• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Begining success in Berea

RetCoastie

Two weeks ago, I noticed a sign at Memorial Park in Berea that had the park rules and one said "No weapons or Firearms".

I emailed Mayor Steve Connelly.

Dear Mayor Connelly,

I write to address a possible violation of state law by the City of Berea. Specifically, Memorial Park has a sign that states "No weapons or firearms". As KRS 65.870 prohibits local governments from regulating the carrying of firearms, I am requesting that that sign and all other signs, ordinances, policies or directives that regulate the carry of firearms be amended or removed.

KRS 65.870 was enacted July 12, 2012 and gave local governments six months to comply. Berea is woefully late in becoming compliant.

Presently, at least 13 cities in the Commonwealth have been sued for violating KRS 65.870. In each case they have lost. This cost those cities a great deal.

Please, let us work together, without fanfare or commotion, to quickly resolve this violation and bring Berea into compliance with state law.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation, I remain,

Sincerely,

He replied "Thank You."

Yesterday, I returned to Memorial Park. On the sign the No weapons or Firearms rule was covered with large strips of black tape.

Kudoos to Mayor Connelly

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO - great first post.

We appreciate those willing to root out such problems and resolve them. Nice job.

Brian D.

Yesterday, I returned to Memorial Park. On the sign the No weapons or Firearms rule was covered with large strips of black tape.

Kudoos to Mayor Connelly

I just hope the tape is only a temporary solution. Otherwise some city employee who didn't get the memo, or other "helpful" person may think the sign has been illegally defaced, and remove the tape.

Not mere speculation on my part. In Covington, Kentucky at DeVou park, that very thing occurred a couple times that I saw. The city/park board just wouldn't shell out for new, updated signs, instead just putting tape over the unlawful "No Firearms" rule. Month or so later the tape was pulled off. (Just who did that, I could only guess.) So the next time I saw the signs with tape removed, I helped out the city with a Sharpie marker. Because no one had observed me, I made sure to tell one of the Park Rangers about my good deed first chance I got. Seemed like several different things were going through her mind but she just (I think sarcastically) thanked me, and asked me not to assist like that again unless requested.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Welcome indeed. A picture with the black tape would be great!

Two weeks ago, I noticed a sign at Memorial Park in Berea that had the park rules and one said "No weapons or Firearms".

I emailed Mayor Steve Connelly.

Dear Mayor Connelly,

I write to address a possible violation of state law by the City of Berea. Specifically, Memorial Park has a sign that states "No weapons or firearms". As KRS 65.870 prohibits local governments from regulating the carrying of firearms, I am requesting that that sign and all other signs, ordinances, policies or directives that regulate the carry of firearms be amended or removed.

KRS 65.870 was enacted July 12, 2012 and gave local governments six months to comply. Berea is woefully late in becoming compliant.

Presently, at least 13 cities in the Commonwealth have been sued for violating KRS 65.870. In each case they have lost. This cost those cities a great deal.

Please, let us work together, without fanfare or commotion, to quickly resolve this violation and bring Berea into compliance with state law.

Thanking you in advance for your cooperation, I remain,

Sincerely,

He replied "Thank You."

Kudoos to Mayor Connelly

I would love to see a picture with the black tape. It would make a great blog post/article.

self preservation

That is some sign. They don't allow theft or vandalism in the park? Good thing they posted that. Some would assume that was legal in a park. Its rare that it is prohibited. I would have guessed that it would be allowed.:D

I was thinking the same thing. :lol: And thank you to RetCoastie for stepping up and taking care of things. I only wish that more folks did the same.