• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U.S. LawShield?

Ezek

The science on how wide a laser beam from a given lens at a certain distance is well proven the unit I normal used if I remember correctly was an 18 inches at 300 yards. Its been five years sense I use one.

There is a procure to make sure the device is aiming properly and should be check before one uses it.

It also had a red dot like aiming site and a tone to let you know if one was receiving back good reading. If you were receiving a broken signal back one would not get a reading.

If you never use one I don't believe that you well ever be convince of their accuracy.

just something I was thinking about the other day when I asked the officer about calibration in the court all those years back, they stated they used a telephone pole.. but upon further thought into it I figured, well how do you verify your hitting the pole? do you use IR imaging to verify accuracy of the laser? what if it is off by 1 centimeter at 100yards? how far off is it at say.. 300 yards or even 200 yards?

you mentioned the beam spread over distance is minimal, but it is still present, how much does the beam spread from the origin point @ 100 yards? you could then extrapolate it to 200 or 300 yards and also factor that in with any possible inaccuracies. it would essentially look like two overlying triangles, showing inaccuracy of the beam direction over distance, combined with inaccuracy cause by potential beam spread.. and I won't get into wavelength function based on relative humidity, or by prismatic effects of air caused by rising heat from the asphalt..

Last edited: