Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Begining success in Berea

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Southeast KY
    Posts
    2

    Begining success in Berea

    Two weeks ago, I noticed a sign at Memorial Park in Berea that had the park rules and one said "No weapons or Firearms".

    I emailed Mayor Steve Connelly.



    Dear Mayor Connelly,

    I write to address a possible violation of state law by the City of Berea. Specifically, Memorial Park has a sign that states "No weapons or firearms". As KRS 65.870 prohibits local governments from regulating the carrying of firearms, I am requesting that that sign and all other signs, ordinances, policies or directives that regulate the carry of firearms be amended or removed.

    KRS 65.870 was enacted July 12, 2012 and gave local governments six months to comply. Berea is woefully late in becoming compliant.

    Presently, at least 13 cities in the Commonwealth have been sued for violating KRS 65.870. In each case they have lost. This cost those cities a great deal.

    Please, let us work together, without fanfare or commotion, to quickly resolve this violation and bring Berea into compliance with state law.

    Thanking you in advance for your cooperation, I remain,

    Sincerely,


    He replied "Thank You."

    Yesterday, I returned to Memorial Park. On the sign the No weapons or Firearms rule was covered with large strips of black tape.

    Kudoos to Mayor Connelly

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603
    Welcome to OCDO - great first post.

    We appreciate those willing to root out such problems and resolve them. Nice job.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by RetCoastie View Post

    Yesterday, I returned to Memorial Park. On the sign the No weapons or Firearms rule was covered with large strips of black tape.

    Kudoos to Mayor Connelly
    I just hope the tape is only a temporary solution. Otherwise some city employee who didn't get the memo, or other "helpful" person may think the sign has been illegally defaced, and remove the tape.

    Not mere speculation on my part. In Covington, Kentucky at DeVou park, that very thing occurred a couple times that I saw. The city/park board just wouldn't shell out for new, updated signs, instead just putting tape over the unlawful "No Firearms" rule. Month or so later the tape was pulled off. (Just who did that, I could only guess.) So the next time I saw the signs with tape removed, I helped out the city with a Sharpie marker. Because no one had observed me, I made sure to tell one of the Park Rangers about my good deed first chance I got. Seemed like several different things were going through her mind but she just (I think sarcastically) thanked me, and asked me not to assist like that again unless requested.

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I hope he sticks around OCDO.

    Right on!

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Welcome indeed. A picture with the black tape would be great!

    Quote Originally Posted by RetCoastie View Post
    Two weeks ago, I noticed a sign at Memorial Park in Berea that had the park rules and one said "No weapons or Firearms".

    I emailed Mayor Steve Connelly.



    Dear Mayor Connelly,

    I write to address a possible violation of state law by the City of Berea. Specifically, Memorial Park has a sign that states "No weapons or firearms". As KRS 65.870 prohibits local governments from regulating the carrying of firearms, I am requesting that that sign and all other signs, ordinances, policies or directives that regulate the carry of firearms be amended or removed.

    KRS 65.870 was enacted July 12, 2012 and gave local governments six months to comply. Berea is woefully late in becoming compliant.

    Presently, at least 13 cities in the Commonwealth have been sued for violating KRS 65.870. In each case they have lost. This cost those cities a great deal.

    Please, let us work together, without fanfare or commotion, to quickly resolve this violation and bring Berea into compliance with state law.

    Thanking you in advance for your cooperation, I remain,

    Sincerely,


    He replied "Thank You."

    Yesterday, I returned to Memorial Park. On the sign the No weapons or Firearms rule was covered with large strips of black tape.

    Kudoos to Mayor Connelly
    I would love to see a picture with the black tape. It would make a great blog post/article.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Southeast KY
    Posts
    2

    Tape

    Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    I would love to see a picture with the black tape. It would make a great blog post/article.


  7. #7
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    That is some sign. They don't allow theft or vandalism in the park? Good thing they posted that. Some would assume that was legal in a park. Its rare that it is prohibited. I would have guessed that it would be allowed.
    I was thinking the same thing. And thank you to RetCoastie for stepping up and taking care of things. I only wish that more folks did the same.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •