• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Area Neighborhood Night Out August 4th

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
August 4th planning

From the VA-ALERT:
3. National Night Out in YOUR area (August 4) and you want VCDL materials?

If there is a National Night Out in your area that you are going to attend, and you want some VCDL materials to hand out, send an email to Bruce Jackson (bruce@vcdl.org) with the location of the event and your phone number. He will contact you and provide you with materials.

Let’s continue to spread the word, especially at new venues, such as National Night Out!

Last year (was it just last year?) Grapeshot and I swung past the Bensley Community Center for a couple of hour and passed out Guns Save Lives stickers and answered questions. Lots of hard-working families out for the hot dogs.hamburgers and the fireworks, plus some serious soccer played by both the little kids and the youth/young adults.

City of Richmond Community Centers listed here: http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/

County of Henrico Community Centers listed here: http://henrico.us/rec/parks/

County of Chesterfield Community Centers listed here: http://www.chesterfield.gov/Parks.aspx?id=6442484360

Watch out in the outlying counties - the festivities might be located at one of the schools.

I'm going to start a Richmond Area Neighborhood Night Out thread so people can discuss where & when types of things. Remember, the walls have ears.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Didja notice how many of those locations are private property? It's almost like they want to control who can and cannot participate.:uhoh:

stay safe.

PS - I checked. My tin foil hat is still on the closet shelf.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In spite of all of the possibly gloomy news, there are a few events scheduled that are clearly not private property or schools.

stay safe.

wrearick

Nothing definitive yet in Virginia Beach. Have all the pieces and parts for my "Tactical Banana Self Defense Carry" if the local event is held at the nearby high school as in years past. After the missus puts the finishing touches on I will post a picture.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just a reminder - it's tomorrow night

Tomorrow, Tuesday, night.

Be sure to check they have not moved the event to a school.

If it's on private property check to see if there are any obvious signs. Also, if asked to leave do so without comment or discussion.

And for goodness sake remember to put fresh batteries in your digital voice recorder and turn it on. (Most have a "hold" feature that keeps you from accidentally hitting a button that would change the recording function.)

Post your AARs here so we can share in your victories as well as share the disappointment and frustration of any rejections.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry folks, but between the heat and the lack of humidity I was driven back into the A/C rather than risk medical complications. Yes, I am in fact that delicate of a flower and yes I know that there are some who are disappointed that I chose discretion.

I did crank up the A/C in the skidmobile and cruised a few locations to see what was going on. Free sodas, hot dogs, PAL lanyards, and jump houses did not seem to draw a lot of folks out.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry folks, but between the heat and the lack of humidity I was driven back into the A/C rather than risk medical complications. Yes, I am in fact that delicate of a flower and yes I know that there are some who are disappointed that I chose discretion.

I did crank up the A/C in the skidmobile and cruised a few locations to see what was going on. Free sodas, hot dogs, PAL lanyards, and jump houses did not seem to draw a lot of folks out.

stay safe.
Didn't even consider it this year - stayed dry and cool instead.