• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Pro Liberty Choice: Dispelling The Myths Of Open Carry

California Right To Carry

By Dan Griffin, Michigan Open Carry

With the recent activities of Open Carry Texas lawfully asserting their rights in an effort to get the Texas legislature to vote for the legalization of openly carried handguns, and counter protests to that—including the poorly attended rallies of the Bloomberg-funded Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America—the open carry of firearms has been in the news quite a bit. Those not paying attention might assume that open carry is something new, something rare, perhaps reckless at best and dangerous at worst, but that is far from the truth.

Open carry has been around since before the birth of this nation. Open carry has been legal in Michigan, my state of residence, ever since it became a state over 175 years ago and as a territory before that. In fact, open carry is currently legal in 44 states, and in 30 states you don’t need a license to openly carry a holstered pistol. Open carry used to be the norm, and one had to be licensed to hide your gun. Over the years various restrictive gun laws have been created state by state, largely in an effort to suppress the ability of minorities and criminals to carry guns. The ability to lawfully carry a hidden gun became a symbol of status and privilege. In some states it still is.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/22/the-pro-liberty-choice-dispelling-the-myths-of-open-carry/

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for the link and a fair use quote from the linked article.

Now please tell us what you think, or at least why you thought the rest of OCDO ought to read the article in the first place.

There are aggregators that specialize in things related to firearms. They offer subscriptions - often at no charge - so folks can keep up with the news and opinions published on the internet. I subscribe to several of them in the hops that if one misses something another one will not. I do not expect opinions from them, as they are not in the business of sharing their opinions if they in fact have any.

But OCDO is different. News is discussed, opinions are shared, and often long-held positions are challenged.

So - "Other than that, what did you think of the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

stay safe.