Thread: E. Volokh reads SC criminal records. Dylann Roof's drug charge a misdemeanor only.

E. Volokh reads SC criminal records. Dylann Roof's drug charge a misdemeanor only.

The Volokh Conspiracy -
    Dylann Roof apparently had not been arrested for a felony a month before he went through a gun purchase background check

"Dylann Roof was arrested and charged only with misdemeanor drug possession. The Lexington County (S.C.) criminal records site reports, under “Charges,” that Roof was charged with “0179-Drugs / Poss. of other controlled sub. in Sched. I to V – 1st offense.” Charge code 0179 refers to misdemeanors. S.C. Code § 44-53-370(d)(2) provides that possessing a Schedule III substance (here, suboxone) is a misdemeanor leading to at most six months in jail. The arrest report confirms that this is what Roof was arrested for.

The Lexington County (S.C.) criminal records site
    http://cms.lex-co.com/SCJDWeb/Public...503&CaseType=C

SC Code of Laws Title 44, Chapter 53
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t44c053.php

Police incident/arrest report
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.document...f-redacted.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...kground-check/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

VERY interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    VERY interesting.
    Dylann Storm Roof was not a prohibited person and hishateful crime was not particularly racially motivated since he considered as well attacking The College of Charleston, an historically white college and which president is a well known Southeron activist, reenactor, businessman and legislator.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-13-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

But he was an admitted user of an illegal drug (according to media reports of his arrest), which is another disqualifier.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    But he was an admitted user of an illegal drug (according to media reports of his arrest), which is another disqualifier.
    And just how is this "dis-qualifier" to be enforced if one is will to lie under oath on a 4473 by not answering truthfully and then signing the form? There is no way to enforce this as a dis-qualifier by someone willing to violate the law (later commit Murder in this case) --- the definition of a criminal. ONLY the law abiding will answer the questions on this form truthfully--- it is no impediment to the criminal!

Or did I miss your sarcasm?
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 07-16-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

To claim his crime was not racially motivated is obtuse.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.