• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best place to get a CCW

Voodoo John

So I lived in WA for 15 years and never bothered to get my CCW. Now live in AZ where I do have one, but it's not recognized in WA. Will be visiting the Seattle area in August and plan to apply for a non-resident CCW permit. My question is if there are any police/sheriff stations I should avoid (difficult or unfriendly to CCW applicants) and/or is there one that anyone can recommend. I'll be in the Seattle area but have no issue going pretty much anywhere from Olympia to Bellingham if you guys can suggest a specific location that will be more helpful to an out of state visitor.

Thanks!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Since your first post is about getting a CCW (the very antithesis of Open Carry) I'm curious how you found out about OCDO and why you are asking here about getting a CCW. Did you encounter problems with any/some/many/all of the boards that are devoted to Concealed Carry? If so, what were the problems?

Regardless, welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I lived in WA for 15 years and never bothered to get my CCW. Now live in AZ where I do have one, but it's not recognized in WA. Will be visiting the Seattle area in August and plan to apply for a non-resident CCW permit. My question is if there are any police/sheriff stations I should avoid (difficult or unfriendly to CCW applicants) and/or is there one that anyone can recommend. I'll be in the Seattle area but have no issue going pretty much anywhere from Olympia to Bellingham if you guys can suggest a specific location that will be more helpful to an out of state visitor.

Thanks!
Your query seems centered around Arizona law which would require state specific answer(s) - moved this to the Arzona sub-forum

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sent him a PM to remember to take his meds, and to move it to WA.

Growing old is not a pretty thing.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Non resident permit

*itch, *itch - can't make some people happy.

OK, well try the Washington sub-forum

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Pretty much any where in WA you are good. BTW it is "CPL" Concealed Pistol License. Some places want you to make an appointment. I know Thurston county is walk-in. The sheriffs office is co-located with the court house, but they do have lock boxes.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

Thanks!

I suggest not getting on as you don't need a permit to OC in WA

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Their is No Non resident license in Washington, they are all the same, except for the address.
Bring 56 or 57$ plus enough dimes and pennies to make up the rest of the cash only, exact change please,
and your fingertips to Any Sheriff office in the state.
Paper work and prints will take an hour, and then an out of stater will get his CPL in the mail at home in 60 days max!
It has been widely reported that out of staters that appy in Kitsap co. Sheriff office in Silverdale
usually walkout of the office in an hour, with the CPL IN THEIR HAND!!!!

If you are a real OCer, and only plan to visit the state for a while, from time to time,
their is no real pressing need for you to get a CPL here.
If you carry condition #3,,, you only need to pop out the mag before you enter your car,
then, pop it back in when you get out.

Last edited:

Alpine

The OP is not limited to only Sheriff offices.... :)

RCW 9.41.070 Concealed pistol license—Application—Fee—Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall...
13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:
(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;
(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or
(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

Chief Ed Green in Oak Harbor is a great guy, but I don't know their policies on issuing CPLs. I renewed mine at the Stanwood Police Department and received it in the mail about 10 days later. Back in 2003 or so when I first applied to Island County sheriff office, they waited exactly 30 days, by policy, before allowing me to go back and pick it up - I would not apply there. The woman working the counter there at the time was a - well, insert bad word here - because first she erroneously told my wife at the time that she had to obtain a WA driver's license because she was "only a spouse" of the military and not active duty, then she was really snotty with me when I had the audacity to call them on day 29 and ask about the status of my CPL application.

Isn't Ed Green the same chief who said OHPD would draw down on any OCer they contacted as a result of a generic MWAG 911 call?

Edit: found it. Yup. Ed Green is anti-gun.
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/184821971.html?mobile=true
The council members questioned Oak Harbor Police Chief Ed Green about how police would respond if someone was walking around a park with a rifle, which is legal under state and federal law. He said the officers would contact to the person, at gunpoint, and ask him or her to secure the firearm. He didn’t say what would happen if the person refused.
That fool wants to have a Bellingham/Greenlake incident in Oak Harbor.

Don't go to OHPD for your CPL... To get your CPL you'd have to OC to the external portions of the PD. And once they see you they are under orders from Chief Green to draw their guns on you(I assume it's the same for pistols because both types of carry are legal under state law).

No CPL is worth being threatened with deadly force. Go to a jurisdiction that won't threaten to execute citizens for trying to exercise their rights.

Last edited:

Alpine

So if that media outlet is blatantly wrong about him saying that, that's a pretty big deal since it's a threat of unlawful deadly force. Did you show him the article or mention that he might want to get them to do a retraction? I've been searching for a retraction at their site but can't seem to find one. Even if they aren't quoting him they are presumably paraphrasing him and if he didn't mean that they are incorrectly citing him. It's a big deal either way.

I was in Oak Harbor just a few months ago. I used to visit every couple weeks when I had family at the NAS.

Last edited:

Alpine

Yup. I get all that.

Lots of cameras, huge publicity on OC. Does SPD react the same way to every similar situation all the time? What did they do when that guy OCed an SKS downtown during Mayday? Was it similar to what happened to jsanchez around Greenlake? Why the difference?

Maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal if this guy wasn't the Chief. But a professional media outlet reported him as saying something that is absolutely horrible. If they refuse to print a retraction of what they said about him, then he himself should publicly make a statement. We shouldn't rely on inuendo or the fact that he didn't draw on you or others at past meetings. He needs to make a response or the media outlet should retract it.

Imagine if the Seattle Times reported that SPD Chief O'Toole said SPD would respond to anyone wearing a purple shirt at gunpoint. Do you think O'Toole would let it drop without any response?

Last edited: