• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC Lawsuit at U-M

Michigander

I've disagreed with Steve Dulan on certain things over the years, but he is no fool and is a very good lawyer. This will be interesting.

apjonas

It is important to remember

that the University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Wayne State University are in a different position than other Michigan public colleges and universities. This suit might work against Eastern Michigan or Ferris State. It is not going to succeed with UM. Sorry. If this is an important issue, you need to change the state constitution.

taxman

Banned
You are correct in saying there are three hard targets and a bunch of soft targets.

But look at it this way:

If you attack the hardest of the hard targets and win, the war is over and all the Unis will have to obey the court decision.
If you attack the hardest target and lose, you're in the same position you were in to begin with.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You are correct in saying there are three hard targets and a bunch of soft targets.

But look at it this way:

If you attack the hardest of the hard targets and win, the war is over and all the Unis will have to obey the court decision.
If you attack the hardest target and lose, you're in the same position you were in to begin with.
Not necessarily so - case law is very weighty and tips the beam.

images

See no reason to provide a history on the wrong side of the scales.

apjonas

Pick Your Battles

But look at it this way:

I see it as three impossible targets and many hard targets. I suppose if you have unlimited resources and don't mind spending up to five years fighting, your view may be acceptable to some. I think the better approach is to attack the prohibitions via the federal courts by making a (U.S.) constitutional argument. The best method is to amend the Michigan constitution to prohibit firearms regulation other than by the legislature.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I see it as three impossible targets and many hard targets. I suppose if you have unlimited resources and don't mind spending up to five years fighting, your view may be acceptable to some. I think the better approach is to attack the prohibitions via the federal courts by making a (U.S.) constitutional argument. The best method is to amend the Michigan constitution to prohibit firearms regulation other than by the legislature.

Do you mean like this:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28slmskzrjq00orxek15gaee2f%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-123-1102

[url]http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28e3a3lrr1sjpiljozkuovymem%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2014-HB-5500

[/URL]

apjonas