• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shot, killed by Wauwatosa police

Law abider

Once again, (and I have not brought up the in between ones) man shot by police in Milwaukee area. Now we know they get to go on admin leave till the investigation is over, and, except in rare cases they are back on the job. But why shoot to kill, why not incapacitate without death?
That brings me to us, you who OC/CC, if we are put in the same situation what should we do? Shoot till dead? Incapacitate but not kill and perp goes to jail? I understand that in extreme circumstances, we drop the bad guy or we die. I bet if one of us was in the said situation above, we'll go to jail, post bond and go to jail again because the legal system is eager to disarm. But should not leos use non lethal means first. Make every attempt to keep the perp alive? Yes there are those situations. I know it is complex, but I get this feeling there is a double standard and we better not shoot to kill.
As for me I just joined the USCCA, otherwise I don't have any other support for help out there against a system which in general wants us disarmed.

From the PCH:http://www.piercecountyherald.com/n...irreverent-tweet-deputies-lead-42-dogs-womans

Last edited:

The Truth

But why shoot to kill, why not incapacitate without death?
That brings me to us, you who OC/CC, if we are put in the same situation what should we do? Shoot till dead? Incapacitate but not kill and perp goes to jail?

Shoot to stop the threat. If a guy has a gun or a knife one could argue that the threat is not stopped until it is dead. Shoot center mass. It's the biggest target.

This is textbook firearm carry 101. You've been a member since 2011 and you're still asking these types of questions?

Firearms Iinstuctor

They say he had mental problems crazy people do not always do smart things.

Wauwatosa— Two Wauwatosa police officers responding to a call from a landlord about an unruly tenant wielding a sword Thursday night fatally shot the man after he refused to drop it, Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber said Friday.

The officers were called to 8533 Glencoe Circle around 9:17 p.m. Thursday. Shortly after they arrived, the man came out with the sword and ignored multiple requests to put it down, Weber said. One or both of the officers — Weber couldn't confirm which — fired at the man, then tried unsuccessfully to revive him using CPR.

You shoot to stop some times that results in the death of the person you have shot.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Years ago before the 21 foot rule my brother and I were watching the news. A story from the Philippines showed a fellow running amuck with a machete.

A plain clothes police officer approaches him when the guy starts after him he starts running away drawing is revolver and proceeds to miss the machete man 6 times as he fires running away from him.

The machete man catches him and hacks him to death I decide than and there to make sure my rounds count if ever needed.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Another case for not carrying with a empty chamber. Slows the time of the shot down a bit.

The other problem is even if you shoot some body it doesn't mean and instant stop.

Having done these drills it was proven to me get your gun out get some type of barrier between you and the edge weapons carrier if possible.

Just don't stand there thinking your going to out draw and shoot them if they come at you.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

I may have made some difference for the "shooter" in this is he had simply drawn and pointed with the gun next to his ribs instead of extending the arm toward his onrushing "assailant"!

Again, based upon the actions of the "shooter" in this he hasn't had much recent training or practice with a firearm..... just saying!

Law abider

Shoot to stop the threat. If a guy has a gun or a knife one could argue that the threat is not stopped until it is dead. Shoot center mass. It's the biggest target.

This is textbook firearm carry 101. You've been a member since 2011 and you're still asking these types of questions?

I did say in my thread that there are situations that require you to do what you outlined.

1FASTC4

No offense to Mythbusters but they have removed a very important factor from real life, IMHO: recognition.

Our mythbuster shooter is ready to go, already aware that he is going to be charged by a knife weilding dude... he doesnt have to waste any time realizing he's in big trouble. Just my inexpert 2 cents :)

kbrock69

I for one am really glad I read this post! ! I always thought I would be safe within at least 6 to 8 feet!! Wow....what an eye opener! !

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Firearms Iinstuctor

No offense to Mythbusters but they have removed a very important factor from real life, IMHO: recognition.

Our mythbuster shooter is ready to go, already aware that he is going to be charged by a knife weilding dude... he doesnt have to waste any time realizing he's in big trouble. Just my inexpert 2 cents :)

That's is one of the problems with these exercises. With any type of training it is really hard to make it realistic.

A total surprise attack is hard to defend against but that is what quick reaction drills are for, So you react instead of just standing there.

Situational awareness and realizing that something bad is happening goes a long ways to helping you.