Thread: GOA Pratt: "Background checks utter failure for missing Dylann Storm Roof."

GOA Pratt: "Background checks utter failure for missing Dylann Storm Roof."

“Background checks for purchasing firearms have been an utter failure,” said Gun Owners of America spokesman Erich Pratt in a statement. “Arguing that we can make background checks better to stop criminals from getting guns is the very definition of insanity.”

FBI director James Comey said Friday that the National Instant Check System failed to pick up Roof’s admitting to possession of a controlled substance following a March 1 arrest in Columbia, South Carolina.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hecks-utter-f/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...g_Azrtba2qu8rM 760 Articles ATM

Sarcasm - Well, they need to be Universal Background Checks, even if only 90% effective, ninety-percent of a larger number is a larger number of declines. /Sarcasm
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-11-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    “The entire background check is flawed. Not only is it unconstitutional, it’s already failing to keep guns out of the criminals’ hands,” said Mr. Pratt
    UNCONSTITUTIONAL?????? I thought I was the only one that thought that. Silly me......

Oh that super special, almost magical 1968 Gun Control Act and its progeny The Brady Act....

...because spending billions and billions of taxpayer dollars in order to require criminals to purchase their firearms anyway off the black market just makes common sense to politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Oh that super special, almost magical 1968 Gun Control Act and its progeny The Brady Act....

...because spending billions and billions of taxpayer dollars in order to require criminals to purchase their firearms anyway off the black market just makes common sense to politicians.
    But, criminals usually don't obliterate the serial number which would mean they are somewhat law abiding.

You know the gun grabbers solution to background checks not working... will just be to.... "BAN GUNS! For the children!"
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

I just got an email from one of my "old hippie" friends from way back, who doesn't see the inconsistency between wanting civil rights and trying to make the world safe by eliminating the right to self defense. Anyway, he sent me this thing about how the three day limit on background checks is a "loophole" that allows all sorts of crazy people to get guns. I wrote him a suitable reply, of course, but that got me thinking about the FBI's public statement about this particular incident - a "we're really sorry but we screwed up, we didn't put the information together in time". I thought at the time I saw it that it was really out of character for that agency. They seem to spend most of their time avoiding blame for political reasons, a cultural heritage of that whacko, J. Edgar. What finally occurred to me is that it was a propaganda moment. What they're really doing is blaming the three day limit, like my friend did. And as I told him, it doesn't make sense to tell someone that, at the time they want to purchase a gun, "We're going to have to wait indefinitely to see whether the government will consider you OK to have a gun" before he's allowed to exercise his God-given right to defend himself, his home, and his family or to shoot animals for food, or to reduce his stress levels by killing pieces of paper. The three day limit is an extension of time for the government, otherwise, according to the American system, you can't be deprived of your civil rights without judicial action; and unless they've got a good reason for saying you can't have a gun, then there can be no impediment to your purchase of one. Next, they'll be regulating who can publish newspapers and what church you have to belong to.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    But, criminals usually don't obliterate the serial number which would mean they are somewhat law abiding.
    Black market guns, by definition, can't be traced back to criminals so what would be the point of obliterating the serial number?
    Last edited by OC4me; 07-12-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Black market guns, by definition, can't be traced back to criminals so what would be the point of obliterating the serial number?
    A serial number cannot be irretrievably obliterated. The act of etching/stamping changes the density and response to etchants.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

User, see if your hippie friend would support a 3 day waiting period for purchases of Bibles/Korans. Or better yet, in a attempt to curb drunk driving, a 3 day wait on purchase of alcohol.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I just got an email from one of my "old hippie" friends from way back, who doesn't see the inconsistency between wanting civil rights and trying to make the world safe by eliminating the right to self defense. Anyway, he sent me this thing about how the three day limit on background checks is a "loophole" that allows all sorts of crazy people to get guns. I wrote him a suitable reply, of course, but that got me thinking about the FBI's public statement about this particular incident - a "we're really sorry but we screwed up, we didn't put the information together in time". I thought at the time I saw it that it was really out of character for that agency. They seem to spend most of their time avoiding blame for political reasons, a cultural heritage of that whacko, J. Edgar. What finally occurred to me is that it was a propaganda moment. What they're really doing is blaming the three day limit, like my friend did. And as I told him, it doesn't make sense to tell someone that, at the time they want to purchase a gun, "We're going to have to wait indefinitely to see whether the government will consider you OK to have a gun" before he's allowed to exercise his God-given right to defend himself, his home, and his family or to shoot animals for food, or to reduce his stress levels by killing pieces of paper. The three day limit is an extension of time for the government, otherwise, according to the American system, you can't be deprived of your civil rights without judicial action; and unless they've got a good reason for saying you can't have a gun, then there can be no impediment to your purchase of one. Next, they'll be regulating who can publish newspapers and what church you have to belong to.
    Well if the 3 day loophole isn't conquerable perhaps a nice fat budget bump could help?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Would think 3 days could be done electronically in 3 microseconds. Or does the FBI call down to the basement records area and pull a filing card out of a storage cabinet? How about a sub-dermal chip to scan - if you are added to NICS they tweezer it out of the back of your hand?

So instead of 3 days, how about 3 weeks, or like DC -3 years or 3 decades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

First, my statement was meant to be tongue in cheek. A law abiding criminal?????
    Second, serial number on Form 4473 is usually worthless for tracing a law abiding citizen.

If a gun transfers through a private sale it will more than likely not be traceable.

And my bet is on that the USSC would rule that the reporting of a private sale to be unconstitutional.
    Last edited by color of law; 07-19-2015 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fingers hitting the wrong keys