Thread: Murder rates drop as CC permits soar

Murder rates drop as CC permits soar

"The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report set to be released Wednesday. Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Center. And the number is increasing faster every year. Over 1.7 million new permits were issued last year a 15.4 percent increase from 2013, according to the report. It is the largest-ever single-year increase in the number of permits.
    [ ... ]
    At the same time, murder rates have fallen from 5.6 to 4.2 per 100,000, about a 25 percent drop. Overall violent crime also fell by 25 percent, according to the report.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...permits-soar-/

Follow the money to P4P

--Moderator amended title: deleletd "
    : suck the oxygen from Constitutional/Open Carry" --
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-22-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Conclusion in title not supported
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Edited...Sorry....this initial post was not meant for this thread...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigStack; 07-14-2015 at 02:17 PM.

My thoughts on this is that t here are many contributing factors in addition to ccw/chl increases.

I think that the amount of video/cameras in our society has reduced crime cause people know they are being watched/chance for bring caught I'd higher than any other time in history.

8 years isn't the best sample size...but it's still good news that less people are being murdered.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStack View Post
    I think that the amount of video/cameras in our society has reduced crime cause people know they are being watched/chance for bring caught I'd higher than any other time in history.
    If that were true, you would see corresponding decreases in crime in other developed countries, many of which have far more security cameras. Think of England as just one example.

I'm at a loss to see how the increase in the number of CCWs/CHLs/CHPs is sucking the life out of constitutional carry.

1 - we are aware that a large percentage of the population where OC is legal are not aware of that
    2 - the decline in CCW/CHL/CHP renewals in places that have constitutional carry does not indicate that less people are carrying
    3 - as OC and constitutional carry grow, CCW/CHL/CHP are being marketed as ways around the NICS check
    4 - it is not possible to count the number of people who are OCing because there is no form to be filled out and recorded or fee collected to be audited in order to OC, thus it would be nearly impossible to tally the numbers of OCers who switch to/add CC to their repertoire when constitutional carry becomes the law
    5 - given the opportunity to Constitutionally Carry (??) (ConC??) instead of paying the fees and costs associated with permitted carry, what percentage will continue to want to pay those expenses? (Yes, there are advantages to having a permission slip if you travel outside your home state that has constitutional carry, and there are those that "collect" CCW/CHL/CHP like trading cards.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

The world is flat.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'm at a loss to see how the increase in the number of CCWs/CHLs/CHPs is sucking the life out of constitutional carry.

1 - we are aware that a large percentage of the population where OC is legal are not aware of that
    2 - the decline in CCW/CHL/CHP renewals in places that have constitutional carry does not indicate that less people are carrying
    3 - as OC and constitutional carry grow, CCW/CHL/CHP are being marketed as ways around the NICS check
    4 - it is not possible to count the number of people who are OCing because there is no form to be filled out and recorded or fee collected to be audited in order to OC, thus it would be nearly impossible to tally the numbers of OCers who switch to/add CC to their repertoire when constitutional carry becomes the law
    5 - given the opportunity to Constitutionally Carry (??) (ConC??) instead of paying the fees and costs associated with permitted carry, what percentage will continue to want to pay those expenses? (Yes, there are advantages to having a permission slip if you travel outside your home state that has constitutional carry, and there are those that "collect" CCW/CHL/CHP like trading cards.)

stay safe.
    Late to the party - fixed the title - the implied connection was not supported and wholly w/o merit.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

The world is flat.
    Although many do use the fallacy connection.

It is great to point out that violent crime has dropped in spite of an increase of CC and OC and more guns.

They may not be the cause of the drop, but they are also not the cause of violent crime.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Although many do use the fallacy connection.[ ... ].
    I do wish that I could write music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deebKNI-dTE Willie Nelson does The Rainbow Connection.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.