• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Springs OC in a bank

edwardcosoc

Ok, so I've read some threads and I've only been OC for 2 weeks now.

I went to my bank today and OC. Nobody said jack.

As I was leaving out the door, I held it open for a guy and he looked at me and said "You can't bring a gun into a bank."

I said "I didn't see a sign on their door saying they prohibited guns."

He then said "It's a federal law."

So, is he right or is he full of crap.

I thought I did my research and found it was OK but now he's got me second guessing myself.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO.

Moved this to the Coloraado sub-forum (originally posted in Michigan) as many things will be state specific for you.

No there is no federal law forbiding carry in banks - banks are private property, they make their own rules to that regard.

Please do not ask about, encourage, signs restricting RKBA.

edwardcosoc

I thought so but wanted to be considerate to the customer just in case I was wrong.

I looked up if AAFCU (Air Academy Credit Union) didn't allow oc but found nothing.

I'm trying to become educated on oc and want to get my CC soon.

Thanks for moving to the correct section. It was my first post.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Even if none of the AAFCUs are posted, the one on the grounds of the Air Academy (Community Center building) itself would be a no-gun zone.

Last edited:

SteveInCO

I don't go to that one. Off union and Academy.

How do I check if it's federally restricted?

It's not so much that the branch of the bank on the grounds of USAFA is specifically federally restricted. The problem is, it's on a military base and in a federal building, all of which are GFZs, bank or no bank.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

No problem, I'd never go to that branch.

But I still want to know if there is a federal law against oc in a bank.

Seriously,,, this is your thread,, your question... Try to understand what you have been told...

BTW,, saying "No problem, I'd never go to that branch",,,
is akin to, and as stupid as, saying, "the bread shortage is no problem, because I only eat toast"...

Again,,,, Their is NO Federal Law regulating carrying a gun in a bank,, OC or CC...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No problem, I'd never go to that branch.

But I still want to know if there is a federal law against oc in a bank.

Asked and answered, several times. No one stuttered or hesitated - the answer is "No."

You wont find a cite for what does not exist. Next time someone tells you it is illegal, ask them to show you the federal statute.

Old Uncle Ho

I do believe he is full of it.

Howdy out there. I'm sort of butting in, as I'm in AZ. Just checking on some things for a friend and saw your note. I would have to say that like most anti gunners he's full of horse pucky.

I open carry every day all day. Banks are no exception. I know of no bank in the Tucson area that has a problem with open carry. I've even had a 'female LEO' stand next to me in a bank. No problemo.

The only time a bank employee has asked about my carry is once 6 months ago a bank officer asked if he could have a moment of my time. I replied 'of course'. He had just transferred in from back east and wanted some info on local laws and about getting a CCW.

Be well and always carry.

Old uncle Ho, aka Lynn McFadden. Tucson.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
edwardcosoc,

I OC in my Colorado Springs (COS) & Monument Wells Fargo branches EVERY TIME I go there -- no issues.

I OC every time I go out, and EVERYWHERE I go here in the Great State of Colorado -- also with no issues.

I never CC even though I have a Colorado CC permit -- it's only used when I visit Texas and I HAVE to CC down there.

When I visit New Mexico, I OC exclusively and everywhere I go there, too, as NM is also a no-permit-required OC state.

The only places I do not OC (or even CC) here in Colorado is (of course) on FEDERAL property (AKA: Gun Free Zones, AKA: Killing Zones): the VA Clinics, Ft. Carson/Air Force Academy, the USPS, or the SS office. And of course, I do not OC in Denver, but DO in all the towns/suburbs around Denver.

I've OCed from Fountain/Security in the South all the way up Golden/Broomfield in the North. From Littleton/Lakewood/Arvada to the immediate West/NW of Denver, in Aurora to the East of Denver, and in Castle Rock (between COS and DEN) -- all without incident.

I've never had anyone say anything negative about my OCing in the 2 years I've been here (from Texas), but have had plenty of conversations about it -- which is one MAIN* reason I DO prefer to OC: To EDUCATE. If someone told me what you were told, I'd educate him/her on the spot, and in no uncertain terms...like I did when a guy from Canada saw my OC at a local Village Inn restaurant recently -- he (but not his lady friend) freaked out. I said (in part) "Welcome to America."

I'm sure he will have THAT story to tell when he gets back home to the Land of the Unfree...

BTW...now that you're here in CO, don't forget the other "local" forum: http://www.cogunowners.com/index.php

Happy OCing...

* Aside from personal protection of course, I OC for 2 main reasons: D&E...meaning Desensitize & Educate. That can't be done by people who CC, even though they FAR outnumber us OCers out there. So as far as getting any D&E done, CCers don't, because they can't...so I try to encourage CCers to OC at least occasionally, explaining why it's important they do so. MOST CCers are incredibly clueless re: OC and don't think further about it than being against it -- yet for no good reason(s). So besides the general public out there every day, CCers need to be educated also! Sad, but true...

Last edited: