Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle seeking revenue generation at firearm owner's expense

Seattle seeking revenue generation at firearm owner's expense

http://council.seattle.gov/2015/07/0...olen-firearms/

quote...firearms dealers would pay $25 for every firearm sold and $0.05 for every round of ammunition sold. unquote

anybody know anything about this other than what the article states?

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Heard about it several years ago but seems like it was an urban myth
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Another all hat no cattle proposal from the left loonies in Seattle who refuse to understand or accept "shall not be infringed". Gun control disguised as taxation should not survive a preemption challenge but with our current court of final error I wouldn't bet on it. Makes me want to open a gun store in Seattle just so I can close it if/when this takes effect.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Another all hat no cattle proposal from the left loonies in Seattle who refuse to understand or accept "shall not be infringed". Gun control disguised as taxation should not survive a preemption challenge but with our current court of final error I wouldn't bet on it. Makes me want to open a gun store in Seattle just so I can close it if/when this takes effect.
    I wonder, what would happen if we got an initiative onto the ballot requiring the state executive and judicial branches to give equal protection to all rights enumerated in the state constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    I wonder, what would happen if we got an initiative onto the ballot requiring the state executive and judicial branches to give equal protection to all rights enumerated in the state constitution?
    Same as for your preemption statute.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The city council will be voting on it on Monday the 10th.

The only moron (sorry she sounded too stupid to be human) who showed up in support of this unconstitutional/illegal tax said that she supports it, "to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals."

1. Constitutionally speaking, there are no illegal guns.
    2. Even if there were illegal guns, how would a tax on legal guns affect illegal guns?
    3. How much will the idiots citizens (sic) of Seattle have to pay out to learn that this proposal violates state law? Seattle has better places it could be using that money.

I am tired of stupid people.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

From the looks of things, Seattle is not gun friendly. Looking at friendorfoe.us, there's a blanket of red in Seattle, thanks in part to Gun Free Seattle & Washington CeaseFire.

One would think, in light of recent events, that more hoplophobes & others would be more welcoming of an LAC carrying.

Looking over the Gun Free Seattle site FAQs: Is it legal for private businesses to prohibit guns on their property?
    In general, yes, private property owners may establish reasonable rules and conditions for people who wish to enter or remain upon the property. This may include a rule prohibiting civilians from carrying firearms on the premises.

Does this exclusion include individuals carrying guns with a Washington State Concealed Pistol license?
    Yes.

From my understanding, the Gun Free Seattle program was started by the mayor & is fully backed by the city (though they'll do everything to deny it).
    Last edited by mnrobitaille; 08-06-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: additional info added

Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    One would think, in light of recent events, that more hoplophobes & others would be more welcoming of an LAC carrying.
    They aren't because they see no difference between a LAC carrying and a mass murderer about to go on a rampage. Some of the more extreme cases (very common in the UK and getting more common in the US) see no difference between someone who would use a weapon only to defend innocent people and a serial killer.

My mother is a classic example of this attitude -- she doesn't know if someone with a gun on their hip won't suddenly snap and murder someone, so to be 'safe' she doesn't want anyone to have a gun on their hip. But she makes exceptions for police, she has no problems with them having guns. She's terrified that someone with a weapon will go berserk and hurt her, but she's just as much at risk of dying from someone deciding to punch her, given how physically frail she is, and yet she never feels nervous standing in a crowd of people who have hands.

The hoplophobes who are OK with police open carrying always amuse me.

I remind them of the growing amount of fake police in WA and what these criminals do to people.

Just a few:
    http://www.komonews.com/news/crime/V...283499281.html
    http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/free...ulling-/nmWj8/
    http://www.kirotv.com/videos/online/...ake-cop/vcS6n/

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    They aren't because they see no difference between a LAC carrying and a mass murderer about to go on a rampage. Some of the more extreme cases (very common in the UK and getting more common in the US) see no difference between someone who would use a weapon only to defend innocent people and a serial killer.

My mother is a classic example of this attitude -- she doesn't know if someone with a gun on their hip won't suddenly snap and murder someone, so to be 'safe' she doesn't want anyone to have a gun on their hip. But she makes exceptions for police, she has no problems with them having guns. She's terrified that someone with a weapon will go berserk and hurt her, but she's just as much at risk of dying from someone deciding to punch her, given how physically frail she is, and yet she never feels nervous standing in a crowd of people who have hands.
    Sounds like we might have the same mother. Scarry.....

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Seattle Council votes on gun tax today; what happens next?

Sometime after it convenes at 2 p.m. today, the Seattle City Council will vote on a proposed gun and ammunition tax, and a stolen gun reporting requirement that opponents insist will violate state law, and with potential lawsuits on the horizon, Second Amendment activists are wondering what might be next from this anti-gun municipality.

http://www.examiner.com/article/seat...t-happens-next
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-14-2015 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Rule #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    Seattle Council votes on gun tax today; what happens next?

Sometime after it convenes at 2 p.m. today, the Seattle City Council will vote on a proposed gun and ammunition tax, and a stolen gun reporting requirement that opponents insist will violate state law, and with potential lawsuits on the horizon, Second Amendment activists are wondering what might be next from this anti-gun municipality.

http://www.examiner.com/article/seat...t-happens-next
    Looks like both passed unanimously. The ball is now in SAF's court. Any updates on what's next Dave or any timelines? Will SAF be able to get the law put on hold pending litigation? How did that work during Chan?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-14-2015 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Rule #19 in quote

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Looks like both passed unanimously. The ball is now in SAF's court. Any updates on what's next Dave or any timelines? Will SAF be able to get the law put on hold pending litigation? How did that work during Chan?
    Alan Gottlieb told AP today that there will be a legal action. I'll let the legal beagles sort that one out.
    I may know more by tomorrow morning.

Seattle is going to be drenched in legal costs.

Seattle's attempt at making money will cause them to lose money. This could be interesting.

They should focus on strictly enforcing I594 Seattle Marine sells guns without background checks...... so do many of the other marine supply shops.

I sent my strongly worded email in last week to the Council. Should have sent along some q-tips, too.

I caught the council meeting online and they had zero credible evidence that it would work; typical anti talking points about the epidemic of gun violence in Seattle. If I recall correctly, there are only 5 dealers in Seattle city limits. Making them move would accomplish what, in regards to gun violence?

Councilman Burgess made the inept statement that this tax will be paid by the dealers, not the buyers. Well, dumbs**t, where do you think gun dealers get their revenue from?!

Obviously, we all know that this ordinance does nothing to prevent "gun violence." It's as if the council has never heard of this tool called the Internet. Where you can find places that sell stuff, sometimes tax-free, and ship it right to your door!

The ordinance violates 9.41.300 and 9.41.290.

What a bunch of dumbf**ks.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 08-10-2015 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Seattle Marine sells guns without background checks
    Flare guns? Just checking if that's what you meant.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Flare guns? Just checking if that's what you meant.
    It is a device that launches projectiles through an explosive force..... Am I wrong?

If I was paranoid, I'd say it was just part of the Seattle push to end preemption.

So they win whether this new law passes muster or not.

Even a loss galvanizes the liberal voting public to "fix the problem."
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    If I was paranoid, I'd say it was just part of the Seattle push to end preemption.

So they win whether this new law passes muster or not.

Even a loss galvanizes the liberal voting public to "fix the problem."
    The problem is the liberals.

The problem is the liberals.
    Except when it's the conservatives.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Seattle is going to be drenched in legal costs.

Seattle's attempt at making money will cause them to lose money. This could be interesting.

They should focus on strictly enforcing I594 Seattle Marine sells guns without background checks...... so do many of the other marine supply shops.

Seattle may get a pro bono attorney

If I remember correctly, they did last time as well, but they still lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Except when it's the conservatives.
    Fine, the problem is stupid people.

Fine, the problem is stupid people.

True, and most of them are libs. Seattle is not known for its deep conservative values. Blue counties can give you the blues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast