• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in NC

PATRIOT88

Banned
I am by no means a celebrity, do not like publicity and harassment. I am by no means Daryl Dixon/Norman Reedus. The picture was merely an example and I value privacy, so I will never reveal much online, will never post photos of myself, arms or other supplies and definitely will never do something as stupid as the two men at chipotle carrying rifles at high and low ready. I do a slow reveal over time in person as trust is established. I only answered the questions, although reluctantly, because other members were seemingly hounding me to do so. Still, I see no importance in what length or type it is. If the stated establishments, which STILL have no signs or stickers on their door or window are so far gone and sensitized enough to forbid my entry and deny me service, then their mindset extends to all arms, firearms and any other arm. As I have said, I threatened noone. Guess Peaceable Journey and the 2nd amendment is not supported by the previously listed restaurants. I still strongly advise NOT to patronize these places, fellow open carriers

PATRIOT88

Banned
On the contrary, I am the one upset but it is their loss of a good patron/customer....as well as every other open carrier. Shrugs. oh well. Ill find and learn of better places to eat and maybe they will learn one day. (doubting that though, being sensitized fear mongers never learn, as shown in this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHNSxe7TK0

CDT COX

Armed or not, you sound like a weirdo. No one wants a weirdo open carrying a knife in their restaurant.

twoskinsonemanns

Armed or not, you sound like a weirdo. No one wants a weirdo open carrying a knife in their restaurant.

That's quite a generalization. Some restaurants may not mind weirdos. CDT how do the restaurants in your area feel about p*****?

Last edited by a moderator:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

I often open carry a knife when I go to not only restaurants but places like the hardware store and even the library. A nice, utilitarian fixed-blade knife that, in a pinch, will do quite nicely as a self defense weapon. I've used it to cut my food when the butter knife they put in the place setting could not even cut melted butter. I've used it to help an assistant librarian open a box sealed with so much wrapping/shipping tape it was probably both air and water tight before we opened it.

Again, it's perception. Big bad battle blades send one message even among the usually-armed, usually because the wearer is calling attention to it.

There's a particular blogger who is well-known in the gun world that generally despises OC and those that practice OC, claiming that for the most part they intentionally call attention to the fact that they are open carrying or specifically calling attention to what they are carrying.

As opposed to the stated purpose of OCDO (paraphrasing by quoting from a clip in the OCDO press kit section):

Anthropologist Charles Springwood sums it up nicely when he commented that open carriers are trying to “naturalize the presence of guns, which means that guns become ordinary, omnipresent, and expected. Over time, the gun becomes a symbol of ordinary personhood.”

I've always thought that accomplishing that was done by going about my daily life, armed and openly carrying, without doing anything that specifically calls attention to the fact that I am armed and openly carrying. No, not black guns in black holsters on black belts holding up black pants. Although I will admit I prefer black leather over any of the brown leathers, and black kydex/plastic over any of the rainbow color options. However, it's sort of hard to have everything blend in when I'm sporting scrimshawed grips.:D

But other than that, I prefer to be a "Grey Man" - not standing out or drawing attention to myself. Even with my Santa/Gerry Garcia look most folks cannot give much of a description of me. It's mostly kids, and those trained to be aware of their surroundings, who say I look like Santa. Most other folks, if they remember me at all, tend to remember what I said.

stay safe.

drsysadmin

That's quite a generalization. Some restaurants may not mind weirdos. CDT how do the restaurants in your area feel about p*****?

I don't know about where CDT is - but restaurants around here deal pretty well with me, so obviously they are ok with p*****.

The problem that "Patriot" has is not that he wants to open carry, its that he (supposedly) is pissy he can't do it whenever he wants, however he wants, with whatever he wants - other people's private property rights be damned.

Every location he has listed is PRIVATE PROPERTY. The owners have every right to deny him access/service - just as he has the right to deny them his money. See, he wants to raise a fuss and castigate these business because they are choosing to exercise their own rights. His rights end when they tread on the rights of others - and vice versa. But private property rights are greater than 2A rights (2A rights were codified in the Constitution partially to enable people to defend their private property rights, after all). He doesn't like it. He doesn't have to. But he does have to abide by it. His negativity is both intentional and by choice, and he expects sympathy while refusing to respect the rights of others.

That means - in lay terms - he doesn't play nice with others. His problem - not everyone elses.

Of course - the other problem he has is he can't seem to use good judgment, is argumentative, can't research laws for guano and pretty much makes statements that just don't wash.

solus

I don't know about where CDT is - but restaurants around here deal pretty well with me, so obviously they are ok with p*****.

The problem that "Patriot" has is not that he wants to open carry, its that he (supposedly) is pissy he can't do it whenever he wants, however he wants, with whatever he wants - other people's private property rights be damned.

Every location he has listed is PRIVATE PROPERTY. The owners have every right to deny him access/service - just as he has the right to deny them his money. See, he wants to raise a fuss and castigate these business because they are choosing to exercise their own rights. His rights end when they tread on the rights of others - and vice versa. But private property rights are greater than 2A rights (2A rights were codified in the Constitution partially to enable people to defend their private property rights, after all). He doesn't like it. He doesn't have to. But he does have to abide by it. His negativity is both intentional and by choice, and he expects sympathy while refusing to respect the rights of others.

That means - in lay terms - he doesn't play nice with others. His problem - not everyone elses.

Of course - the other problem he has is he can't seem to use good judgment, is argumentative, can't research laws for guano and pretty much makes statements that just don't wash.

so you have met the poster to make this summary judgement...

pray continue and tell us what he's really like...

ipse

drsysadmin

so you have met the poster to make this summary judgement...

pray continue and tell us what he's really like...

ipse

Solus,

My judgment is based purely on his statements/actions here. I made no claim to have met him (which I would think having read the thread you would know), but am perfectly entitled to form an opinion based off of how he represents himself. Now if you choose to differ with my view, that is your right. We can always debate it....

he doesn't play nice with others.
1)"Patriot88" has admitted that he violated not only the law, but the private property rights of another - by loitering on private property when it was posted as not a lawful action. Ignoring another person's rights does, in my view, qualify him as "not playing nice with others".
2) Intentionally violating the law doesn't exactly make him the kind of OC'er that represents the law abiding, reasonable people that OCDO strives to represent and lift up. Rather it shows his refusal to abide by societal law that is designed to protect the rights of everyone. Do you not agree?

he can't seem to use good judgment
3) See notes 1 and 2 to start.
4) The fact that "Patriot88" has reported more negative encounters with the general public and with LE in roughly a couple of weeks than many long term OCers in an area where others have had no issue is indicative of questionable judgment in how/where/what to carry.

Is argumentative
5) He has attempted to start a fight with a moderator/staff member.
6) He has repeatedly refused to provide relevant information regarding his negative experiences while castigating those who would question him - all while claiming to be new to this and supposedly coming her for camaraderie and support. I could go on about his "extensive education" and such - but is it even necessary?

can't research laws for guano
7) The guy claimed that he had researched the law and that he could carry "anything" he wanted openly. So in his mind, he could carry an anti-tank weapon like a LAW, or if he could heft the system, a 120mm smoothbore. Granted, physically impossible, but if he was able to physically carry it, his "research" states he could legally do so. Heck, he could just strap an old style 250lb bomb on and go wandering down the road..... If you think that "research" is somewhere above the level of bull excrement, then please, share with the rest of the class.
8) He failed to even grasp the fact that knives do not fall under the same statute as firearms and that local municipalities CAN legally restrict knife carry in ways that they can not do so with firearms. Where do you rank that when it comes to "legal research"?

pretty much makes statements that don't wash
9) Reread this post again - this one will make sense.

Maybe, just maybe there is the outside chance that the guy is for real and not as clueless and irresponsible as he has made himself appear. Guess some folks will find out when they meet at the Mickey D's in Hickory. If he shows. Maybe he just needs to grow up, start giving a little respect as well instead of just expecting it (private property rights are a big thing in my mind) and portraying himself better. However, until he does so, my "summary judgment" will continue to exist. I hope that he does show himself to be a more respectable OC'er over time. Or are you of the mind that he somehow is a shining example of how OC'ers should aspire to behave?

Feel free to counterpoint or add another inane, snarky, uninformed comment...

Last edited:

PATRIOT88

Banned
Solus,

My judgment is based purely on his statements/actions here. I made no claim to have met him (which I would think having read the thread you would know), but am perfectly entitled to form an opinion based off of how he represents himself. Now if you choose to differ with my view, that is your right. We can always debate it....

he doesn't play nice with others.
1)"Patriot88" has admitted that he violated not only the law, but the private property rights of another - by loitering on private property when it was posted as not a lawful action. Ignoring another person's rights does, in my view, qualify him as "not playing nice with others".
2) Intentionally violating the law doesn't exactly make him the kind of OC'er that represents the law abiding, reasonable people that OCDO strives to represent and lift up. Rather it shows his refusal to abide by societal law that is designed to protect the rights of everyone. Do you not agree?

he can't seem to use good judgment
3) See notes 1 and 2 to start.
4) The fact that "Patriot88" has reported more negative encounters with the general public and with LE in roughly a couple of weeks than many long term OCers in an area where others have had no issue is indicative of questionable judgment in how/where/what to carry.

Is argumentative
5) He has attempted to start a fight with a moderator/staff member.
6) He has repeatedly refused to provide relevant information regarding his negative experiences while castigating those who would question him - all while claiming to be new to this and supposedly coming her for camaraderie and support. I could go on about his "extensive education" and such - but is it even necessary?

can't research laws for guano
7) The guy claimed that he had researched the law and that he could carry "anything" he wanted openly. So in his mind, he could carry an anti-tank weapon like a LAW, or if he could heft the system, a 120mm smoothbore. Granted, physically impossible, but if he was able to physically carry it, his "research" states he could legally do so. Heck, he could just strap an old style 250lb bomb on and go wandering down the road..... If you think that "research" is somewhere above the level of bull excrement, then please, share with the rest of the class.
8) He failed to even grasp the fact that knives do not fall under the same statute as firearms and that local municipalities CAN legally restrict knife carry in ways that they can not do so with firearms. Where do you rank that when it comes to "legal research"?

pretty much makes statements that don't wash
9) Reread this post again - this one will make sense.

Maybe, just maybe there is the outside chance that the guy is for real and not as clueless and irresponsible as he has made himself appear. Guess some folks will find out when they meet at the Mickey D's in Hickory. If he shows. Maybe he just needs to grow up, start giving a little respect as well instead of just expecting it (private property rights are a big thing in my mind) and portraying himself better. However, until he does so, my "summary judgment" will continue to exist. I hope that he does show himself to be a more respectable OC'er over time. Or are you of the mind that he somehow is a shining example of how OC'ers should aspire to behave?

Feel free to counterpoint or add another inane, snarky, uninformed comment...

Now, I am going to state the truth as well as state that I am so very damn tired of these premature judging and assumptions online. This is partially why I do not bother revealing much of myself online anymore. I am 27, have had ALOT of experience and my tolerance/patience is very low to none as far as sensitized fear mongering idiots or as some call them, antis. I do not support those whom follow the lies, deception and faux pas the media and government makes people think and believe. I do not support fear/emotion based thinking. That is illogical and irrational. I also do not support all the premature judging (judging individuals BEFORE you actually meet them and learn about them/earn their trust) and assumptions I have encountered. Furthermore, I do not loiter. Loitering is not going into a restaurant or other establishment, with intent to rest, do research and work as well as order food or soft drinks. What I have done is merely patronize. So, that is one assumption proven wrong. Secondly, I am not argumentative. I have stated I value privacy. Privacy Laws still exist....although the media and government brainwashes and lies to the people, to get them to believe privacy is a thing of the past. Research NSA stories/harassment. There are other examples as well, such as doctors asking if you own guns, which is irrelevant to TRUE health care. You talk about private property rights and yet seemingly violate/infringe on the privacy of myself. I really do not want to go into a heated political discussion and list ALL the mistakes and infringements the government has done, so please do not force me to do so. If you want to learn more about me, you meet me, earn my trust and accept the slow reveal I feel comfortable with doing. I have had rather good encounters with LEOs...yet another that twists my words in an attempt to vilify or bastardize me. Regardless of the overreach and infringements the government has done on the 2nd, 1st and 4th amendments, the 2nd amendment STILL says an individual has the right to carry any arm they wish, firearm or any other arm. I will not use Any Other Weapon as that is taken by the ATF and does not mean or describe the same as what I am describing. Any other arm being anything not classified an improvised weapon or firearm and being purpose built for defense and/or warfare. Swords, certain types of knives, Sabres, Recurves, Batons, Halberds, etc. Lastly, for now...I found this and yes, its perfectly legal. Its up to the individual to decide what he or she owns and carries. Today on "WallBuilders Live," (name removed for harassment prevention and privacy) doubled down on his assertion that there are literally no limits on the Second Amendment, declaring that individuals not only have an inalienable right to possess guns, but also tanks, rocket launchers, fighter jets, and anything else they can get their hands on; including, presumably, even nuclear bombs. Yes, you have free will and freedom of expression and may say what you wish-I will not deny that. However, to say, or act like you know me by such dubious statements is misleading. I have very good judgment. I just do not have much patience or tolerance for cowards. It is a fact that if I cannot patronize such businesses armed with a properly sheathed and secure knife, then the same applies to any arm, even a taser, baton or firearm in the same businesses, even though they have no signs or stickers, as previously stated. As such, how is my statements inaccurate or wrong in stating any/all open carriers should avoid the listed businesses? It is not . I will continue this later if needed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Formatted for clarity by Moderator. Note my replies are posted in blue to distinguish them from quoted content.

Now, I am going to state the truth as well as state that I am so very damn tired of these premature judging and assumptions online. This is partially why I do not bother revealing much of myself online anymore. I am 27, have had ALOT of experience and my tolerance/patience is very low to none as far as sensitized fear mongering idiots or as some call them, antis. I do not support those whom follow the lies, deception and faux pas the media and government makes people think and believe. I do not support fear/emotion based thinking. That is illogical and irrational. I also do not support all the premature judging (judging individuals BEFORE you actually meet them and learn about them/earn their trust) and assumptions I have encountered.
See little to no premature judging, in spite of your unique definition. I see a reaction to your words, thoughts and self described deeds.

Furthermore, I do not loiter. Loitering is not going into a restaurant or other establishment, with intent to rest, do research and work as well as order food or soft drinks. What I have done is merely patronize. So, that is one assumption proven wrong.
Questionable rationalization, not as originally described.

Secondly, I am not argumentative. I have stated I value privacy. Privacy Laws still exist....although the media and government brainwashes and lies to the people, to get them to believe privacy is a thing of the past. Research NSA stories/harassment. There are other examples as well, such as doctors asking if you own guns, which is irrelevant to TRUE health care. You talk about private property rights and yet seemingly violate/infringe on the privacy of myself. I really do not want to go into a heated political discussion and list ALL the mistakes and infringements the government has done, so please do not force me to do so. If you want to learn more about me, you meet me, earn my trust and accept the slow reveal I feel comfortable with doing.
Not argumentative? - under other circumstances that would be funny. Health care, mistakes, and infringements are totally off topic/red herring.

I have had rather good encounters with LEOs...yet another that twists my words in an attempt to vilify or bastardize me. Regardless of the overreach and infringements the government has done on the 2nd, 1st and 4th amendments, the 2nd amendment STILL says an individual has the right to carry any arm they wish, firearm or any other arm. I will not use Any Other Weapon as that is taken by the ATF and does not mean or describe the same as what I am describing.
That you do not have the "right to carry any arm" has already been established. Further, I point you to Forum Rule #15.

Any other arm being anything not classified an improvised weapon or firearm and being purpose built for defense and/or warfare. Swords, certain types of knives, Sabres, Recurves, Batons, Halberds, etc. Lastly, for now...I found this and yes, its perfectly legal. Its up to the individual to decide what he or she owns and carries. Today on "WallBuilders Live," (name removed for harassment prevention and privacy) doubled down on his assertion that there are literally no limits on the Second Amendment, declaring that individuals not only have an inalienable right to possess guns, but also tanks, rocket launchers, fighter jets, and anything else they can get their hands on; including, presumably, even nuclear bombs. Yes, you have free will and freedom of expression and may say what you wish-I will not deny that. However, to say, or act like you know me by such dubious statements is misleading. I have very good judgment. I just do not have much patience or tolerance for cowards. It is a fact that if I cannot patronize such businesses armed with a properly sheathed and secure knife, then the same applies to any arm, even a taser, baton or firearm in the same businesses, even though they have no signs or stickers, as previously stated. As such, how is my statements inaccurate or wrong in stating any/all open carriers should avoid the listed businesses? It is not . I will continue this later if needed.
Your stating you opinion does not make it legal. You ignore OCDO rules and approach absurdity with what you claim to be legal, surely not practical.

You have arguably demonstrated poor judgement and now insult (another rule violation) those you do not know by calling them cowards - pot meet kettle.

Last edited:

solus

and here i was going to try to get a friendly wager going about appearing but, drat, the mark might have been spook'd off..

sigh

ipse

ps: and just the normal would suffice grape...which i think you covered quite sufficiently and succinctly :uhoh:

Last edited:

Law abider

Are there ANY restaurants or places otherwise I can eat and/do work/research at without dealing with a sensitized idiot or someone telling me to disarm? Ive been here for awhile. Catawba and so far Hickory Train Station and the soup kitchen freak out at the sight of a secure, properly retained SHEATHED knife. Just trying to last the rest of the month without starving.

I am told NC is a model state for OCing. Is that changing?

solus

Now, I am going to state the truth as well as state that I am so very damn tired of these premature judging and assumptions online. snip....

ya know drsys...me thinks the individual takes exception to your 'opinion' of them based on your assumptions; therefore, i do believe my query remains...

ipse