3) 
    (a) Nothing in this section prohibits a county from imposing a sales tax or use tax under subch. V of ch. 77 on any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, sold in the county.
    (b) Nothing in this section prohibits a city, village or town that is authorized to exercise village powers under s. 60.22 (3) from enacting an ordinance or adopting a resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm. Any ordinance or resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm does not apply and may not be enforced if the actor's conduct is justified or, had it been subject to a criminal penalty, would have been subject to a defense described in s. 939.45.
    (4) 
    (a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.
    (am) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce until November 30, 1998, an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that requires a waiting period of not more than 7 days for the purchase of a handgun.
    66.0409(4)(b)
    (b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17, 1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.
    (c) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from enacting and enforcing a zoning ordinance that regulates the new construction of a sport shooting range or when the expansion of an existing sport shooting range would impact public health and safety.
    (5) A county ordinance that is enacted or a county resolution that is adopted by a county under sub. (2) or a county ordinance or resolution that remains in effect under sub. (4) (a) or (am) applies only in those towns in the county that have not enacted an ordinance or adopted a resolution under sub. (2) or that continue to enforce an ordinance or resolution under sub. (4) (a) or (am), except that this subsection does not apply to a sales or use tax that is imposed under subch. V of ch. 77.
    (6) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, no person may be in violation of, or be charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political subdivision relating to disorderly conduct or other inappropriate behavior for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried. Any ordinance in violation of this subsection does not apply and may not be enforced.
    History: 1995 a. 72; 1999 a. 150 s. 260; Stats. 1999 s. 66.0409; 2011 a. 35.
    This section does not prohibit municipalities from enacting and enforcing zoning ordinances that apply to sport shooting ranges. Town of Avon v. Oliver, 2002 WI App 97, 253 Wis. 2d 647, 644 N.W.2d 260, 01-1851.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.