• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Owns You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezek

Meh, we're all owned by the banks, we just don't know it. *puts on shiny tin foil hat*

I will say if you convey the self ownership and the responsibility to protect your property is individualistic, such as what sudden valley has suggested, it will be rather short, and to the point.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Maybe the statement "It is about self ownership", if you see an interest expand if not, then keep it short to something like "since I own myself it is up to me provide for defense of myself".

+1

Either you own yourself, or you do not. Some do not own their physical bodies (slaves) and some do not own their minds (the vast majority of people on the planet). It is easier to enslave the mind than the body and where the mind goes, the body follows.

carolina guy

Yes putting the question to them is the best tactic. The same premise would still apply. I like the tactic. Get past the common left/right (false paradigm) and actually get to the base of property rights.

Again +1.

The only real fly in the ointment is when you discuss the draft for military duty...then one must assert one's ownership of one's self most ardently. ;)

stealthyeliminator

Again +1.

The only real fly in the ointment is when you discuss the draft for military duty...then one must assert one's ownership of one's self most ardently. ;)

Doesn't the government trick you into "signing up for" the draft by attaching it to the DL or something?

Which brings up another question, perhaps for another day... What's the legitimacy of such contracts? Surely they can't be reasonably deemed legitimate.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Doesn't the government trick you into "signing up for" the draft by attaching it to the DL or something?

I've never seen it attached to driver licenses, but the law is in effect requiring males aged 18 to 26 to register with Selective Services for potential conscription. Prosecutions are rare, but failure to register will result in ineligibility for (federally secured) student loans, federal jobs training, federal employment, and federal security clearances. Non-citizens can be denied naturalization. Actual criminal penalties can run to $250,000 in fines and up to 5 years in prison.

Regulations are codified at 32 C.F.R. 1600–1699 (Chapter XVI). The Selective Service maintains their webpage at https://www.sss.gov/

As for contracts or limits on property use such as HOA CC&Rs, zoning, historic district limitations, etc, methinks such contracts and limits are every bit as valid as utility or other easements common across otherwise private property. There is certainly property to be purchased not subject to such restrictions for those who don't want anyone else telling them how to landscape their yard or what color to paint the fence. The flip side is that neither do they then get to impose any such restrictions on their neighbors. Obviously, this is exactly the situation some folks desire. But there are many others who love the look and atmosphere of a neighborhood, but then chafe at living under the same limits that keep all their neighbors from changing the neighborhood characteristics as well.

The consideration is simple: We mutually accept limits on what we can do with our property as our neighbors do likewise. None of us end up with an unwanted pig farm, brothel, gas station, or shooting range next door to our house

Charles

Charles

stealthyeliminator

I've never seen it attached to driver licenses, but the law is in effect requiring males aged 18 to 26 to register with Selective Services for potential conscription. Prosecutions are rare, but failure to register will result in ineligibility for (federally secured) student loans, federal jobs training, federal employment, and federal security clearances. Non-citizens can be denied naturalization. Actual criminal penalties can run to $250,000 in fines and up to 5 years in prison.

Regulations are codified at 32 C.F.R. 1600–1699 (Chapter XVI). The Selective Service maintains their webpage at https://www.sss.gov/
Charles

Thanks for the info, that's something I'm not very familiar with.

Also, WOW. Am I the only one completely shocked and/or disgusted reading through the website?

utbagpiper

Banned
Thanks for the info, that's something I'm not very familiar with.

You're welcome.

It is important data to be aware of, regardless of how one feels about the law; seeing as how it is the law. Near as I can tell, failure to register before 26 can lead to nearly a lifetime scarlet letter in terms of eligibility for various federal benefits...unless one can demonstrate later that failure to register was not intentional and knowing.

I suspect any further discussion of military conscription would be highly distracting to the OP's desires for this thread so I won't derail further.

Charles

OC for ME

Got a letter from SSA, been in 5+ years, we pulled into Germany after 3 months up under the ice, got the mail bag. I had failed to sign up and was informed that I was not eligible for federal service. Went to the XO, showed him the letter, and requested to be let off the boat. The XO, and now Old Man listening, snatched the letter from my hand, tore it to little bitty pieces and told me to get my butt back to work. Old Man said nice try.

Not another word heard from SSA.

OC for ME

Oh I have read it. The bent of the oligarchs in black robes has little to do with constitutionality.

No where does it say someone can be conscripted against their will.
True, nor does it state that Congress, when going about:
To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;
To provide and maintain a navy;To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;
To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;
Is prohibited from conscripting members of the citizenry.

This topic has been addressed before. http://www.history.com/news/four-days-of-fire-the-new-york-city-draft-riots

utbagpiper

Banned
Got a letter from SSA, been in 5+ years, we pulled into Germany after 3 months up under the ice, got the mail bag. I had failed to sign up and was informed that I was not eligible for federal service. Went to the XO, showed him the letter, and requested to be let off the boat. The XO, and now Old Man listening, snatched the letter from my hand, tore it to little bitty pieces and told me to get my butt back to work. Old Man said nice try.

Not another word heard from SSA.

From The Selective Services website:

Selective Services said:
If you failed to register with Selective Service, Section 12(g) of the Military Selective Service Act allows non-registrants to receive benefits under specific conditions. As a veteran, or part-time National Guard or Reservist, you satisfy those conditions with your DD Form 214 showing the dates of your military service, or a current military ID card if still on active duty or a member of the National Guard and Reserves. These documents serve as evidence that your failure to register was not knowing and willful.

A person who volunteered for military service would not deliberately defy a process that might result in military service. Therefore, men who served on full-time active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces should not be denied student financial aid, loans, or grants; vocational training under WIA; government employment; and security clearances, on the basis of their failure to register with Selective Service.

As long as you have proof of your active duty military service, such as your DD 214, or current military ID card if still on active duty or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, your subsequent failure to register should not be a bar to any benefits or programs, contingent upon registration compliance, for which you are otherwise qualified.

Seems on rare occasion the federal government actually uses logic. Probably just to keep us guessing. :)

Charles

solus

thanks OC4ME, why i roam the treads...i learn so much from some folk's knowledge...thanks for sharing...

ipse

sudden valley gunner

True, nor does it state that Congress, when going about:Is prohibited from conscripting members of the citizenry.

This topic has been addressed before. http://www.history.com/news/four-days-of-fire-the-new-york-city-draft-riots

Lincoln was a tyrant.

Not prohibiting them from drafting on a constitutional limited government a government that is supposed to only exist to protect individual rights does not mean they have the power or authority to conscript.

SCOTUS's ruling was basically .....well since other empires do it ours should be able to too.

Daniel Webster a not exactly one against a centralized power gave a great speech on how and why it is unconstitutional.

FUQ- That measures of this nature should be debated at all, in the councils of a free government, is a cause of dismay. The question is nothing less than whether the most essential rights of personal liberty shall be surrendered, and despotism embraced in its worst form.

http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/2070

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Being able to conscript someone means the state owns you.......that silly DOI......was it a lie?

<chuckle> I was literally just thinking about it this morning.

Nope. Its the government that is lying about its justifications for deviating from the DOI (Declaration of Independence).

A while back I got to thinking about the first sentences of the second paragraph. "We hold these truths...unalienable rights...to protect these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

It occurred to me that the whole justification for the break from England was embodied in those first few sentences. Of course, the next thought was something like: well, if that justification was valid, then it necessarily follows that any government in this country that did not/does not adhere to those principles was/is illegitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.