Thread: Gun Purchase

Gun Purchase

I am having trouble finding some information online. I was thinking of purchasing a firearm this week however, I realized my DL has my old address on it. I do have my change of address card but not sure if that's enough. Every other form I have is correct with my current address I just wasn't in the mood to give dmv $20 for a new DL. Will this work or will I have to wait. Thanks

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Would anticipate no problems.

https://www.atf.gov/file/83651/download
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-20-2015 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I've used the update card in the past with no problems.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverhound View Post
    I've used the update card in the past with no problems.
    Should be no problem but it depends on the dealer. Some dealers are as anti as Goddard it seems.
    There's also my favorite, face to face.
    If you want to have it turned down and be insulted by a bunch of hippies, shop at DarkSun.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-20-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Should be no problem but it depends on the dealer. Some dealers are as anti as Goddard it seems.
    There's also my favorite, face to face.
    If you want to have it turned down and be insulted by a bunch of hippies, shop at DarkSun.
    DarkSun is synonymous with where-the sun-don't-shine - I don't recommend that anyone go there to make their purchases........or even ask questions
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    DarkSun...
    They weren't at the Hampton show this past weekend.

While I've had no issues through multiple purchases from them over the years, I certainly have seen issues others have had.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    They weren't at the Hampton show this past weekend.

While I've had no issues through multiple purchases from them over the years, I certainly have seen issues others have had.
    When I expressed unsolicited shock (completely inadvertent slip of the tongue) responding to a price quote with "What!", one of their principals threatened to come out from behind the counter saying, I'll beat your azz!"

Reported it to the show promoter - maybe should have pursued an assault complaint.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-20-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    FYI Rod Hodge the cofounder of Dark Sun died of a heart attack after the most recent Richmond show.

If you are looking for a transfer for your new open carry firearm, I would recommend Sonny's Guns.
    Last edited by speed41ae; 07-21-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by longwatch View Post
    FYI Rod Hodge the cofounder of Dark Sun died of a heart attack after the most recent Richmond show.
    May he rest in peace.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitcheltree5001 View Post
    I am having trouble finding some information online. I was thinking of purchasing a firearm this week however, I realized my DL has my old address on it. I do have my change of address card but not sure if that's enough. Every other form I have is correct with my current address I just wasn't in the mood to give dmv $20 for a new DL. Will this work or will I have to wait. Thanks
    Purchase from a private seller.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

That's too bad. Thanks for the update.

Is that the father that owns Patriot Services, the son or a third one I don't know?

Back to the OPs issue, the internet as in facebook is chock full of ftf sakes sites and they usually have a few dealers giving way discounted prices.

Is that the father that owns Patriot Services, the son or a third one I don't know?

Back to the OPs issue, the internet as in facebook is chock full of ftf sakes sites and they usually have a few dealers giving way discounted prices.
    Hey! If you are going to drive someone towards the internet how about driving them to one of OCDO's sponsors? Virginia Gun Trader http://www.vaguntrader.com/ is built on FTF sales, and the guys that run it offer free use of their table-space at the gun shows for anybody that is wanting to sell/trade. (Yes, folks there often inflate the value of what they are seeking to sell, and potential buyers often insultingly low-ball their offers. But that allows for the fun of haggling.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I think it's the son of the Patriot Services owner. Rod, I believe, was the one with longish straight brown hair.

I think it's the son of the Patriot Services owner. Rod, I believe, was the one with longish straight brown hair.
    Thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Hey! If you are going to drive someone towards the internet how about driving them to one of OCDO's sponsors? Virginia Gun Trader http://www.vaguntrader.com/ is built on FTF sales, and the guys that run it offer free use of their table-space at the gun shows for anybody that is wanting to sell/trade. (Yes, folks there often inflate the value of what they are seeking to sell, and potential buyers often insultingly low-ball their offers. But that allows for the fun of haggling.)

stay safe.
    Never had much luck there Skid. It was good in the beginning but too many scammers, no shows and chain jerkers. Got em on facebook but they get booted fast. There is a Va. Gun traders on facebook, but I dont know if it's the same people.

Never had much luck there Skid. It was good in the beginning but too many scammers, no shows and chain jerkers. Got em on facebook but they get booted fast. There is a Va. Gun traders on facebook, but I dont know if it's the same people.
    Agreed. Made note of them especially because of their standing offer of table space at gun shows.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

As a legal matter, yes, that's enough. Basically you have to produce documentation showing that (1) you are who you say you are, and (2) you live where you say you live. As to the latter, a utility bill mailed to you at that address with your name on it is good enough.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ub...(FROM_DARKSUN)

Here is what the V-Check manual says:

VFTP Dealers Procedures Manual

Revised July 1, 2012 V-1

V. IDENTIFICATION AND RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS

The dealer shall determine residency and verify the prospective purchaser's identity as required in
    Section B of the SP-65 form by requiring a primary and a secondary form of identification that denote
    the address of the prospective purchaser. Only the forms of identification listed shall be acceptable to
    establish identity and residency.

A. Primary ID

The primary form of ID shall consist of a valid photo-ID form issued by a governmental agency
    of the Commonwealth (residents) or of the prospective purchaser’s home state (nonresidents)
    that denotes the individual’s name, sex, and date of birth.
    1. Where the primary form is a photo-ID issued by the Virginia Department of Motor
    Vehicles (DMV), the dealer shall not transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until
    30 days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless a copy of
    his/her DMV driver's record is presented showing that the original date of issue was
    more than 30 days prior to the attempted purchase.
    2. A State Department Driver's License is an acceptable primary form of identification: a
    photo-identification issued by a [Federal] Governmental Agency that indicates the
    individual's name, address, sex, and date of birth.

3. The DMV will not issue an original license, permit, or ID card to any applicant who has
    not presented evidence that he/she is a citizen of the United States, a legal permanent
    resident, or an authorized temporary resident alien of the United States. In the instance
    of temporary residence (nonimmigrant status), the driver’s license or ID card will only be
    valid during the period of authorized stay in the United States.

B. Secondary Identification
    The secondary forms of ID must show an address identical to that shown on the photoidentification
    form. The following are acceptable forms of secondary identification:
    1. A current lease.
    2. Evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax.
    3. A current utility or telephone bill.
    4. A current voter registration card.
    5. A current bank check.
    6. A current passport.
    7. A current automobile registration.
    8. A current hunting or fishing license.
    9. Other current identification allowed as evidence of residency by Part 178.124 of Title 27
    of the Code of Federal Regulations and BATF Ruling 2001-5 or other documentation of
    residence determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services
    that corroborates that the prospective purchaser currently resides in Virginia.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776