Thread: Pepper Spray laws in Nevada?

Pepper Spray laws in Nevada?

I'm new to the forum. I signed up to this and a couple other forums to discuss self defense issues, and EDC of knives and OC spray. I joined the forum to hear advice concerning self defense, and to use it as a sounding board to check my reasoning on a few topics. Since this is a Nevada specific section, I wanted to ask about the pepper spray laws in Nevada.

In Nevada, I've read on some summaries of the laws that possession of pepper spray by felons is prohibited, and that there is a 2 ounce limit, but in the statutes, I can only find a prohibition for "tear gas" which is defined in the Nevada statutes as CS, and an explicit exemption for sprays made from "natural substances," which I understand to refer to pepper spray. In California, "tear gas" includes pepper spray, but apparently not in Nevada. Sabre's 3-in-1 contains CS, so that would be prohibited for felons, but I think that OC-only formulas that consist only of "natural substances," would be permitted for a "convicted person." The way I read it, the 2 ounce limit is also only for CS. Is this correct? NRS 202.370-380

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colabnoti View Post
    I'm new to the forum. I signed up to this and a couple other forums to discuss self defense issues, and EDC of knives and OC spray. I joined the forum to hear advice concerning self defense, and to use it as a sounding board to check my reasoning on a few topics. Since this is a Nevada specific section, I wanted to ask about the pepper spray laws in Nevada.

In Nevada, I've read on some summaries of the laws that possession of pepper spray by felons is prohibited, and that there is a 2 ounce limit, but in the statutes, I can only find a prohibition for "tear gas" which is defined in the Nevada statutes as CS, and an explicit exemption for sprays made from "natural substances," which I understand to refer to pepper spray. In California, "tear gas" includes pepper spray, but apparently not in Nevada. Sabre's 3-in-1 contains CS, so that would be prohibited for felons, but I think that OC-only formulas that consist only of "natural substances," would be permitted for a "convicted person." The way I read it, the 2 ounce limit is also only for CS. Is this correct? NRS 202.370-380
    Your interest in this topic specifically in Nevada is based on what? Why Nevada should you do not live there?

I will not search out answers, but would expect locals to chime in soon enough.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by colabnoti View Post

emphasis mine ^

My reading of your question makes me believe you are a prohibited person, if your aren't accept my apology
    However, if you are. Your attorney is who you should be speaking with regarding this matter. There may be conditions in your parole/probation/release etc... that they can review with you.

Last thing you want is to get pinched for carry/possessing a prohibited item.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

I'll add that pepper sprays aren't protected by state preemption, so individual counties and cities are free to make whatever codes or laws they want regarding their carry and use. NRS is only one of many places you'll need to investigate if you want to learn about pepper spray in Nevada.

Well, the seconf amendment doesn't exactly say what "arms" are, just they are for self-defense IIRC. So if the pepper spray is for self defense, then can they restrict it?
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    NEVADA: Legal with restrictions.

Nevada law prohibits possession of tear gas weapons, except for CS by adult (no minors or felons) with no more than 2 fluid ounces in the form of an aerosol spray "which is designed and intended for use as an instrument of self-defense".

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Pe...ions-sp-6.html

No specific reference made to Nevada statute though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    NEVADA: Legal with restrictions.

Nevada law prohibits possession of tear gas weapons, except for CS by adult (no minors or felons) with no more than 2 fluid ounces in the form of an aerosol spray "which is designed and intended for use as an instrument of self-defense".

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Pe...ions-sp-6.html

No specific reference made to Nevada statute though.
    Actually NRS202.370/202.440 Clearly state that a MINOR can Posses just can nit purchase here is the actual text...

NRS202.375  Applicability of NRS 202.370 to 202.440, inclusive, to small weapons containing “CS” tear gas and to certain law enforcement, correctional and military personnel.
    1. The provisions of NRS 202.370 to 202.440, inclusive, do not apply to the sale or purchase by any adult, or the possession or use by any person, including a minor but not including a convicted person as defined in NRS 179C.010, of any form of:
    (a) Cartridge which contains not more than 2 fluid ounces in volume of “CS” tear gas that may be propelled by air or another gas, but not an explosive, in the form of an aerosol spray; or
    (b)Weapon designed for the use of such a cartridge which does not exceed that size,  and which is designed and intended for use as an instrument of self-defense.