• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Purchase

rmitcheltree5001

I am having trouble finding some information online. I was thinking of purchasing a firearm this week however, I realized my DL has my old address on it. I do have my change of address card but not sure if that's enough. Every other form I have is correct with my current address I just wasn't in the mood to give dmv $20 for a new DL. Will this work or will I have to wait. Thanks

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've used the update card in the past with no problems.
Should be no problem but it depends on the dealer. Some dealers are as anti as Goddard it seems.
There's also my favorite, face to face.
If you want to have it turned down and be insulted by a bunch of hippies, shop at DarkSun.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Should be no problem but it depends on the dealer. Some dealers are as anti as Goddard it seems.
There's also my favorite, face to face.
If you want to have it turned down and be insulted by a bunch of hippies, shop at DarkSun.
DarkSun is synonymous with where-the sun-don't-shine - I don't recommend that anyone go there to make their purchases........or even ask questions

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They weren't at the Hampton show this past weekend.

While I've had no issues through multiple purchases from them over the years, I certainly have seen issues others have had.
When I expressed unsolicited shock (completely inadvertent slip of the tongue) responding to a price quote with "What!", one of their principals threatened to come out from behind the counter saying, I'll beat your azz!"

Reported it to the show promoter - maybe should have pursued an assault complaint.

Last edited:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
FYI Rod Hodge the cofounder of Dark Sun died of a heart attack after the most recent Richmond show.

twoskinsonemanns

I am having trouble finding some information online. I was thinking of purchasing a firearm this week however, I realized my DL has my old address on it. I do have my change of address card but not sure if that's enough. Every other form I have is correct with my current address I just wasn't in the mood to give dmv $20 for a new DL. Will this work or will I have to wait. Thanks

Purchase from a private seller.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
FYI Rod Hodge the cofounder of Dark Sun died of a heart attack after the most recent Richmond show.
Is that the father that owns Patriot Services, the son or a third one I don't know?

Back to the OPs issue, the internet as in facebook is chock full of ftf sakes sites and they usually have a few dealers giving way discounted prices.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Is that the father that owns Patriot Services, the son or a third one I don't know?

Back to the OPs issue, the internet as in facebook is chock full of ftf sakes sites and they usually have a few dealers giving way discounted prices.

Hey! If you are going to drive someone towards the internet how about driving them to one of OCDO's sponsors? Virginia Gun Trader http://www.vaguntrader.com/ is built on FTF sales, and the guys that run it offer free use of their table-space at the gun shows for anybody that is wanting to sell/trade. (Yes, folks there often inflate the value of what they are seeking to sell, and potential buyers often insultingly low-ball their offers. But that allows for the fun of haggling.)

stay safe.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran

I think it's the son of the Patriot Services owner. Rod, I believe, was the one with longish straight brown hair.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey! If you are going to drive someone towards the internet how about driving them to one of OCDO's sponsors? Virginia Gun Trader http://www.vaguntrader.com/ is built on FTF sales, and the guys that run it offer free use of their table-space at the gun shows for anybody that is wanting to sell/trade. (Yes, folks there often inflate the value of what they are seeking to sell, and potential buyers often insultingly low-ball their offers. But that allows for the fun of haggling.)

stay safe.
Never had much luck there Skid. It was good in the beginning but too many scammers, no shows and chain jerkers. Got em on facebook but they get booted fast. There is a Va. Gun traders on facebook, but I dont know if it's the same people.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Never had much luck there Skid. It was good in the beginning but too many scammers, no shows and chain jerkers. Got em on facebook but they get booted fast. There is a Va. Gun traders on facebook, but I dont know if it's the same people.

Agreed. Made note of them especially because of their standing offer of table space at gun shows.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
As a legal matter, yes, that's enough. Basically you have to produce documentation showing that (1) you are who you say you are, and (2) you live where you say you live. As to the latter, a utility bill mailed to you at that address with your name on it is good enough.