Thread: St. Croix County Fair / no guns in buildings

St. Croix County Fair / no guns in buildings

Just got flyer in mail for St. Croix County Fair, with postings of no dogs/no guns in buildings. Understand the dog part, but can they legally keep us out? Looked at the website, but no mention of guns there.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
    Just got flyer in mail for St. Croix County Fair, with postings of no dogs/no guns in buildings. Understand the dog part, but can they legally keep us out? Looked at the website, but no mention of guns there.

Think it will depend on who is running/operating the fair - whether it is a municipality or a private operator/owner of a business.

Could not determine who actually owns/operates the fair, but do note that the facility is available for rent, in whole or part.
    http://stcroixcofair.com/fair/rentals-fees/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Act 35 mentions special events, which I assume covers a county fair. Must have designated entrances and exits and they must be marked with no gun signs and in a manner that can be resonably seen.

I don't think notice on a flyer/insert would cover it, but I'd be willing to bet they will ask you to leave if they see your firearm. So, firearms are ok on the grounds, just not in the buildings? Those dog people, always pushing the envelope........

I OCed at the Oneida County Fair last year, but no entrances ,can walk to in from anywhere. Seen for sure by two Rhinelander LEO but no mention of contact. Walked by them 6 feet away while they were eating and got the stare!

I believe that this precise issue has been previously addressed here. IIRC It was resolved by determining the geographic location and the ownership of the land from the publicly accessible tax records for that parcel.

St. Croix County Fairgrounds
    210 Fair Grounds Rd
    Glenwood City, WI 54013

Please DO NOT send any mail to this address it is for mapping purposes only.http://stcroixcofair.com/contact/
    St. Croix County GIS site.
    http://stcroixcowi.wgxtreme.com/

2015 Property Record | St Croix County, WI
    Assessed values not finalized until after Board of Review.
    Property information is valid as of JUL 15 2015 10:23PM.
    Owner

ST CROIX COUNTY
    1101 CARMICHAEL RD
    HUDSON, WI 54016
    Property Information

Parcel ID:
    231-1046-30-000

Alternate ID:
    26.30.15.745A

Property Description

O.L. 56 WARD 3 G.C. FAIRGROUNDS 99 YEAR LEASE TO ST CROIX COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION EXC PT TO ST CROIX CTY AS IN WD-1200/197

Property Address:

Municipality:
    CITY OF GLENWOOD CITY

Total Acres:
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-16-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

What does "No Carry-Ons" mean, under the No Dogs Unless.....banner mean?

I would take that to mean no carry in alcohol allowed.

I found a copy online of flyer front. Sounds like all of the grounds, as stated at bottom of front of flyer. I had my wife send me pic of the back that states, No Weapons in buildings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1437059112239.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	12652

Trying to post front of flyer, see if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
    Trying to post front of flyer, see if this works.

It worked a bit. The full flier is a PDF at their website. I could not see the word gun on it. I think we all believe you. The question is of the legality of prohibiting guns.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It worked a bit. The full flier is a PDF at their website. I could not see the word gun on it. I think we all believe you. The question is of the legality of prohibiting guns.
    Bright yellow on the very bottom = No Fireams.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Does the please continue on for the rest of the sentence? If so, then not bringing firearms is in a request, not law binding. However, if they don't post, how would one know? Heck, I live several hours away. How would I know that firearms are not permitted if it isn't properly posted?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Does the please continue on for the rest of the sentence? If so, then not bringing firearms is in a request, not law binding. However, if they don't post, how would one know? Heck, I live several hours away. How would I know that firearms are not permitted if it isn't properly posted?
    (grammarian cap on) There are 2 sentence-ending punctuation marks between the "Please" and "No firearms"...thus the latter stands on its own.

"Please no dogs!"

"Service animals welcome."

"No Firearms!"

"No Carry Ons!"

"No Pets!"

So you're not allowed to take in pets, food/drink or guns. You can take service animals. You're not allowed to please any dogs.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Sorry to hijack your thread, seemed kinda discussed and this is about county fairs as well.

I open carried at the Oneida County Fair last year with no issues. I was seen by the wandering security, but not stopped, nor talked to. No buildings and you can walk in from anywhere. Free and no specific gates. Two weeks away, and I plan to do the same this year. It's kind of a joke, used to be out at the Hodag, but now at Pioneer Park. No 4H animals which is the real reason I go to a fair to look at the dairy cows and horses. Just to remind myself why I no longer own either........

Lincoln County Fair this coming weekend. Bigger town and maybe a bit more "aggresive" police force? I don't really know, but told they would not appreciate open carry. Free, but gated access, I will have to look for no gun signs before entry. Looking forward to some deep fried cheese curds.Yummy!!!

As far as I can figure from Act 35, special events need a no gun sign posted at all gated entries. No gated entry, can't prohibit firearms. Plus issue of who owns the property. Oneida on city park property, not positive about aboutLincoln but think it used to be County, but just sold to City of Merrill for $1 this spring.