• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to really thank a veteran. (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure what causes me more dismay .... those who are unwilling to accept the gratitude of people who appreciate their service..... or those who think those who serve do not deserve any gratitude for their service.

You probably have misunderstood me, and perhaps a few other veterans who have posted.

Nobody said they were unwilling to accept the gratitude expressed. It would be more accurate to say that I am uncomfortable.

That comes from knowing what I did (not the job, not where I did the job but how I behaved) while in the service. It also comes from a deep-seated feeling that "Thank you for your service" is as automatic, and therefore meaningless, a response as a classroom full of second graders saying "Good morning Mrs. Teacher's-Name" in unison at the start of the day.

YMMV

stay safe.

Freedom1Man

Maybe your parents were illegals that snuck in after WWII?

My research shows WWII involved all of America:

Profile of US Servicemen (1941-1945)
38.8% (6,332,000) of U.S. servicemen and all servicewomen were volunteers
61.2% (11,535,000) were draftees
Average duration of service: 33 months
Overseas service: 73% served overseas, with an average of 16 months abroad
Combat survivability (out of 1,000): 8.6 were killed in action, 3 died from other causes, and 17.7 received non-fatal combat wounds
Non-combat jobs: 38.8% of enlisted personnel had rear echelon assignments—administrative, support, or manual labor.
Average base pay: enlisted—$71.33 per month; officer—$203.50 per month

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/le...2-history/ww2-by-the-numbers/us-military.html

Personally affected both my parents that enjoyed rationing, and grand-uncle that served in Third Army..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It involved these united States only because the puppet masters tricked the population into being involved.

If the population had not been tricked, our union of states would not have been allowed (by the citizen) to become involved.

And so, yes, until 'we' stuck our noses into it, WWII did not involve these united States.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"How to really thank a veteran..."

Here's how I 'thank' veterans. By ignoring them.

Screw veterans.

get life-time medical benefits from the VA, get a travel reimbursement check for coming to the VA.

I have a two big middle-fingers for anyone who was a veteran,

So what, now we're expected to help the families of people deployed in combat?
Now THAT'S a rant.

Aren't you precious. I, the rest of my family, and quite a few of us on this board, signed that "blank check" so you could say those very things. When I see/hear people like you, I just smile.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thanking a Vet

One of my all time favorite movie scenes. The setting is WWII Britain, the older woman lost a son and husband, but can't face it, so has been pretending their still alive.

[video=youtube;reUstMn4bM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reUstMn4bM8[/video]

PS: Julie Andrews is on record saying that of all the movies she made, this was her favorite.

B

Bikenut

You probably have misunderstood me, and perhaps a few other veterans who have posted.

Nobody said they were unwilling to accept the gratitude expressed. It would be more accurate to say that I am uncomfortable.

That comes from knowing what I did (not the job, not where I did the job but how I behaved) while in the service. It also comes from a deep-seated feeling that "Thank you for your service" is as automatic, and therefore meaningless, a response as a classroom full of second graders saying "Good morning Mrs. Teacher's-Name" in unison at the start of the day.

YMMV

stay safe.
Regardless of what your specialty was/is or how dangerous or mundane your assignment was/is or how seriously you took them your life was still on the line any time the military decided to order you into harms way. And there are many folks who understand that and are grateful for just that alone.

Thank you for your service Sir.

DrakeZ07

Just further proof of the slide into the toilet our country has taken, and this site... IMHO
:(

Oh - anybody remember WWII? Yeah screw those veterans (many drafted), whom without, we may very well be speaking Deutsch or Japanese, depending on what side of the conquered country you lived in???

http://youtu.be/Chzhf7gQxIg

Wouldn't have bothered me, or my family. Both sides of my family left east Germany after WW2 and moved to the US, all of us born thereafter was taught German as our first language, English as our second language. Maybe my Grand fathers, and Great-cousins would have been some prestigious position in a conquered America. All the males of my family, during, and before WW2, served as Officers in the Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht, Kriegsmarine, and a couple as Civil police with the Gestapo. My Grand father was a Standartenführer in the Waffen-SS, he had a nice life in Berlin, and had good political connections, he could probably have been the commander of the SS in America. Now, me personally, I respect the military service of those of my family who served in other nation's militaries, and paramilitaries. For instance, my Great-Grandfather, his father, brothers, and cousins, who served for the Deutsches Heer [Imperial German Army], and the Kaiserliche Marine [Imperial German Navy], were Officers, and Senior NCOs. I have some cousins who joined the French Foriegn Legion back in the 60s, and 80s. I respect them, all of them, and thank them dearly for their service to the Crown, and the nation of Germany, and to the French later on. Just can't produce any respect, or thanks for U.S. Veterans. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a gay southerner with strong blood ties to a rich european history. But don't worry, when I hopefully in the future, become America's First gay President, I'll look kindly on the people who expressed their dismay of my views on veterans and such. Especially after I disband the federal military, and navies, and return that power to the states, and demand Eastern Prussia be returned to Germany. Hey, it's not too late for any of you guys to learn and speak German, it's a very simple language to learn, and interchange with English. Many of the same pronouns, and pronunciations. Here's a good tip; Wasser sounds like Water, means the same. Unterseeboot sounds like Under Sea Boat, means Submarine. See? isn't it fun to learn things!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's strange how folks keep putting the blame for American foreign policy on the military, whose only responsibility is to carry it out with force when harsh words and stern looks are not sufficient. And how one individual seems to be perfectly content with how two (four really, but those in the middle really just upset the plan) regimes that were not American carried out both internal and foreign policy by force without waiting to see if those pesky harsh words and stern looks might have done the job.

I cannot wait for you to run for the office of POTUS. I actually hope that you win. Because then you will find out just how far you can go, even by Executive Order.

In the mean time, keep on being a good Chermann who is happy only vhen everytsing izz in Ordnung. Bet it sucks to realize that living in a representative democracy pretty much prevents that from happening.

stay safe.

twoskinsonemanns

One of my all time favorite movie scenes. The setting is WWII Britain, the older woman lost a son and husband, but can't face it, so has been pretending their still alive.

PS: Julie Andrews is on record saying that of all the movies she made, this was her favorite.

Thanks for posting that I enjoyed it.

Wouldn't have bothered me, or my family. Both sides of my family left east Germany after WW2 and moved to the US, all of us born thereafter was taught German as our first language, English as our second language. Maybe my Grand fathers, and Great-cousins would have been some prestigious position in a conquered America. All the males of my family, during, and before WW2, served as Officers in the Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht, Kriegsmarine, and a couple as Civil police with the Gestapo. My Grand father was a Standartenführer in the Waffen-SS, he had a nice life in Berlin, and had good political connections, he could probably have been the commander of the SS in America. Now, me personally, I respect the military service of those of my family who served in other nation's militaries, and paramilitaries. For instance, my Great-Grandfather, his father, brothers, and cousins, who served for the Deutsches Heer [Imperial German Army], and the Kaiserliche Marine [Imperial German Navy], were Officers, and Senior NCOs. I have some cousins who joined the French Foriegn Legion back in the 60s, and 80s. I respect them, all of them, and thank them dearly for their service to the Crown, and the nation of Germany, and to the French later on. Just can't produce any respect, or thanks for U.S. Veterans. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a gay southerner with strong blood ties to a rich european history. But don't worry, when I hopefully in the future, become America's First gay President, I'll look kindly on the people who expressed their dismay of my views on veterans and such. Especially after I disband the federal military, and navies, and return that power to the states, and demand Eastern Prussia be returned to Germany. Hey, it's not too late for any of you guys to learn and speak German, it's a very simple language to learn, and interchange with English. Many of the same pronouns, and pronunciations. Here's a good tip; Wasser sounds like Water, means the same. Unterseeboot sounds like Under Sea Boat, means Submarine. See? isn't it fun to learn things!

hmmm it must be disappointing to recount the failure of your nazi ancestry. Although with their take on homosexuality it's questionable whether you'd be proudly prancing in pink today if they were successful. Considering how long it took queen's to get rights in "free" america I imagine success on that front very slow coming in a blatant totalitarian state.

decklin

"How to really thank a veteran..."

Why the heck should anyone thank someone for doing a job they signed up for? No one ever thanked me for doing my job when I was an EMT, nor when I worked a friggen sweat-shop factory job making parts for Toyotas and Fords. It's the same thing, I voluntarily worked in a crap job, for a crap wage, in a crap working environment, for 10 hours a day, six days a week. No one with a brand new toyota ever thanked em for assembling their fuel pump when I said what I did. No one ever came up to me, after I and a partner, worked damned hard, sweat dripping from our brows, arms tired and sore, after providing CPR and BLS to a heart-attack victim, nor has their families every said thanks. No one I know of who has been a firefighter, has ever been thanked for putting out a house fire, or going into a building with a gas leak, to make sure there's no one inside unconscious.

Screw veterans. Isn't it enough tens, if not hundreds, of millions of Americans hero-worship anyone who has been in a uniform? Isn't it enough that my hard earned money gets taxed, to pay for their medical expenses while in the service, and after the service in the form of the VA? Isn't it enough that veterans get preferential treatment, BY LAW, when they fill in a job applications? Isn't it enough that veterans' families don't have to actually WORK for their money when their partners are on deployment for a job THEY VOLUNTEERED for, and get a wealth of aide from the government? I guess not, because the veterans get a hair up their butts every time someone doesn't stop and take time from their day to say "Oh, mister soldier man, thank you for your time and service and hard-work in a job you signed up for, and are set for life with my tax dollars, thank you for gracing my pitiful day with your presence, please, allow me to worship you like you're a god and I'm a pitiful pleb.".

Sign up for the military, get a guaranteed source of money to get a college degree, get a sign-on bonus, get a free meal, and a free room, and free travel across the world, free ammo, free weapons to use at the range, get immunity for KILLING PEOPLE, get this document that says you're worth is greater than that of a citizen who didn't sign-up, get life-time medical benefits from the VA, get a travel reimbursement check for coming to the VA.

I have a two big middle-fingers for anyone who was a veteran, and for anyone who expects me to stop and pay tribute to people who have worn a military uniform.

Where's MY free life-time medical benefits, sign-on bonus, free room, free bed, free meal, and free college expenses, for my work as an EMT in a dirt-poor county, seeing crap that my brother, who was a medic in iraq, gets green over when I would tell him about some of the crap I had to deal with on the job, huh?! NO WHERE. If my tax dollars are going to be taken and used to support a voluntary job field, I want to have a say in WHICH field it should go to, because I'd put every penny of my tax dollars into EMS, and my EMS brethren.

So what, now we're expected to help the families of people deployed in combat? WHY?! They are perfectly healthy people, THEY CAN GET A JOB! Can't afford that home you're renting, or paying the mortgage for? Don't expect me to pay for it, MOVE TO A CHEAPER HOME! Can't afford that brand new shiny 2015 Dodge Challenger? SELL IT AND GET A 1970-Something Datsun.

Now THAT'S a rant.

Pull your head out of your ass.
What is all this free stuff you're talking about?
My wife worked full time and received zero aid while I was deployed.
Free school? BS. Every service member pays into the GI Bill their first year of service.
Free food? BS. We paid $336 every month when I was single and more after I got married. Regardless of whether I ate in the DFAC.
Free healthcare? BS. I paid into it.
Free uniforms? BS. I paid for it.
Free travel across the world? Are you F'ing high? Yeah, 'cause Iraq, Afganistan, Vietnam, Bosnia, and World War II Europe were all vacation hot spots!
Do you have any idea how many times we paid for equipment and supplies?

If you're going to talk trash about an entire group of people maybe attempt some class and keep it to yourself, yeah?

Dave_pro2a

If you're going to talk trash about an entire group of people maybe attempt some class and keep it to yourself, yeah?

Ditto for "hero worshiping' an entire group of people.

Some vets are good, some are 100% worthless jerks.

Hey, humans.

And veteran benefits are helping bankrupt the country. Fighting for, our financial slavery?

Last edited:

Logan 5

Really? Wow. That’s sad.

Why the heck should anyone thank someone for doing a job they signed up for?
It’s something you can only understand, trully and fully, if you loved your country and appreciated the freedom you have now. From your dialogue I see that you don’t.

No one ever thanked me for doing my job when I was an EMT
You don’t do *either* job for recognition. If you do you’re in the wrong line of work.

nor when I worked a friggen sweat-shop factory job making parts for Toyotas and Fords.
Really? Cool. No, seriously. Cool. I’m sure if you weren’t there building the fine vehicles both corporations are known for someone else would do it, but thanks for your fine work!

No one ever came up to me, after I and a partner, worked damned hard, sweat dripping from our brows, arms tired and sore, after providing CPR and BLS to a heart-attack victim, nor has their families every said thanks.
Really? I’ve encountered that a few times. But we weren’t doing it for thanks. We did it because if we didn’t there was no one else to fill our shoes. I would expect that you, as an EMT, would know that. A man (or women) that has been hit by a truck head on while on their motorcycle cannot wait until the next ambulance or rescue truck gets there. You’re there, you go there, you do the rescue, and life goes on. Hopefully for the victims as well.

No one I know of who has been a firefighter, has ever been thanked for putting out a house fire, or going into a building with a gas leak, to make sure there's no one inside unconscious.
Really? Sounds to me like you served a community full of ingrates and losers.
Sux 2BU.
But then, looking at your attitude, I’m not sure I blame theme. However, just as a firefighter or EMT cannot chose the type of fire they fight or accident scene they show to, the victims cannot decide who shows to the scene.

Screw veterans.
And ***** you, too.

Isn't it enough that veterans' families don't have to actually WORK for their money when their partners are on deployment for a job THEY VOLUNTEERED for, and get a wealth of aide from the government?
I see that you’ve never been there. Can’t say that I’d want you there, either.

"Oh, mister soldier man, thank you for your time and service and hard-work in a job you signed up for, and are set for life with my tax dollars, thank you for gracing my pitiful day with your presence, please, allow me to worship you like you're a god and I'm a pitiful pleb.".
Funny thing is, a year back I met a Vietnam vet that had that very attitude. Expecting people to bow down to him because he served is Vietnam. Whatever.

I have a two big middle-fingers for anyone who was a veteran, and for anyone who expects me to stop and pay tribute to people who have worn a military uniform.
I suppose if you don’t, then you don’t. Freedom of Choice.

Where's MY free life-time medical benefits, sign-on bonus, free room, free bed, free meal, and free college expenses, for my work as an EMT in a dirt-poor county, seeing crap that my brother, who was a medic in iraq, gets green over when I would tell him about some of the crap I had to deal with on the job, huh?!
You say it’s in a dirt poor county, then you whine about not getting free this and free that?

Now THAT'S a rant.
That, I think, is more than just a rant. There is something behind your feeling about this.

I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
=^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.
Since you don’t like American soldiers that much, why don’t you go to some of the countries that our soldiers have died for, and try living there.

If you value your Right to Keep & Bear Arms, thank a vet.
If you value your Freedom of Religion, thank a vet.
If you value your Freedom of Speech, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Vote, thank a vet.
If you value your free K-12 education, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Travel, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Own a Home, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Hunt & Fish, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Watch Any TV Program You Want, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Have a BBQ in Your Back/Front Yard, thank a vet.
If you value your Ability to Go to the Ball Game, thank a vet.
If you value your Ability to Go Shopping, thank a vet.
If you value your Ability to Walk Down The Street Day or Night, thank a vet.
If you value your Opportunity to Go to a School of Higher Learning (College/Vo-Tech), thank a vet.
If you value your Internet Availability, thank a vet.
If you value your Right to Be a Redneck, thank a vet.

Most importantly for you I’m sure, if you value your right to be gay, thank a vet.

All these rights and abilities and opportunities that you have, and you show that much disrespect for our vets. :(

Oh well. Just remember the next time you’re at a wreck, the volunteer firefighter that helps you just might be a vet. I wonder what your fellow EMT/Fire-Rescue would think if they knew this about you.
Hmmm.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Perhaps you should have stopped there?

stay safe.

Meh. "'legal' conscription = fighting for freedom" paradox.

And now we have soldiers fighting for the patriot act I & II, NSA spying, Orwellian surveillance, killing US citizens without due process, etc.

Yeah, 'freedom.'

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
First off don't start jumping down my throat by claiming I'm bashing the military. I'm not.

I have a number of friends that are X-military.

Some joined the military with the belief that they were going to protect our country. And in some cases after almost loosing their life they realized they were fighting to protect Corporate America.

Some joined because it was a means to an end, the military agreed to pay for their college education.

For whatever reason they joined, when push comes to shove, they all would fight to protect all of our rights.

The truth is that most of us, like me, never served in the military, but would be the first to step-up to fight to protect the country from enemies from without and within.

Every service-person is not a hero nor deserve a thank you, for whatever reason they put in their time.

Setting the military aside, Firefighters and EMTs get my respect first, then the police that understand that they are piece officers not law enforcement officers. Most politicians are not looking out for you, period.

I thank those that took the oath to our constitution and actually takes that oath seriously.

solus

First off don't start jumping down my throat by claiming I'm bashing the military. I'm not.

I have a number of friends that are X-military. these folk are called veterans

Some joined the military with the belief that they were going to protect our country. And in some cases after almost loosing their life they realized they were fighting to protect Corporate America.

Some joined because it was a means to an end, the military agreed to pay for their college education.

For whatever reason they joined, when push comes to shove, they all would fight to protect all of our rights.

The truth is that most of us, like me, never served in the military, but would be the first to step-up to fight to protect the country from enemies from without and within.

easy to say now isn't it...you're well past the prime to serve...and why didn't you step up??? hmmmm?

Every service-person is not a hero nor deserve a thank you, for whatever reason they put in their time.

they took time out of their personal lives cuz you didn't feel like stepping up to do so, for whatever reason.

Setting the military aside, Firefighters and EMTs get my respect first, then the police that understand that they are piece officers not law enforcement officers. Most politicians are not looking out for you, period.

let's review, firefighters and EMTs are not shot at (nice LE and internal policies prevent them from entering 'dangerous' areas of open hostility) on a regular basis in their daily activities such as those serving in the hostile areas the military sends their women and men. and these public servants get your respect over military members.

I thank those that took the oath to our constitution and actually takes that oath seriously.

uh, firefighters and EMTs take an oath...i know the nice LEs don't here in NC!!

so personally i think your explanation is far far worse than drake's rant since it could be easily recognized as being an irrational tirade. but your's is well thought out and says far more than drake's and you even start it off with don't jump down your throat...sorry, glad those who served were able to protect your ability to say the inane things you say and do.

ipse

Last edited:

decklin

Ditto for "hero worshiping' an entire group of people.

Some vets are good, some are 100% worthless jerks.

Hey, humans.

And veteran benefits are helping bankrupt the country. Fighting for, our financial slavery?

I never said otherwise. I just find it interesting that a gay man is so ready to classify an entire group of people and hate them for misguided reasons.
Now that is irony.
I've never asked for special favors and I don't take advantage of them. I don't ask for discounts. I've never filed for disability with the va. In fact I want nothing to do with the va.
I made the decision to serve and that burden shouldn't have to fall on anybody else.
But when I see someone spewing hate and absolute nonsense am I not supposed to say something?
I enjoyed my time in the Infantry. I enjoy my time outside of the Infantry even more. I'm able to appreciate the simple fact of life far more than my pre-infantry days.

Status
Not open for further replies.