• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Owns You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealthyeliminator

Everyone serves one of three masters, whether self, God, or Satan. In reality, "self" is a false master, propped up by Satan.

My soul was bought and paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ. He owns me, for my good and his Glory, and I'm very thankful for it. :)

Why serve a christ if its not in your own best interest to do so?

Words are being confused here, and svg's question is waaaaayyyyy off topic.

The correct answer, in my opinion, to since9, is simply that the axiom of self-ownership is easily reconcilable with Christian beliefs. Surrender and service to Christ doesn't necessarily equate to a transfer of ownership, but regardless of where ownership lies you are either owner or steward and effectively have the rights associated with ownership. So, whether you believe that you own yourself, or God owns you, you have the rights associated with ownership.

Last edited:

solus

What in the Sam Hill is going on and how did this get spun around to a religious topic...AGAIN!!!
Not trying to bowdlerise this thread, but Lordy....switching to religion is worse than referencing the Nazis...

ispe

Ezek

What in the Sam Hill is going on and how did this get spun around to a religious topic...AGAIN!!!
Not trying to bowdlerise this thread, but Lordy....switching to religion is worse than referencing the Nazis...

ispe

SO something like how the Nazi's thought they owned everyone in northern Europe, and therefore had to "purge" the undesirables?

and oh yeah.. NAZI's

sorry you made it hard to resist.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

ispe

Oh, I don't mind a bit of thread drift.

Besides, the philosophical underpinnings of the argument are...well...the underpinnings. No sense in keeping the premises hidden. Besides, in this particular case, I thought Stealthy's reply to Since9 was brilliant. I was sitting here wracking my brain for a reply, and Stealthy nailed it. Moreover, Stealthy's response suggested/prompted some ideas to handle a Christian who's inquired about my OCed gun. For example, if I'm running into a bit of trouble with someone I might suspect is also Christian, I can steer the conversation toward stewardship and/or being my brother's keeper. I might not have ever thunk in that direction at all if Since9 and Stealthy hadn't posted.

sudden valley gunner

Words are being confused here, and svg's question is waaaaayyyyy off topic.

The correct answer, in my opinion, to since9, is simply that the axiom of self-ownership is easily reconcilable with Christian beliefs. Surrender and service to Christ doesn't necessarily equate to a transfer of ownership, but regardless of where ownership lies you are either owner or steward and effectively have the rights associated with ownership. So, whether you believe that you own yourself, or God owns you, you have the rights associated with ownership.

Thats what I was getting at. Self ownership is self interest it is in your own interest to worship whom you choose too. Religion isn't a requirement.

Overton a very religious man recognized this.

stealthyeliminator

What does axiom mean and how is an axiomatic system used?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/axiom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom

Gödel's second incompleteness theorem says that an axiomatic system cannot even demonstrate its own consistency.

I'm not sure that it isn't axiomatic or an axiom, but I'd accept an edit to what you suggested or similar. I don't think that it would necessarily detract from or strengthen the point I was making to recategorize it as a precept or principle, so I'm open to it. To be perfectly honest with you, I have been having a hard time (for quite a while) deciding whether to refer to it as an axiom, or principle, or even something else, and so I pretty much just picked one for the sake of getting the post out. :)

utbagpiper

Banned
.I am just reading up on him wonderful man, something he said about morals fits in with some of us have been arguing but he put it well.....morals cannot contradict reason (logic and self ownership)

There are, of course, at least 3 possibilities regarding that claim about morals and reason.

1-It is possible that the assertion is simply false.

2-It is possible that morals can be arrived at entirely through reason and logic as some (I suspect SVG) would like to believe.

3-It is possible that we are at least as likely to be wrong in our reasoning and logic as we are in morality, such that reasoning and logic cannot be presumed to be an absolute foundation on which to construct morality.

For example, I believe it is obvious to any decent man that the elective abortion of a viable baby for no reason beyond a woman not wanting to be pregnant for a few more weeks/months is morally repulsive. This is evidenced by the fact that those who oppose legal limits on the practice most often feel compelled to use dishonest rhetoric as they talk about the issue; using terms like "tissue" or "fetus" and focusing on the "woman's rights" and otherwise doing their level best to avoid any acknowledgement at all of the innocent life being ended unnaturally and prematurely. Yet, there are very compelling rational and logical arguments for why elective abortion is nothing more than a very personal choice to be made by a pregnant woman without any input at all from society for the life and well being of the child.

In my calculus, any philosophy or argument that arrives at the conclusion that elective abortion is moral is grossly flawed, no matter how rational, logical, or articulately made.

Admittedly, I do believe in a divine source of morality and He had this to say on the matter that might shed some light on our ability to discovery morality through logic alone:

Isaiah 55:8-9

"8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

"9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Charles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There are, of course, at least 3 possibilities regarding that claim about morals and reason.

1-It is possible that the assertion is simply false.
2-It is possible that morals can be arrived at entirely through reason and logic as some (I suspect SVG) would like to believe.
3-It is possible that we are at least as likely to be wrong in our reasoning and logic as we are in morality, such that reasoning and logic cannot be presumed to be an absolute foundation on which to construct morality.

For example, I believe it is obvious to any decent man that the elective abortion of a viable baby for no reason beyond a woman not wanting to be pregnant for a few more weeks/months is morally repulsive. This is evidenced by the fact that those who oppose legal limits on the practice most often feel compelled to use dishonest rhetoric as they talk about the issue; using terms like "tissue" or "fetus" and focusing on the "woman's rights" and otherwise doing their level best to avoid any acknowledgement at all of the innocent life being ended unnaturally and prematurely. Yet, there are very compelling rational and logical arguments for why elective abortion is nothing more than a very personal choice to be made by a pregnant woman without any input at all from society for the life and well being of the child.

In my calculus, any philosophy or argument that arrives at the conclusion that elective abortion is moral is grossly flawed, no matter how rational, logical, or articulately made.

Admittedly, I do believe in a divine source of morality and He had this to say on the matter that might shed some light on our ability to discovery morality through logic alone:

Isaiah 55:8-9
"8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
"9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

There are several problems with the ideas in the quote balloon above.

Regarding morals and reason, point number two above contains a contradiction and invalidation. The sentence says it is a possibility that morals can be determined entirely through reason, but then says, "...as some...would like to believe."

Omitted from the list of possibilities is the concept that reason, applied across time, and communication between people, can evolve higher and higher moral standards; and persuade others who, applying their own reason, can agree and even add to the discussion. Also, errors in reasoning can be exposed. More data can be discovered. More reason applied. The ideas in the quote balloon seem to have as a foundational premise the idea that relevant data cannot be discovered and reason applied to the new information, re-evaluating the entire system of thought if need be, realigning premises and conclusions. Such a premise--that relevant information is undiscoverable (aka unknowable)--is the same premise behind witch-doctors who claim only they can interpret the spirits' state of mind, only the high priests of Om can interpret Om's signs. Same premise, different use. Old. Very old.

Regarding abortion, I will only touch in passing on the insults: "morally repulsive" and "grossly flawed."

Yet, after all the invalidation, we see no explanation, no rational argument explaining why elective abortion is immoral. Just the unsupported statement about any decent man would find elective abortion morally repulsive. Circular argument.

Before I go on, a little disclosure here: I consider myself religious.

Let's ignore for a moment the unsupported arguments in the quote balloon against elective abortion. Just set that aside. There is something much more important: the ideas have at their core an unstated transfer of responsibility. Here is what I mean by that.

If one is religious--and I am absolutely not saying the author isn't--then one necessarily believes Man is/has a soul. Well, if a man has a soul, then there must be a precise instant in time in which the soul or spirit takes up residence in the body. I mean this literally. I am not now talking about theoreticals. I am talking down-to-earth, everyday stuff. As real as flipping a switch and the kitchen lights coming on.

At what point does that occur? At which exact instant does the soul/spirit take up residence in the body? It is a crucial question with regard to elective abortion. Destroy a fetus after the soul has taken up residence, and there is no two ways about it--it is murder. Destroy a fetus before the soul has taken up residence in the body, and its just so much tissue being separated from the mother.

I have yet to meet a religious anti-abortionist who could say when the soul/spirit took up residence in the body without relying on faith. Most from who I've heard said some version of, "Well, I believe..." Whoa!! Full stop!!! BRAKES!!! I didn't ask what you believe. I am asking what you observed.

You see, this is getting close to the bottom of the premises. Many seem to believe the soul/spirit is created at the instant of conception. But, none have described to me facts and observations that would lead to that conclusion without relying heavily on faith.

So, here is where the transfer of responsibility fits in. "God told me." Through a priest, bishop, or scripture, and conclusions derived therefrom. Too often the faithful seem to forget their own responsibility in the matter: at some point in their life they decided to accept scripture to whichever degree for their own personal reason. Then, they assign something to God, forgetting it was their own personal decision--their own personal responsibility--to rely on scripture or assign it a degree of truth. But, who did the assigning? That's my point. That's the transfer of responsibility: forgetting that they themselves did it.

I have no problem with a man or women assigning truth or reality to scripture. I have a problem with a man or woman forgetting that he personally did it. And, I have lots and lots of problem with fellow faithful imposing their morality on others, transferring the responsibility for their ideas to God when it was they themselves who decided to assign Truth to scripture.

Where is the morality in forcing a woman to forego an elective abortion, bearing and raising an unwanted child, when the demander himself has transferred responsibility to God? When the demander himself cannot say when the soul takes up residence, changing the fetus from tissue to person?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Yet, there are very compelling rational and logical arguments for why elective abortion is nothing more than a very personal choice to be made by a pregnant woman without any input at all from society for the life and well being of the child.

Just to steer back to the thread topic: and there is the idea that society has ownership interest in the woman's body senior to her own ownership.

utbagpiper

Banned
in the quote balloon above.

the quote balloon

the quote balloon

the author

Ah, Citizen.

So much thoughtful, decent material to consider and respond to. A chance for a civil and meaningful discussion.

Yet you mar those thoughts, degrade them even, with another exhibition of your peurile and adolescent refusal to address your equal as a man, by name or user name. Why?

Why does it pain you so to give the respect that you so vehemently demand for yourself? "in the quote balloon" above and "the author" saves nothing in typing compared to Utbagpiper or Charles. In fact, starting a post with the standard salutation of one of those then makes it perfectly civil and reasonable to use "you" throughout.

The irony, your hypocrisy here, is that you have in the past made grand objections to what you took as insults and denying you of respect when I (and a couple of others) used logic in a way you found objectionable. In other words, with no deliberate intention to disrespect you, you chose to take great offense and claim personal slight and accuse others of lack of respect over not using logic as you see fit. Yet here you are, very deliberately continuing to engage in sophomoric tactics of refusing to address me by name, going to great lengths to avoid addressing me by name. You take offense and claim insult from entirely unintended sources but then turn around and deliberately engage in forms of communications that you do intend to be insulting, demeaning, to deny that I am your equal, worthy of being addressed as a man, as your equal. Do your great swelling words about defending all of my rights, of viewing me as an equal whom you can't justly rule over only apply to those who agree with you or who you find agreeable? Or are you sincere enough if your rhetoric to show the minimum level of respect even to one whose positions you find abhorrent and objectionable?

Given what you've posted since returning to the forum, it is obvious to me that this is being done as a deliberate slight, an insult that will get past the moderators. Doubly so since I've brought this up in the past. I will give you the chance to deny that and provide some other explanation for your fairly unique forms of not addressing me even as you so often feel compelled to respond to what I've posted.

On the subject of who owns Citizen, we might ask whether you are owned by your claimed virtues and values or whether you allow your petty grievances to own and control your conduct.

There is no reward in loving those who love you. The real test of civility is loving those who (you believe, however wrongly) hate you.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Just to steer back to the thread topic: and there is the idea that society has ownership interest in the woman's body senior to her own ownership.

Just to remind you of my prediction, the only way that a decent man can justify legalized elective abortion is to focus on the woman while ignoring the life of the baby.

Who owns the baby, Citizen?

Does the woman have an ownership interest in the life and body of the baby she carries greater than the baby itself?

Are children merely the property of the parents until some magical age?

Or does a child have an interest in himself? And if so, does a civil, humane society not have some interest, even some moral responsibility, to help the helpless and powerless to protect that interest, that first interest of life itself?

As I claimed, any philosophy that forces to arrive at an obviously immoral conclusion, is flawed relative to the claim that morality and logic cannot disagree.

Charles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just to remind you of my prediction, the only way that a decent man can justify legalized elective abortion is to focus on the woman while ignoring the life of the baby.

Who owns the baby, Citizen?

Does the woman have an ownership interest in the life and body of the baby she carries greater than the baby itself?

Are children merely the property of the parents until some magical age?

Or does a child have an interest in himself? And if so, does a civil, humane society not have some interest, even some moral responsibility, to help the helpless and powerless to protect that interest, that first interest of life itself?

As I claimed, any philosophy that forces to arrive at an obviously immoral conclusion, is flawed relative to the claim that morality and logic cannot disagree.

Charles

This is just another evasion. The ideas start from an unstated premise--an assumed, unsupported premise. It is simply re-assertion of the earlier post without elaboration or explanation of the underlying premise.

When does the soul take up residence in the body?

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Citizen,

Having frankly told you of the offense I felt at your form of address, I'm inclined to see if you are willing to have a civil dialogue. So I'm going to go forward with that here.

If you desire to respond, in a civil manner, I ask that you show me the same courtesy I'm showing you: start your post by addressing me directly by either name or username, and then simply focus on the topic at hand. If that is more than you are willing to do, I ask you to be civil enough to simply ignore entirely.

Fair enough?

Omitted from the list of possibilities

I never claimed the list was exhaustive. Let's examine your possibility since it is interesting to me..

is the concept that reason, applied across time, and communication between people, can evolve higher and higher moral standards; and persuade others who, applying their own reason, can agree and even add to the discussion. Also, errors in reasoning can be exposed. More data can be discovered. More reason applied.

Does this not concede then that at any given moment reason, and (lack of available) data, may be wrong?

Stepping back for a moment from laws and policies, do you not accept that there is a source of universal morality? That God has conduct he expects of us, individually? Or, in secular terms, that what is truly moral doesn't change even if our understanding of what is moral or why it is moral does change (and hopefully improve) over time?

IOW, I think you've just conceded my point. Our best data, our best logic and reasoning, today, may very well lead us to adopt a position that is not moral. It may be less immoral than what our parents accepted. But being less wrong isn't the same as being correct.

If there is a source of absolute morality--or if morality simply is absolute--then the fact that we have to expose errors, gather more data, and grow into better morality means that logic, reason, and data are flawed, incomplete, and not a solid foundation on which to build morality.

Admittedly, they may be the only foundation that is universally accepted in a secular, pluralistic society for the foundation of laws. But I wouldn't ask you to abandon your anarchist principles to argue for any foundation of laws other than individual consent in the moment. And I suspect that in making the post to which I responded, SVG was also talking of individual morality, rather than claiming any basis for society to impose laws on the unwilling.

This means our discussion will have to be limited to whether logic, reason, and data, are at any given point in time, the sure foundation on which to discern individual morality.

The ideas in the quote balloon seem to have as a foundational premise ....that relevant information is undiscoverable (aka unknowable)--is the same premise behind witch-doctors who claim only they can interpret the spirits' state of mind, only the high priests of Om can interpret Om's signs.

Not my premise at all. But in taking that tact, you've helped articulate how current logic and reason, impeded by faulty or incomplete data can so readily arrive at a wrong conclusion. Hence, it seems self evident that logic and reason cannot be solely relied upon to determine true and eternal morality.

So I appreciate you exploring the angle.

Regarding abortion, I will only touch in passing on the insults: "morally repulsive" and "grossly flawed."

Insults? Nay.

Merely observations. Claims perhaps.

Can you tell me that you don't find elective, late-term, partial-birth abortion to be "morally repulsive"? Does the notion of taking a fully viable child, days or short weeks before expected delivery, inducing a partial, breech delivery and then severing the spinal cord, suctioning out the brains, and ultimately crushing the skull for no other reason than the mother doesn't care to be pregnant for 2 more weeks to be morally repulsive? Is it really any less gut wrenching than a 2 week old baby being left to die in a garbage can rather than turned over to someone who is willing and able to care for the baby?

With very good reason has our nation banned partial birth abortions. With good reason did even the court of 40 years ago discover only a right to elective abortions in the first 6 months, but not after what (was then) the point at which viability outside the womb became distinctly possible.

So on what basis do you find my description of elective abortion to be an "insult?"

Yet, after all the invalidation, we see no explanation, no rational argument explaining why elective abortion is immoral. Just the unsupported statement about any decent man would find elective abortion morally repulsive. Circular argument.

Kind of like the circular arguments that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? I'm sorry Citizen, you cannot lean so heavily on the "self-evident truths" expressed in the DoI at a time when they were anything but self-evident to much of humanity with its royalty and castes and classes being such a major component of the human condition when such self-evident truths support your views, and then turn around and complain about "circular logic" when someone points out another self-evident truth. If PBA or elective abortion generally is nor morally repulsive, then why do even supporters claim to want it to be "safe, legal, and RARE."

No one suggests that removing moles, or colon polyps, or cancer tumors should be "rare" now do they?

If you wish to tell me that you do not find elective abortion to be morally offensive, and that the offensiveness grows the later in the pregnancy it occurs, then do so straight up.

But I have no intention of engaging in some formal debate with rules here. We are men, intelligent, moral, decent men, conversing as men. There is a place for formal logic and debate governed by strict rules. But the great questions of the ages--self-governance rather than rule from England, abolition or slavery, equality of men or castes, pure self-interest or a regard for others--are answered at least as much in a man's heart and conscience as they are strictly in his head.

There are powerful and compelling arguments against legal bans on elective abortion. But sideways claims that elective abortions are not morally troubling (at least), are not going to cut the mustard.

Before I go on, a little disclosure here: I consider myself religious.

I am aware of that, but I believe it is largely irrelevant to our discussion, except as you might accept that God is a source of absolute morality. The secular might well accept that there is some absolute, true morality to be discovered. You and I might accept some divine influence in guiding our conscience while the irreligious would simply attribute near universal concurrence on certain matters to be evidence of evolutionary mechanism at work.

There is something much more important: the ideas have at their core an unstated transfer of responsibility. Here is what I mean by that. ... "God told me." .... But, who did the assigning? That's my point. That's the transfer of responsibility: forgetting that they themselves did it.

An interesting side discussion, but not my point at all. So I'll leave it for another day. You will note that nowhere in my post about morality or abortion did I invoke God.

Back on point:

Well, if a man has a soul, then there must be a precise instant in time in which the soul or spirit takes up residence in the body. I mean this literally. ...

At what point does that occur? At which exact instant does the soul/spirit take up residence in the body? It is a crucial question with regard to elective abortion. Destroy a fetus after the soul has taken up residence, and there is no two ways about it--it is murder. Destroy a fetus before the soul has taken up residence in the body, and its just so much tissue being separated from the mother.

I didn't ask what you believe. I am asking what you observed.

Or, from a totally secular point of view, at what moment does the mass of cells assume the characteristics and thus the rights of being human? We religious fanatics can talk of souls, but we can't observe them. What we all can observe are things like statistical viability outside the womb. We can observe independent heartbeats and blood flow. We can observe measurable brain activity, independent motion, sleep and wake cycles.

If human rights are inherent in being human--as opposed to being contingent upon self-reliance, or ability to defend those rights--then these are the metrics we must use to determine when rights are endowed. It is not in the ability to defend rights, but inherent in being human that a human has the right to life, is it not? So what are the traits that make a human a human? Independent heart beat? Independent brain activity? Self directed motion? Certainly not something so trivial as whether the lungs have breathed air or not?

When it comes time to harvest organs for transplant, we have a rigorous set of neurological tests to determine whether that "person" lying before us is still a person, or whether he is--for all legal, moral, and other purposes--deceased and now merely a mass of tissues, some of which might be used to save or improve the life of another. It seem our neurologists can differentiate between comas, persistent vegetative states, and actual death such that we don't actually cut open the chests of living men to retrieve organs, but we only remove organs and tissues after someone has actually died and his body is temporary kept from starting to decay and decompose through the use of artificial means like respirators.

Would not logic, reason, and simple consistency suggest that similar tests might be used to determine whether life has yet begun, or whether the fetus is merely an inanimate mass of cells?

By your own admission, to kill a living soul (or an actual living human being), is murder. It is immoral.

To remove an unwanted growth that is not (yet) an actual living human being, is a strictly private medical matter.

The problem, of course, is that the tests that determine life has ended clearly demonstrate that life has started much earlier than abortionists are willing to concede that any legal limits at all are acceptable. And so, they use "logic" and "reason" and some data, and a lot of misdirection to avoid dealing with that issue directly.

Where is the morality in forcing a woman to forego an elective abortion, bearing and raising an unwanted child, when the demander ... himself cannot say when the soul takes up residence, changing the fetus from tissue to person?

Where is the morality in potentially committing murder simply because we are not quite sure whether the target of our actions is a mass of cells or a human being?

When it comes to human life, we normally place such a high value that we adopt rules like, "Know your target and what is beyond," and "Only use deadly force with a reasonable man belief it is essential to protect life and limb."

You and I would both roundly castigate any man who took a "brush shot" at what he thought might be a deer, but then discovered he had shot and killed an innocent human being. Ditto any man who woke to noises and started shooting through his front (or bathroom) door before determining there was a real and immediate threat, rather than his wife getting home a day early from her business trip.

Yet when it comes to purely elective abortion, you want me to flip that standard on its head and permit anything until we can prove the child is a living soul?

Citizen, where is the reason, logic, and data as well as consistency of views which you value so highly? Why have you given flight to them in this case?

I suspect that fear of government power is taking a higher priority to you than protection of innocent human life. And that is fair game. But you've left it noticeably unacknowledged.

And for the record, nobody I know suggests a woman has to raise a child she doesn't want. We just don't want her to murder it (your description if the child is a living soul) out of that being slightly more convenient than adoption.

Charles

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned

Perhaps we should use the same neurological tests used to determine when the soul leaves the body before declaring a person legally dead and eligible to have his vital organs harvested for transplant.

But even in the absence of knowing for sure, when it comes to human life, should we not err on the side of preserving life until it can be demonstrated conclusively that there is no human life to preserve?

Know your target and what is beyond, kind of thing.

Charles

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Citizen,...

We just don't want her to murder it (your description if the child is a living soul) out of that being slightly more convenient than adoption.

Just so much smoke, mirrors, emotionalism, and unsupported assertions. In a nutshell, evasion masquerading as serious dialogue.

The ideas offered all rely on the unsupported premise that the soul takes up residence prior to birth. It is a crucial point. If the soul takes up residence prior to birth, then it is a human being. If not, the fetus is just so much tissue inside the mother. All the maundering around in circles using words like "gut-wrenching" and "morally repulsive" do not change that. In fact, the language used assumes the soul already resides in the body before birth.

So, I'll ask again. When does the soul take up residence in the body?

utbagpiper

Banned
Just so much smoke, mirrors, emotionalism, and unsupported assertions. In a nutshell, evasion masquerading as serious dialogue.

Citizen,

I'm really very disappointing. It is one thing to disagree, even strongly. It is quite another to simply dismiss and insult making no attempt to respond at all. You've not even had time to read, much less think about my verbose post. It reached a conclusion you don't like, so it is "evasion".

Not civil or respectful at all, Citizen. It isn't a race to see who can't post fastest. Read. Think. THEN respond.

What soul? Why would you limit the discussion to a religious concept which CANNOT ever be proven rather than using terms, reasoning, and data that would appeal equally to a person who doesn't believe in God?

The ideas offered all rely on the unsupported premise that the soul takes up residence prior to birth. It is a crucial point. If the soul takes up residence prior to birth, then it is a human being. If not, the fetus is just so much tissue inside the mother. All the maundering around in circles using words like "gut-wrenching" and "morally repulsive" do not change that. In fact, the language used assumes the soul already resides in the body before birth.

So, I'll ask again. When does the soul take up residence in the body?

And again, what soul? Why invoke a religious concept that you KNOW can never be proven?

Why not discuss medical tests, objective data, and the criteria we use to determine life or absence of life at the other end of life?

The answer is obvious. You don't want to discuss objective data that might lead to a result you oppose and so you will harp on an idea that you know can't be objectively proven.

What is it that makes a human a human, makes her equal to all other humans, and gives her a claim on the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness regardless of whether someone believes in God or souls?

What are those traits, Citizen?

Certainly an objectivist, even a religious objectivist discussing whether reason and logic are, of themselves, sound foundations for determining morals, would rather discuss objective data when available than drift into wholly religious matters.

So let's discuss the traits that make a human a human and give her claim to the rights to life, liberty, equality with all other humans, and the pursuit of happiness.

Then we can discuss whether those human-defining traits are present before, or only after birth.

Stop assuming that a person can't be a human until after birth and look at objective data objectively.

Charles

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP What soul? Why would you limit the discussion to a religious concept which CANNOT ever be proven rather than using terms, reasoning, and data that would appeal equally to a person who doesn't believe in God?...

And again, what soul? Why invoke a religious concept that you KNOW can never be proven?...

Finally!!! The religious objection to elective abortion is demolished--the exact point at which the soul takes up residence in the tiny body cannot be proven. (I happen to disagree with this: whether it can be proved depends in part on the ability of a person to observe it, or remember doing it himself. That is to say, the proof depends in part on the ability of the recipient to evaluate that proof.) But, I'll take the concession nonetheless because it demolishes the ability of the quoted thinker to hinge his arguments on religious grounds.

Now its down to whether he considers himself enough better, smarter, whatever, than the woman to justify coercing her to carry to term an unwanted fetus and deliver it. In effect saying society owns her in part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.