Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Springs OC in a bank

Colorado Springs OC in a bank

Ok, so I've read some threads and I've only been OC for 2 weeks now.

I went to my bank today and OC. Nobody said jack.

As I was leaving out the door, I held it open for a guy and he looked at me and said "You can't bring a gun into a bank."

I said "I didn't see a sign on their door saying they prohibited guns."

He then said "It's a federal law."

So, is he right or is he full of crap.

I thought I did my research and found it was OK but now he's got me second guessing myself.

ANY THOUGHTS?
    Last edited by edwardcosoc; 07-15-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Full of crap.
    Be active.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO.

Moved this to the Coloraado sub-forum (originally posted in Michigan) as many things will be state specific for you.

No there is no federal law forbiding carry in banks - banks are private property, they make their own rules to that regard.

Please do not ask about, encourage, signs restricting RKBA.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I thought so but wanted to be considerate to the customer just in case I was wrong.

I looked up if AAFCU (Air Academy Credit Union) didn't allow oc but found nothing.

I'm trying to become educated on oc and want to get my CC soon.

Thanks for moving to the correct section. It was my first post.
    Last edited by edwardcosoc; 07-15-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Even if none of the AAFCUs are posted, the one on the grounds of the Air Academy (Community Center building) itself would be a no-gun zone.
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 07-15-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    Full of crap.
    This.

OC in banks is quite common in NV, AZ, and in several areas.

I make no claims as to Colorado laws; only verify that there is no federal law against it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I don't go to that one. Off union and Academy.

How do I check if it's federally restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by edwardcosoc View Post
    I don't go to that one. Off union and Academy.

How do I check if it's federally restricted?
    It's not so much that the branch of the bank on the grounds of USAFA is specifically federally restricted. The problem is, it's on a military base and in a federal building, all of which are GFZs, bank or no bank.
    Last edited by SteveInCO; 07-15-2015 at 11:53 PM.

No problem, I'd never go to that branch.

But I still want to know if there is a federal law against oc in a bank.

Wowwie!!!

Seriously,,, this is your thread,, your question... Try to understand what you have been told...

BTW,, saying "No problem, I'd never go to that branch",,,
    is akin to, and as stupid as, saying, "the bread shortage is no problem, because I only eat toast"...

Again,,,, Their is NO Federal Law regulating carrying a gun in a bank,, OC or CC...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Asked and answered, several times. No one stuttered or hesitated - the answer is "No."

You wont find a cite for what does not exist. Next time someone tells you it is illegal, ask them to show you the federal statute.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

You misunderstand.

When I said I'd never go to that branch it's because it's out of my way.

Calm down, take a deep breath.

Understood.

Thank you for the information.

I do believe he is full of it.

Howdy out there. I'm sort of butting in, as I'm in AZ. Just checking on some things for a friend and saw your note. I would have to say that like most anti gunners he's full of horse pucky.

I open carry every day all day. Banks are no exception. I know of no bank in the Tucson area that has a problem with open carry. I've even had a 'female LEO' stand next to me in a bank. No problemo.

The only time a bank employee has asked about my carry is once 6 months ago a bank officer asked if he could have a moment of my time. I replied 'of course'. He had just transferred in from back east and wanted some info on local laws and about getting a CCW.

Be well and always carry.

Old uncle Ho, aka Lynn McFadden. Tucson.

Thanks for all the great information!!

Campaign Veteran
    edwardcosoc,

I OC in my Colorado Springs (COS) & Monument Wells Fargo branches EVERY TIME I go there -- no issues.

I OC every time I go out, and EVERYWHERE I go here in the Great State of Colorado -- also with no issues.

I never CC even though I have a Colorado CC permit -- it's only used when I visit Texas and I HAVE to CC down there.

When I visit New Mexico, I OC exclusively and everywhere I go there, too, as NM is also a no-permit-required OC state.

The only places I do not OC (or even CC) here in Colorado is (of course) on FEDERAL property (AKA: Gun Free Zones, AKA: Killing Zones): the VA Clinics, Ft. Carson/Air Force Academy, the USPS, or the SS office. And of course, I do not OC in Denver, but DO in all the towns/suburbs around Denver.

I've OCed from Fountain/Security in the South all the way up Golden/Broomfield in the North. From Littleton/Lakewood/Arvada to the immediate West/NW of Denver, in Aurora to the East of Denver, and in Castle Rock (between COS and DEN) -- all without incident.

I've never had anyone say anything negative about my OCing in the 2 years I've been here (from Texas), but have had plenty of conversations about it -- which is one MAIN* reason I DO prefer to OC: To EDUCATE. If someone told me what you were told, I'd educate him/her on the spot, and in no uncertain terms...like I did when a guy from Canada saw my OC at a local Village Inn restaurant recently -- he (but not his lady friend) freaked out. I said (in part) "Welcome to America."

I'm sure he will have THAT story to tell when he gets back home to the Land of the Unfree...

BTW...now that you're here in CO, don't forget the other "local" forum: http://www.cogunowners.com/index.php

Happy OCing...

* Aside from personal protection of course, I OC for 2 main reasons: D&E...meaning Desensitize & Educate. That can't be done by people who CC, even though they FAR outnumber us OCers out there. So as far as getting any D&E done, CCers don't, because they can't...so I try to encourage CCers to OC at least occasionally, explaining why it's important they do so. MOST CCers are incredibly clueless re: OC and don't think further about it than being against it -- yet for no good reason(s). So besides the general public out there every day, CCers need to be educated also! Sad, but true...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 07-17-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

You misunderstand.

When I said I'd never go to that branch it's because it's out of my way.

Calm down, take a deep breath.
    Nobody around here seems to understand the definition of "chill"

He then said "It's a federal law."
    I like people that saw "it's the law" my next questions is always "Whats the USC or ARS? also be advised that it is a federal felony to present something as illegal when it's not"

Usually the don't have an answer

(ARS is my state laws)
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    ...my next questions is always "Whats the USC or ARS? also be advised that it is a federal felony to present something as illegal when it's not"...
    Okay, well, I'd like to see the USC on that one, please.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Okay, well, I'd like to see the USC on that one, please.
    It's one One-upmanship.

If they can make up stuff so can I.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

It's one One-upmanship.

I must admit it went right over my head. Seems obvious now, and well played on them, too.

We descend to their level when we argue with a lie, or accept such an argument.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

It's one One-upmanship.

Color of law reversed?

While I understand the joke, really doing that brings some harm with it.

We are known for dealing with facts and truth, not shooting blindly fom the hip.

In a case like this, I prefer going up the food chain. That is generally more satifying........burp.

I'm now picturing it being said with an obvious tone of "See, I can make stuff up, too," instead of an actual attempt to deceive, a tone which I missed in the written word.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-10-2015 at 10:48 AM.

I OC at my CU's when O go there (Aurora, Public Service) and they never have had an issue, mostly don't notice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast