Thread: Gun sales spike in June. It's a hot summer for the gun industry. CNN.com

Gun sales spike in June. It's a hot summer for the gun industry. CNN.com

Background checks for gun sales spiked 11% in June compared to last year, making it the busiest June ever, according to the FBI's background check data.

Last month the FBI conducted nearly 1.53 million background checks, which are required for all in-store purchases, but not for sales at gun shows or between individuals. That's the highest volume of checks in June since 1999, when the FBI started keeping track.
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/07/news/gun-sales

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/07/8868...for-june-2015/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...9jnhFcsccs-ufM
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-07-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Interesting. I would have thought Charleston shooting happened too late in the month to cause much of a spike. Wonder if something in particular is driving this spike.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought Charleston shooting happened too late in the month to cause much of a spike. Wonder if something in particular is driving this spike.
    From the CNN article linked;
    The June 17 murder of nine black parishioners in a Charleston, S.C. church ... experts doubt there's any connection between that tragedy and sales.
    I lived thirty+ years in Charleston, the last two a stones throw from Emmanuel AME at 110 Calhoun Street (on Concord Street, the waterfront foot of Calhoun Street).

My experience is that responding to media hysteria is a white thing.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-07-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Last month the FBI conducted nearly 1.53 million background checks, which are required for all in-store purchases, but not for sales at gun shows or between individuals.
    Can somebody tell me what gun show in the United States allows their dealers to sell guns without filling out a form 4473?

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post

Can somebody tell me what gun show in the United States allows their dealers to sell guns without filling out a form 4473?
    This was in a couple of MSM high profile pieces lately. Bob Owens hit back hard on this in social media, but most of the MSM has a total lack of fact checking ability.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

With graduations and Father's Day, is there typically a spike in June, and this one just happened to break a record?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I know I'm a bad example, but I chose & picked up my sidearm after the Charleston incident. I did notice that the gun counter at the store I went to, almost always, had 1-2 patrons looking at sidearms.

Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    I know I'm a bad example, but I chose & picked up my sidearm after the Charleston incident. I did notice that the gun counter at the store I went to, almost always, had 1-2 patrons looking at sidearms.
    You are not a bad example, you are a personal anecdote, and two personal anecdotes do not data make.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    You are not a bad example, you are a personal anecdote, and two personal anecdotes do not data make.
    How about two unrelated, genealogically speaking, anecdotes? Three? Four...how about, five? How many "personal anecdotes" does it take to make data?

The data cited is misleading, checks conducted vs. sales completed, regardless of the number of units sold.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    How about two unrelated, genealogically speaking, anecdotes? Three? Four...how about, five? How many "personal anecdotes" does it take to make data?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_interval

You do realize that probability distributions are meaningless re background checks. Unless the contention is that check = sale.

I recommend that you read up on the term "churn [rate]."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churn_rate
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    You do realize that probability distributions are meaningless re background checks. Unless the contention is that check = sale. I recommend that you read up on the term "churn [rate]."
    I believe that is their contention!

Churn is a fine business model. See P4P

I believe that is their contention!
    The esteemed survey takers are so far off the mark that they do not even know what it is they were trying to survey. Regurgitating their flawed premise is akin to enabling their false premise.

Anyone ever think that the riots after some high profile cop involved shootings have more to do with gun sales than mass shootings? Rhetorical question for the trained observer?

Churn is a fine business model. See P4P
    Bingo!