• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laser or no laser?

MamaLiberty

My fiancee' wanted me to learn while using a lazer, I told him no way. I want to learn under the worst, hardest, most extreme circumstances, because if I ever need to use my gun, I want to be able to use it under any circumstances. Just like using a telescope on our rifle, nope, told him "I'll keep missing until I can hit it"...and now I can :) Besides, I like the challenge, I like to see how good I can get on my own, old school. I was scared to death of guns until a few years back. Now. I don't know what I was thinking.

So glad you have joined the people of the gun! I do hope you will reconsider at least some training aids, however. Learning how to function under stressful and less than ideal circumstances is truly important, but a lot depends on what you are shooting at... and why. If you need to hit something several hundred yards away, a scope is almost priceless. But if you never used a scope, never practiced with it, you would not be able to make that shot effectively.

Most of us don't get as much range time as we'd like, and dry fire is an essential part of handgun practice anyway, so I've found the laser to be a great way to verify my aim in practice. I don't use it all the time, and I don't use it for live fire, so I don't build bad habits with it or count on it for my aim.

kbrock69

So glad you have joined the people of the gun! I do hope you will reconsider at least some training aids, however. Learning how to function under stressful and less than ideal circumstances is truly important, but a lot depends on what you are shooting at... and why. If you need to hit something several hundred yards away, a scope is almost priceless. But if you never used a scope, never practiced with it, you would not be able to make that shot effectively.

Most of us don't get as much range time as we'd like, and dry fire is an essential part of handgun practice anyway, so I've found the laser to be a great way to verify my aim in practice. I don't use it all the time, and I don't use it for live fire, so I don't build bad habits with it or count on it for my aim.
I never considered that! That's a great idea! I am very interested in eventually, once I'm good enough, in joining a woman's group. My daughter is joining ROTC, and is also interested in joining a youth group. That sounds like a great way for both of us to practice, as you know, it's very expensive for both range time and ammo.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

MamaLiberty

as you know, it's very expensive for both range time and ammo.

Range time doesn't have to be expensive.There is no rational reason to fire that much ammunition, unless you just want to.

I do dry fire at least twice a week. I keep a journal of what I am working on and dry fire results. When I go to the range (at least weekly), I usually fire only a dozen or so rounds, very deliberately and ONLY to verify my dry fire practice. If I discover that I'm not getting the effectiveness I expected after a few rounds, I quit shooting and work on something else or do more dry fire.

Learning a skill involves repetitions of perfect or near perfect technique. If you fire off a box full of ammo without good technique... or without knowing one from another... what's the point? If you practice bad habits with those hundreds of rounds fired, it's even worse. A net loss.

Spend quality time in dry fire and other drills. Spend as few rounds as necessary to verify the effectiveness of that practice. If you just want to plink... buy an air rifle/gun and shoot pellets. Lots of fun. :) Good practice too, if you concentrate on your technique.

kbrock69

Range time doesn't have to be expensive.There is no rational reason to fire that much ammunition, unless you just want to.

I do dry fire at least twice a week. I keep a journal of what I am working on and dry fire results. When I go to the range (at least weekly), I usually fire only a dozen or so rounds, very deliberately and ONLY to verify my dry fire practice. If I discover that I'm not getting the effectiveness I expected after a few rounds, I quit shooting and work on something else or do more dry fire.

Learning a skill involves repetitions of perfect or near perfect technique. If you fire off a box full of ammo without good technique... or without knowing one from another... what's the point? If you practice bad habits with those hundreds of rounds fired, it's even worse. A net loss.

Spend quality time in dry fire and other drills. Spend as few rounds as necessary to verify the effectiveness of that practice. If you just want to plink... buy an air rifle/gun and shoot pellets. Lots of fun. :) Good practice too, if you concentrate on your technique.
Thank you...I think I have a new weekend plan [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk