Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Through Missouri

Traveling Through Missouri

Will be traveling through Missouri later this month. I'll be coming from the east on Hwy 60 heading west through Springfield and KC with a two day stop in Poplar Bluff area (looking for retirement property). I have ample permits to CC if I must but prefer to OC when I can.

Are there any towns or other places along that general route that I need to be careful of? Will the locals look at me like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead if I open carry? And finally, is there anywhere in the Poplar Bluff area I absolutely need to check out? Thanks!
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."

You might get a sideways look or two in KC, but OC is preempted by the state if you have a CCW permit. And no, there's nothing interesting about Poplar Bluff.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yep good to go in Missouri with your CCW. If you get a chance go into Kansas, it is a true Constitutional carry state something that has alluded Missouri. Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the prettiest areas in Butler County are apparently under water with flood stages and even flash floods throughout the region this month.

I have not been OC south of Sikeston since the law change. Be aware that all Boomland truck stops are apparently posted (the posting do not meet statute and have not been updated to match the statute changes in Oct 14 but, well, its a long story - perhaps just avoid them or certainly CC).

MO recognizes all other state CC license/permit so you only need one of those and we have preemption for OC with a CC license/permit.

I just haven't been down in that neck of the woods since the law changed but historically, unless you drop south from Springfield into Branson, or run up north of KC, you shouldn't have too many hey-its-a-unicorn type reactions. Most of those areas didn't bar OC even without the law changes.

Hope you have a great trip. Oh, and watch your speed a bit on 60 through Texas County on the 2 lane sections. The State LEO barracks there likes to run entrapment, er speed traps through there in the hilly sections.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully more members will chime in...

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully more members will chime in...
    Is there something that your not sure of while traveling though Missouri?

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Some of the prettiest areas in Butler County are apparently under water with flood stages and even flash floods throughout the region this month.

I have not been OC south of Sikeston since the law change. Be aware that all Boomland truck stops are apparently posted (the posting do not meet statute and have not been updated to match the statute changes in Oct 14 but, well, its a long story - perhaps just avoid them or certainly CC).

MO recognizes all other state CC license/permit so you only need one of those and we have preemption for OC with a CC license/permit.

I just haven't been down in that neck of the woods since the law changed but historically, unless you drop south from Springfield into Branson, or run up north of KC, you shouldn't have too many hey-its-a-unicorn type reactions. Most of those areas didn't bar OC even without the law changes.

Hope you have a great trip. Oh, and watch your speed a bit on 60 through Texas County on the 2 lane sections. The State LEO barracks there likes to run entrapment, er speed traps through there in the hilly sections.
    Yep...watch the low lying areas right now....lots of water flowing.

South of Poplar Bluff, you get into the flat lands; SW, West and North of Poplar Bluff you get into the hills. East of Poplar Bluff, agriculture. If you like to hunt/seclusion, then consider the West and North.

As for OCing, as others have said, make sure you have your CCW permit with ya. Most of the areas are pretty kosher with it; however, I wouldn't be surprised if a local yocal doesn't try to spread his wings with an out of stater.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Activist Member
    You're lucky, since coming back from Alaska I have to get my CCW back. I was an Alaskan resident so I had to give it up. For me to OC in Missouri, I have to wait months to get my license back.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

So I guess I'm missing something. Why would I need a permit to OC in Missouri? Permits have been referred to twice now. Did MO become a permitted OC state and they didn't tell anybody?

Last edited by hp-hobo; 07-16-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Subdivisions have had the ability to regulate open carry for a long time. Last year, the state removed the ability for subdivisions to regulate open carry for people with CCW permits. So, if you have a permit, you don't have to worry about local laws. Some people in here are sloppy with their language.

So then it's unpermitted OC except when it's permitted OC. Got it. Thanks.

Yep, but you have to check the local ordinances.

I was just going through the municipal ordnances for Poplar Bluff. Looks like they snuck in an OC ban, while nobody was looking. If you have a valid CC permit from basically anywhere else in the country(except VT) you should be fine to OC. Just be aware since it is preempted by a CC permit you will be required to show it. Officers have the authority to ask at anytime, for any reason and you will have a duty to provide it.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    I was just going through the municipal ordnances for Poplar Bluff. Looks like they snuck in an OC ban, while nobody was looking. If you have a valid CC permit from basically anywhere else in the country(except VT) you should be fine to OC. Just be aware since it is preempted by a CC permit you will be required to show it. Officers have the authority to ask at anytime, for any reason and you will have a duty to provide it.
    Or get fined $35 for refusal, correct?

They've had that ordinance for years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly25 View Post
    Or get fined $35 for refusal, correct?
    actually, 35 fine if you don't even have one from what I understand, and they are not to disarm you either.. not sure about detainment or arrest though..

RSMo 571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry permit pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall carry the concealed carry permit or endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry permit and a state or federal government-issued photo identification or the endorsement or permit upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry permit or endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.
    Interpretation here is critical...and your interpretation is of little interest to Ofc. Friendly-ish.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

oc has more experience, I would listen to him.

Activist Member
    I just remember before leaving for Alaska that Kansas City, Missouri allowed open carry. I have both Jackson County Sheriffs Department, KCPD and the AG office telling me you have to have your CCW permit to OC. Unless I misunderstood something here greatly then please correct me cause as usual it's difficult to get straight answers now a days.

I also remember speaking with a Jackson County Deputy at one point saying it's a law, but they weren't at that time going to enforce it due to the conflict of how it's worded.
    Last edited by DWCook; 08-02-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Then you are behind the times then. About a year ago, KCMO banned OC because our mayor said he didn't want people carrying AK-47's on the Plaza. Then the veto was overturned on SB636, which made OC legal with a CCW. Then the city council changed the ordinance to permit OC with a permit last October.

Last edited by kcgunfan; 08-02-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Activist Member
    okay, thanks for the update! I was living in Anchorage, Alaska for a year during this time. So my knowledge was only based on during those times.

Quote Originally Posted by DWCook View Post
    I just remember before leaving for Alaska that Kansas City, Missouri allowed open carry. I have both Jackson County Sheriffs Department, KCPD and the AG office telling me you have to have your CCW permit to OC. Unless I misunderstood something here greatly then please correct me cause as usual it's difficult to get straight answers now a days.

I also remember speaking with a Jackson County Deputy at one point saying it's a law, but they weren't at that time going to enforce it due to the conflict of how it's worded.
    Not entirely true, again, it depends on municipal code too, independence municipal code outlines illegal use of a firearm, and nowhere does it state the openly holstered display of a firearm is illegal. Kcmo may be different and the county might play by different rules too, but you have a ccw so none of it really applies to you anyway.

Although apparently jackson county doesn't exactly forbid it either under code 5534 and following subsections. You cannot OC on county owned or leased property without a permit.. But sidewalks aren't leased or owned by the county as I recall.. Not sure about the roads though.. May need to check into that.. And sidewalks too.
    Last edited by Ezek; 08-06-2015 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct made ccw, cow, and code ice.. and more info.

here is the Jackson county law as cited on their website

5534.3 Weapons on Public Property.
    No person shall carry any firearm, blackjack, martial arts instrument, knuckles, knife, projectile weapon, gas gun, switchblade or butterfly knife, stun gun or taser, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use onto any property belonging to or leased by the county. This subsection shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to 571.094, RSMo, or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, with regard to the carrying of the type of firearm specified in the endorsement or permit. (Ord. 2106, Eff. 6/16/92; Ord. 3423, Eff. 10-08-03; Ord. 3866, Eff. 01/23/07)

I don't think roads are included since to the middle of the road is included in personal property assessment, and sidewalks are private property required to be maintained by property owner.

so the Jackson County AG is wrong if his statement is it is banned EVERYWHERE in the county.
    Last edited by Ezek; 08-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.

huh

yeah i tried to contact the ag for kansas and mo. on whether oc was legal in kcmo..and whether a exposed holster is considered oc..i was told by both to contact a constitutional lawyer....all i want to do is open carry my pistol in kcmo --i know its ok in lees summit.i also tried to get the definition of what is concealed---so if my shirt is over my pistol but the holster is showing---???im figuring if you cant identify the gun then its concealed such as how do they know its not a pink derringer with a 8 inch holster to the top of my knee.so if i got this right oc is leagal as long as you have a ccw/ccp...this would be for kcmo as thats my home nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    here is the Jackson county law as cited on their website

5534.3 Weapons on Public Property.
    No person shall carry any firearm, blackjack, martial arts instrument, knuckles, knife, projectile weapon, gas gun, switchblade or butterfly knife, stun gun or taser, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use onto any property belonging to or leased by the county. This subsection shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to 571.094, RSMo, or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, with regard to the carrying of the type of firearm specified in the endorsement or permit. (Ord. 2106, Eff. 6/16/92; Ord. 3423, Eff. 10-08-03; Ord. 3866, Eff. 01/23/07)

I don't think roads are included since to the middle of the road is included in personal property assessment, and sidewalks are private property required to be maintained by property owner.

so the Jackson County AG is wrong if his statement is it is banned EVERYWHERE in the county.
    There is no RSMo 571.094.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/ch...tIndex571.html
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast