• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas zoos (Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston)

Glockster

I don't think the presence of amusements registered with the Texas department of insurance is the primary criteria for whether an entire place is an amusement park (in addition to the 46.035 requirements). During the debates this year, there was discussion (on the record) that establishes legislative intent for campus carry. In this text, they discuss how a college cannot declare whole campuses or even single buildings to be a day care when only one or two rooms are used for that purpose. The default is to allow carry and then carve out specific areas in which carry will be prohibited.
I have not yet delved into the original conversations that resulted in the amusement park requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I read that's a yes/no. They are listed as having the required amusement park licenses, under the provisions that cover amusement parks. However, under the portions of code that are gun related, they have to meet all of those requirements for the gun prohibitions to come to play. I hear what you're saying about the legislative debates and not being able to declare an entire campus as a GFZ...but I haven't found anything, anywhere that stipulates that an amusement park must have x number of rides to be one, or that a percentage of that 75 acres must be rides of either Class A or Class B. I think that clearly the laws regarding amusement parks, cities creating them, and what then impacts OC/CC are way behind the times. and I think that is he kind of thing that should become a priority in 2017.

Glockster

410 Bagby in Houston, the Houston downtown aquarium is owned by the city of Houston. Regardless of who operates it. 30.06 postings would be invalid unless another prohibition applies.

I went to the website directly and they say there that they are privately owned, not city owned and privately operated. Where did you find it listed as city owned?

Glockster

For anyone in the Houston area, the Houston Zoo is NOT on the list.

And as it was mentioned above, Fort Worth Zoo IS on the list.

Was just checking out the Houston Zoo web site and under the "What items are not allowed on zoo grounds?" in their FAQs, they say:
"For the safety of other zoo guests and our animals, pets, glass containers, alcohol, bikes, skates and skateboards, rollerblades, radios/CD players, whistles, and inflatable objects are not allowed on Zoo grounds."

So they don't seem to have anything posted online to attempt to prohibit guns.

nonameisgood

Someone noted on texas3006.com that the Houston zoo is now posted

Count

Founder's Club Member
Apparently there is a conspiracy among zoos to exclude carriers.
We have extensively discussed the issue here and elsewhere, and as OC comes to Texas, the following new law (that I did not know had passed) is on the DPS radar and applies directly to these zoos. They are all publicly owned and typically operated by a private group.
Because the law already prohibits 30.06 from applying to public property with very few exception, the 30.06 (and I'm expecting 30.07 shortly) are invalid, and as of September will be illegal.
The zoos also claim to be both schools and amusement parks (wouldn't you love to have gone to grade school at a zoo/amusement park?) but these claims are untrue by observation. The legislature has been clear that only the very limited places where things like a day care or school classes are held can be posted.
So, here is the DPS summary of the new rule:

Apparently this was the issue with Fort Worth zoo: The zoo was public property and lost so much money it was sold to a private entity..... This private entity leases the grounds of the zoo from the city which is public property..... The 30.06 prohibition applies to a governmental entity owning or leasing a property not to a private entity leasing a government property...... So, apparently the 30.06 is (or was when I was there) legal and has nothing to do with the school activity BS.............

Glockster

Apparently this was the issue with Fort Worth zoo: The zoo was public property and lost so much money it was sold to a private entity..... This private entity leases the grounds of the zoo from the city which is public property..... The 30.06 prohibition applies to a governmental entity owning or leasing a property not to a private entity leasing a government property...... So, apparently the 30.06 is (or was when I was there) legal and has nothing to do with the school activity BS.............

My understanding of 30.06 is that who leases the property isn't relevant, but the ownership is. However, there is no lease as their web site states that the Fort Worth Zoological Association has a contract to operate the zoo, so they haven't leased it. So either way, it is city property and 30.06 shouldn't be applicable. Hopefully in just a short while that can be confirmed by turning them in under the new law, and the AG office can confirm that.

Count

Founder's Club Member
My understanding of 30.06 is that who leases the property isn't relevant, but the ownership is. However, there is no lease as their web site states that the Fort Worth Zoological Association has a contract to operate the zoo, so they haven't leased it. So either way, it is city property and 30.06 shouldn't be applicable. Hopefully in just a short while that can be confirmed by turning them in under the new law, and the AG office can confirm that.

Well, that would be great! The 30.06 sign posting prohibition apply to only government entities (whether they own or lease)..... Since the Zoological association is a private entity it won't apply to them..... Years ago I researched this issue and the position of people in the know was what I wrote...... Having said that, if under the new law we file a complaint we may just get lucky and they will remove it or the AG may just side with us..... This AG appreciates guns.....

Glockster

Well, that would be great! The 30.06 sign posting prohibition apply to only government entities (whether they own or lease)..... Since the Zoological association is a private entity it won't apply to them..... Years ago I researched this issue and the position of people in the know was what I wrote...... Having said that, if under the new law we file a complaint we may just get lucky and they will remove it or the AG may just side with us..... This AG appreciates guns.....

And I think added to that is that the zoo has an amusement license, which indicates ownership and operation by the city. So they would be in violation of their license if someone else has leased it and is operating under that license, and that is a Class B for each and every day that they do so.

stealthyeliminator

Houston zoo removes 30.06 - is this applicable to this thread? http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/09/15/houston-zoo-forced--remove-no-guns-signs/72291354/

"We do recognize that this has the potential to confuse or concern our guests and members" .... what? taking down a sign that likely went largely unread, and that was likely inapplicable to most patrons in the first place, might cause confusion? I can hardly see how... Quit crying now, please, and use your big boy rationale.

Last edited:

Glockster

jordanmills

Good. Surprised they aren't whining more and fighting it harder.

Now HPD needs to take down the one at the big office on Travis.

bushwacker

so my question is are pre 1899 (or reps of) black powder pistols prohibited? does it say firearms or guns?....I really didn't read anything ,just wanted to ask the question before I lose signal