Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Maine Governor Signs Permitless Carry into law

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boone County, KY
    Posts
    312

    Maine Governor Signs Permitless Carry into law

    Maine Governor Signs Permitless Carry into law

    Its a done deal, permitless carry for Maine! No date mentioned of when it goes in effect. Congratulations Maine gun owners!

    http://www.ijreview.com/2015/07/3630...t-requirement/



    "Maine governor Paul LePage has to signed a bill into law on Wednesday effectively eliminating the state’s requirement for concealed firearm permits."
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

  2. #2
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    Maine Governor Signs Permitless Carry into law

    Its a done deal, permitless carry for Maine! No date mentioned of when it goes in effect. Congratulations Maine gun owners!

    http://www.ijreview.com/2015/07/3630...t-requirement/



    "Maine governor Paul LePage has to signed a bill into law on Wednesday effectively eliminating the state’s requirement for concealed firearm permits."
    90 days
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Congratulations !!!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Grundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47

    Today is a great day for Maine...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Congratulations !!!
    Thank you!!! And thank you, Governor LePage for signing LD.652.

    Maine has had an excellent tradition on gun rights (although our near neighbor Vermont has long enjoyed more liberal gun freedoms, if you could imagine). Even when things were "stricter", we were a constitutional open-carry state (no permit required for open carry), and we have enjoyed more gun freedoms than many of our fellow countrymen.

    With everyone focused on the 2nd amendment, Maine's Constitution has a surprisingly clear section concerning the RKBA:
    Article I Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

  5. #5
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post
    Thank you!!! And thank you, Governor LePage for signing LD.652.

    Maine has had an excellent tradition on gun rights (although our near neighbor Vermont has long enjoyed more liberal gun freedoms, if you could imagine). Even when things were "stricter", we were a constitutional open-carry state (no permit required for open carry), and we have enjoyed more gun freedoms than many of our fellow countrymen.

    With everyone focused on the 2nd amendment, Maine's Constitution has a surprisingly clear section concerning the RKBA:
    Article I Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
    Well I am impressed. Seems someone actually did their job and recognised what the Constitution says. Now how about the rest of new england and california?
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Well I am impressed. Seems someone actually did their job and recognised what the Constitution says. Now how about the rest of new england and california?
    Maine joins the list of states that lead by example.

    The other states are like the proverbial horse who can be led to water, but it has to want to drink.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Grundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47

    Up here, we're breathing freedom air...

    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Well I am impressed. Seems someone actually did their job and recognised what the Constitution says. Now how about the rest of new england and california?
    Maine and Vermont are enjoying excellent constitutional rights; New Hampshire is close and was 1 vote shy - unfortunately that was their Governor's vote which counts as 400 some odd against their Legislature. Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island are fighting one another to become like California and New Jersey. Thankfully, we've escaped their folly.

    One of the things that is AWESOME about Maine is our Constitution is the succinct wording of our version of the 2nd amendment. While others debate the term "well regulated militia" and how that applies to the State, the People, or the Individuals, Maine has made it very plain in Article I Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
    . How can you not like the sound of that?!?

    Come to Maine where the air is FREE!!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post

    Come to Maine where the air is FREE!!!
    and also crazy cold in winter. No thanks. I can do without the evils of snow
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  9. #9
    Regular Member Grundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    and also crazy cold in winter.
    ...yes, there is that; but at least it's a dry crazy cold...

  10. #10
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post
    ...yes, there is that; but at least it's a dry crazy cold...
    Hmmmm...... How about y'all just rip up your uneeded permits and Open carry? And while i'm at it, how to die hard OCers manage in winter?
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    Congrats Maine!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  12. #12
    Regular Member JEStucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Independence, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    95
    So, quick question...

    Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area? Prior to this Maine hasn't been very friendly to many out-of-state permits. Last time I checked they only honored 8 other states (Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, Wyoming, Michigan, and North Dakota)

  13. #13
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area?
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, once this goes into effect Main could care less where your license is from or even if you have one, you are legal to carry openly or concealed.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    So, quick question...

    Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area? Prior to this Maine hasn't been very friendly to many out-of-state permits. Last time I checked they only honored 8 other states (Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, Wyoming, Michigan, and North Dakota)
    It is my understanding that when this law goes into effect, you will be able to CC or OC w/o needing a permit; therefore, your Missouri permit becomes irrelevant.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    --snipped-- Last time I checked they only honored 8 other states (Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, Wyoming, Michigan, and North Dakota)
    Off topic reply:

    By my count, Missouri permits are accepted in 34 states now.
    https://ago.mo.gov/divisions/public-...ry-reciprocity
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Grundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Hmmmm...... How about y'all just rip up your uneeded permits and Open carry? And while i'm at it, how to die hard OCers manage in winter?
    Ding, ding, ding!! Winner, winner, lobstah-flavored, chicken dinnah.

    That question was what this new law was about. Open carry has been recognized for a long time, but, if you put your jacket on and your jacket was long enough to cover your sidearm, boom, you needed a concealed carry permit, special training, pass a background check, and get special permission for your local (or state) constabulary. For...the...act...of...putting...a...jacket...on. I do realize that concealed carry usually means IWB or some other deliberately method, but our law made no allowances for either method. Shortly, it won't matter.

    We also still need permits if we want to be afforded the "special rights" granted by the Federal Government to permit holders. Maine, being a very scenic and beautiful state with several federal and state parks, having a permit allows us to carry within most of them. We also get reciprocity from other states.

    Quote Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
    So, quick question...

    Does that mean Maine will finally recognize my Missouri permit for CCW, or allow me to carry openly within their state when I visit my family in/around the Bangor/Brewer area? Prior to this Maine hasn't been very friendly to many out-of-state permits. Last time I checked they only honored 8 other states (Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Dakota, Louisiana, Wyoming, Michigan, and North Dakota)
    Yes and no (see below). Maine had another law passed and signed that removed the discretionary recognition of out of state permits from the chief of the Maine State Police, and now simply reads that if your state recognizes Maine permits than we automatically recognize yours. By the way, there is currently 23 or 24 states with reciprocal agreements with Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, once this goes into effect Main could care less where your license is from or even if you have one, you are legal to carry openly or concealed.
    When the law takes effect, out of state carriers won't need a permit. Like the argument that says that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law; by extension, the law pertains to all who are within the jurisdiction of the state of Maine. One thing to keep in mind, if you carry "pursuant to" this law, you also have the responsibility to inform a LEO during an encounter with them (arrests, traffic violations, or detainments).

  17. #17
    Regular Member Grundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Off topic reply:

    By my count, Missouri permits are accepted in 34 states now.
    https://ago.mo.gov/divisions/public-...ry-reciprocity
    Yah, but my Maine permit...wait a minute...I don't need a permit...

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post
    Yah, but my Maine permit...wait a minute...I don't need a permit...
    True, unless youu want to CC in another state that does not also have Constitutional Carry.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    True, unless youu want to CC in another state that does not also have Constitutional Carry.
    unless you take the 2A literally, like it should be and say all 50 states are in fact constitutional carry. But of course such an idea is absurd
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  20. #20
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post

    We also still need permits if we want to be afforded the "special rights" granted by the Federal Government to permit holders. Maine, being a very scenic and beautiful state with several federal and state parks, having a permit allows us to carry within most of them. We also get reciprocity from other states.
    Yep. Government says "pay us ex amount of money, to exercise a right you already have or we'll harass you, assault you, kidnap you and extort more money from you." Isnt that what the 2A was meant to prevent? Tyranny?
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  21. #21
    Regular Member Grundi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    unless you take the 2A literally, like it should be and say all 50 states are in fact constitutional carry. But of course such an idea is absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    Yep. Government says "pay us ex amount of money, to exercise a right you already have or we'll harass you, assault you, kidnap you and extort more money from you." Isnt that what the 2A was meant to prevent? Tyranny?
    You, sir, have some very dangerous ideas, that if you keep expressing them, may infect others...

  22. #22
    Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post
    You, sir, have some very dangerous ideas, that if you keep expressing them, may infect others...
    eeerm. I'm the guy that tags companies and politicians and calls them out on Facebook - publically. And on Twitter. Grape and I have had our moments as well and my news aggregator page has probably given a fair few liberal a coronary. If people can't accept the Constitution as final - get out and toddle off to China
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

    "Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

    Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

  23. #23
    Regular Member JEStucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Independence, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    95
    So, will the Constitutional Carry apply only to Maine Residents (Been hearing that one on other boards) or will visitors be covered under it as well?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern Panhandle,WV ,
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundi View Post
    Ding, ding, ding!! Winner, winner, lobstah-flavored, chicken dinnah.

    That question was what this new law was about. Open carry has been recognized for a long time, but, if you put your jacket on and your jacket was long enough to cover your sidearm, boom, you needed a concealed carry permit, special training, pass a background check, and get special permission for your local (or state) constabulary. For...the...act...of...putting...a...jacket...on. I do realize that concealed carry usually means IWB or some other deliberately method, but our law made no allowances for either method. Shortly, it won't matter.

    We also still need permits if we want to be afforded the "special rights" granted by the Federal Government to permit holders. Maine, being a very scenic and beautiful state with several federal and state parks, having a permit allows us to carry within most of them. We also get reciprocity from other states.


    Yes and no (see below). Maine had another law passed and signed that removed the discretionary recognition of out of state permits from the chief of the Maine State Police, and now simply reads that if your state recognizes Maine permits than we automatically recognize yours. By the way, there is currently 23 or 24 states with reciprocal agreements with Maine.


    When the law takes effect, out of state carriers won't need a permit. Like the argument that says that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law; by extension, the law pertains to all who are within the jurisdiction of the state of Maine. One thing to keep in mind, if you carry "pursuant to" this law, you also have the responsibility to inform a LEO during an encounter with them (arrests, traffic violations, or detainments).
    Maine had crappy reciprocity before this law (Maine hardly recognized any other permits, other states will recognize all other permits including Maine). This should allow reciprocity with almost all other states that have reciprocity.

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Maine had crappy reciprocity before this law (Maine hardly recognized any other permits, other states will recognize all other permits including Maine). This should allow reciprocity with almost all other states that have reciprocity.
    The operative word above is "should." The queston that people what answered is, "Does it?"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •