• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senator Mike Green, and NRA backed MCRGO, propose partial OC Ban

mikestilly

If someone were to get that exemption just as an added level of precaution (like OC with a CPL), would you still be able to OC in the PFZ's if they choose?

No the bill would remove the ability to OC in PFZs. The bill has since changed again and Green is making this gun control bill even worse by changing the ability to OC in places that have a liquor license. His gun control bill also has penalties for OC in those place with a tiered approach all the way to a 5 year felony. This is Michigan gun rights rep who spoke at the 2A march, and then preceded to go on media rounds on tv demonizing open carry, talking about how it makes people fearful, and how its the PFZ exemption is a loophole and on and on. This is specifically why I stopped getting involved with certain things including gun rights orgs who supported the same gun control bill SB 59.

It's hard to find a gun rights org in Michigan that stands up for the constitution and the bill of rights consistently. If it's not 100% it's not good enough in my opinion.

Last edited:

Redneck125

After finishing reading the rest of the posts and reading some of the bill I went to edit my post and somehow ended up deleting it. But I agree now. The bill is nothing but crap. Mikestilly, you're correct. How can you only support certain aspects of it? Either you're 100% for it or against it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
As I understand it, changes will be made to this bill. Specifically, all of subsection (9) will ostensibly be removed and subsection (8) amended on page 37. This will get rid of the "shall not intentionally display or openly carry a pistol" language that would have created a situation where open carry in the concealed pistol free zones listed in MCL 28.425o would have been made illegal
If these changes, and only these changes are made, this makes THIS bill much more acceptable. However....

As I understand it, there will be an additional bill submitted that will attempt to
amend MCL 750.234d and MCL 750.237a. This bill, not yet submitted would attempt to require that the exception given to concealed pistol license holders in the aforementioned areas requires that the firearm be concealed. This is where open carriers need to fight. I certainly hope that they don't tie bar the bills together.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

As I understand it, changes will be made to this bill. Specifically, all of subsection (9) will ostensibly be removed and subsection (8) amended on page 37. This will get rid of the "shall not intentionally display or openly carry a pistol" language that would have created a situation where open carry in the concealed pistol free zones listed in MCL 28.425o would have been made illegal
If these changes, and only these changes are made, this makes THIS bill much more acceptable. However....

As I understand it, there will be an additional bill submitted that will attempt to
amend MCL 750.234d and MCL 750.237a. This bill, not yet submitted would attempt to require that the exception given to concealed pistol license holders in the aforementioned areas requires that the firearm be concealed. This is where open carriers need to fight. I certainly hope that they don't tie bar the bills together.

^^^
Spot on Doc! :)

:thumbsup:

Evil Creamsicle

The contitutional carry bills mentioned earlier I'll attach here, and create a separate post for.

Attachments

• 2015-HIB-4772.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2015-HIB-4773.pdf
    101.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2015-HIB-4774.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2015-HIB-4775.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2015-HIB-4776.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 2015-HIB-4777.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 2015-HIB-4778.pdf
    43.6 KB · Views: 22

TheQ

It's important to note: The NRA has a very active presence in Michigan and they have yet to take a position on this legislation.

FreeInAZ

It's important to note: The NRA has a very active presence in Michigan and they have yet to take a position on this legislation.

Well the NRA's - ILA (institute for legal action) MI lawyer, Mr.Dulan, gave a interview on the at odds program, in which he seemed somewhat supportive of this bill, while not "officially" endorsing it.
http://atoddsshow.com

???

Last edited:

Michigander

Rather than get concerned with what combination of people signed up to be represented by a few organizational leaders who may or may not support this ban, my suggestion is to think of the people who will lose rather than gain freedom here, and call your reps and write them too, with the provided information if desired, if not sharing your letter(s) if you are so inclined.

bigt8261

Many offices have already received a lot of calls and emails on the matter. The problem is that both chambers are out on recess. Pay attention to when each chamber comes back from recess and contact them again.

MCRGO seems to think Green's bills will easily pass the Senate. Myself and others are not so sure. We also think the chances of Green's bills passing the House are very slim.

FreeInAZ

Steve Dulan doesn't speak for the ILA on policy matters. Dakota Moore does.

So, what does Dakota Moore say then? I ask not being snarky, just out of concern. Not bashing, just in the past they have worked on some bills or supported some, that have actually not been so beneficial to those who wish to carry firearms for protection. :(

TheQ

So, what does Dakota Moore say then? I ask not being snarky, just out of concern. Not bashing, just in the past they have worked on some bills or supported some, that have actually not been so beneficial to those who wish to carry firearms for protection. :(

I don't think the ILA has taken a position yet.

I know more, but that's all I can say.