• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laser or no laser?

mnrobitaille

After doing some practicing at the local range today, my father caught the bug & started looking at pistols. A couple of them had the Crimson Trace Laser included, & I was wondering are lasers a good thing to have?

Momokahn

The biggest reason I have never purchased one is the hassle of finding a holster to fit your firearm once you equip it with a laser. I know there are plenty of people out there that will melt you a kydex holster to fit but I'm not into kydex myself. I like leather for both IWB and OWB but hey I'm old school. YMMV

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Depends on the purpose of the pistol. For self-defense every day carry, I think not, for the expense, the complexity, the bad habits it encourages. For competition/gaming/ gadgetry ...
+1

Close quarters - heat of the moment - high stress = Point and shoot. Ain't got no time to concentrate on where some red dot is pointed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Crimson Trace laser grips on my EDC 1911. Requires no special holster and is an excellent point n' shoot training aid.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
+1

1. Close quarters
2. - heat of the moment
3. - high stress =
4. Point and shoot. Ain't got no time to concentrate on where some red dot is pointed.

1. situational awareness......but that won't always keep you from danger

2. always seems that way

3. adrenaline dump

4. conversational distance, 'cause you usually don't shoot someone 'til after you have talked to them

two parts to the last. (a) You are about to shoot a human, you better concentrate on what you are doing
(b) If you use a laser in training, you will use it in real life. If it fails you when you need it, and you have trined to its use, you may/will be slower because you look for the dot, not the target.

I use lasers on long guns, and I leave them off my EDC combat pistols. Simple is better.

mnrobitaille

The primary firearms we were looking at, all had the rail-mounted lasers on them.

Which laser is better, the rail-mounted or the lasergrip?

For my Shield 9, I have not seen the lasergrip yet, only the rail-mounted.

MamaLiberty

I bought a good "rail mount" laser for my EDC semi-auto. I use the laser exclusively for dry fire practice. It helps, but I did fine for a long time without it. I did mount it and take it to the range just to check it out... and it fell out of adjustment within a few rounds. Not much help in a live fire situation. Never shot a revolver equipped with a CT grip, but some of my students have had both semi-autos and revolvers with one in the last few years, and they had all acquired some bad habits that seem to be related.

Need to train in as many different situations, with as many different kinds of equipment as possible... That's the only way you'll figure out what works for you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I bought a good "rail mount" laser for my EDC semi-auto. I use the laser exclusively for dry fire practice. It helps, but I did fine for a long time without it. I did mount it and take it to the range just to check it out... and it fell out of adjustment within a few rounds. Not much help in a live fire situation. Never shot a revolver equipped with a CT grip, but some of my students have had both semi-autos and revolvers with one in the last few years, and they had all acquired some bad habits that seem to be related.

Need to train in as many different situations, with as many different kinds of equipment as possible... That's the only way you'll figure out what works for you.

Oh, the heck with it! I'm gonna sell my guns. And, just carry horseshoes and hand grenades. Close counts with those.

And the only training question will be on which side I carry the horseshoes, and which side the hand grenades--don't want to throw a grenade in a non-lethal encounter that calls only for a horseshoe.

:D

MamaLiberty

Oh, the heck with it! I'm gonna sell my guns. And, just carry horseshoes and hand grenades. Close counts with those.

And the only training question will be on which side I carry the horseshoes, and which side the hand grenades--don't want to throw a grenade in a non-lethal encounter that calls only for a horseshoe.

Horseshoes, eh? LOL I can just imagine having your belt hung with those things. If it works for you (just kidding), more power to you. I can't throw the darn things, let alone hit anything with them. I do pretty damned good with the 9mm slugs, however. And I can carry 16 +1 in the gun, and a spare magazine to boot. I've had some pretty hair raising dreams about needing 33 rounds.... but never expect to in real life. But then... you never know.

The only man I ever had to shoot was trying to kill me with his bare hands. Only needed one round for that. :)

solus

Crimson Trace laser grips on my EDC 1911. Requires no special holster and is an excellent point n' shoot training aid.

and for real world grape...worthless as good olde muscle memory pure and simple works every time!!

ipse

solus

can i have first dibbbbbs, can i, huh can i....plleeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
can i have first dibbbbbs, can i, huh can i....plleeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

ipse

Ahhhh--HA! Trying to entrap me into violating some BATFE law about interstate transfer! No way, buster! They'll be sold at a gun show where dealers don't need background checks just so I can drive the antis nuts!

Besides, you don't want them. High-mileage (high round-count), I've practiced a lot.

Now, do something useful and tell me where I can buy .45 caliber horseshoes. Long Colt, ACP--I don't care. As long as their designation starts with the holy numeral "4".

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Lasers have some usage, but in most scenarios they take AWAY from your training. Try both ways. You will be faster for the same hits without using the laser.

A laser would have a tremendous advantage if it became necessary to take a shot from a position that couldn't get your face into aiming position.

My 1911 came with LaserGrips. I took them off and saved them, but I carry everyday with much nicer wood grips.

solus

Ahhhh--HA! Trying to entrap me into violating some BATFE law about interstate transfer! No way, buster! They'll be sold at a gun show where dealers don't need background checks just so I can drive the antis nuts!

Besides, you don't want them. High-mileage (high round-count), I've practiced a lot.

Now, do something useful and tell me where I can buy .45 caliber horseshoes. Long Colt, ACP--I don't care. As long as their designation starts with the holy numeral "4".

citizen if you will them to me no violations...and the name to put on your will is 'solus ipse' :eek:

for horseshoes you might look at the sig 45 with extended mag...push comes to shove you could use it as a billy club when you run out of ammo...darn hefty piece of metal that on...

ipse

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
citizen if you will them to me no violations...and the name to put on your will is 'solus ipse' :eek:

For horseshoes you might look at the sig 45 with extended mag...push comes to shove you could use it as a billy club when you run out of ammo...darn hefty piece of metal that on...

Ipse

rofl!!

Kopis

Ill add my limited lazzzzer experience. Always wanted one, finally got it. So fukin cool. Anyway, it made me a terrible shooter. I spent too much time trying to get right on dead center target instead of just drawing and trusting my instincts and aim.

Holster situation is better than a few years ago but still difficult.

My cat still enjoys the laser though so all is not lost.

kbrock69

My fiancee' wanted me to learn while using a lazer, I told him no way. I want to learn under the worst, hardest, most extreme circumstances, because if I ever need to use my gun, I want to be able to use it under any circumstances. Just like using a telescope on our rifle, nope, told him "I'll keep missing until I can hit it"...and now I can :) Besides, I like the challenge, I like to see how good I can get on my own, old school. I was scared to death of guns until a few years back. Now. I don't know what I was thinking.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk