Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Department of Social & Health Services denying right to open carry

Department of Social & Health Services denying right to open carry

Went to the Kennewick CSO today at approximately 2:45 p.m. to conduct some business. As I was checking in, the security personnel & a couple of the administrative staff clearly announced for all to hear that I had to remove my sidearm to my vehicle as firearms are not allowed there in the building. How they approached it was in a threatening posture to me, especially since the security officer nearly knocked my wife over. I calmly explained to them that I was following the regulations as written in both the RCWs & WACs. However the response was they were above the law & could do whatever they wanted, though one administrator did say he'd look up the regulations.

(All I was doing was standing to be signed in, with the sidearm holstered on my hip)

If they refuse to budge and won't admit you're right you'll need video/audio.

I will speak from experience on this one. The DSHS office in Tacoma has signs on their doors saying no weapons or firearms. I walk into and out of that building with no issues at all while open carrying. I have been asked to leave only once. After which, I was told flat out that I was free to come and go with no further hassles. I have since never even been stopped by security. If they have any signs or "policy" against weapons or firearms, they are in the wrong and unenforceable.

Let them call the police. It is a public building owned by the state. You are violating no law and they cannot force you to leave nor can they trespass you for open carrying on the property or in the building. IF they even call the police, they are risking a lawsuit.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Call the SAF on this

The SAF has put them on report a fews years ago. Please call and tell them.
    Last edited by phoneguy; 07-22-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling

If they refuse to budge and won't admit you're right you'll need video/audio.

For what?

I know a lot of the acronyms/abbreviations for the state offices, but SAF is not one of those.

I did go onto the main DSHS website & file a complaint, stating that nowhere in the RCWs or WACs does it say that it's not allowed to carry in the CSOs & also quoted them Article 1, Section 24 of the State Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    The SAF has put them on report a fews years ago. Please call and tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    I know a lot of the acronyms/abbreviations for the state offices, but SAF is not one of those.

I did go onto the main DSHS website & file a complaint, stating that nowhere in the RCWs or WACs does it say that it's not allowed to carry in the CSOs & also quoted them Article 1, Section 24 of the State Constitution.
    SAF = The Second Amendment Foundation. They do a really good job of making sure govt doesn't step out of line. www.SAF.org
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    Let them call the police. It is a public building owned by the state. You are violating no law and they cannot force you to leave nor can they trespass you for open carrying on the property or in the building. IF they even call the police, they are risking a lawsuit.
    Citizenship is a Verb, mnrobitaille. You are the "injured party", what shall you do now?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    SAF = The Second Amendment Foundation. They do a really good job of making sure govt doesn't step out of line. www.SAF.org
    Just got done writing a nice descriptive e-mail about the occurrence, & I reiterated in the e-mail that both the security personnel & administrators approached the situation aggressively.

I do not see how the mere presence of a holstered firearm warrants an aggressive response, whereas another member of my party almost gets injured.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    For what?[/COLOR]
    The video/audio may be required for any complaint as the people who did this to them might deny they treated them a certain way or even asked them to leave.

I do not see how the mere presence of a holstered firearm warrants an aggressive response, .
    I believe a little research will give you a judge/judge like person used almost the exact same words.

http://www.fedagent.com/case-law-upd...ard-of-seizure

"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I received a call back from the Kennewick CSO Administrator concerning the situation, & how the voicemail sounded, he was not pleased.

Hopefully either tomorrow or Thursday I will be able to speak with him (hopefully in person).

Thumbs up good contact

Had the contact with the Kennewick CSO Administrator via phone this afternoon. The response from him was that the situation was handled wrong & inappropriately. I explained to him again what happened, & that I was not the one causing the warranting alarm, but that the security officer & administration staff present were. He reiterated several times that he was sorry my constitutional rights were violated, & from the sounds of it, he'll be training/coaching the staff about the state regulations, as well as getting in contact with the security company to conduct additional training for their personnel.

We have a new verb in our midst.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

hopefully, the county administrator will enjoy the security team they hired will be provided appropriate training to preclude another from experiencing what you did ~ one can hope!

good job

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Out*******standing job, Troop! This is what works. See a problem......act on it, and fix a problem. Again, good on you mate.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Out*******standing job, Troop! This is what works. See a problem......act on it, and fix a problem. Again, good on you mate.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Had the contact with the Kennewick CSO Administrator via phone this afternoon. The response from him was that the situation was handled wrong & inappropriately. I explained to him again what happened, & that I was not the one causing the warranting alarm, but that the security officer & administration staff present were. He reiterated several times that he was sorry my constitutional rights were violated, & from the sounds of it, he'll be training/coaching the staff about the state regulations, as well as getting in contact with the security company to conduct additional training for their personnel.
    Thats how it is done, welcome to the verbs, you are in good company BTW.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    +1
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Ditto
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

An update

I realize that this is technically a dead thread, but I've had to visit the Kennewick DSHS CSO a couple of times in the past few weeks. Each time I've walked in, that same security guard has been watching me & my family like we are the primary threats there & just waiting to pounce on us. (I have not tried OCing into the office since the incident) I've been CCing when having business there since & yet still feel like being treated like I'm being profiled for exercising RKBA.

I realize that this is technically a dead thread, but I've had to visit the Kennewick DSHS CSO a couple of times in the past few weeks. Each time I've walked in, that same security guard has been watching me & my family like we are the primary threats there & just waiting to pounce on us. (I have not tried OCing into the office since the incident) I've been CCing when having business there since & yet still feel like being treated like I'm being profiled for exercising RKBA.
    Stop suckling from the government teat, for one.

Start flexing your rights.

Also law study is good for the mind.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Stop suckling from the government teat, for one.

Start flexing your rights.

Also law study is good for the mind.

You don't know why he was there. He doesn't need to explain why. Mind your own business.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    You don't know why he was there. He doesn't need to explain why. Mind your own business.
    He posted his business.

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    He posted his business.

No. He posted a relevant topic to open carry. Your post was impolite, inappropriate, and off topic.
    Stay on topic.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast