Thread: leaving open carry gun in vehicle when leaving vehicle

leaving open carry gun in vehicle when leaving vehicle

looking for suggestions on leaving handgun in vehicle for open carry, when I need to leave vehicle to enter a gun-prohibited building. I don't like the idea of leaving gun plainly visible in car while away from car. open carry laws require gun to be in plain sight in car but I worry it may be stolen or cause alarm to someone walking by my vehicle. Don't think it'd be 'lawful' to put gun under the seat while I'm away from car. any suggestions?

This is best moved to the Ohio forum for local expertise on your legal options.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Woops. Posted too early.

I carry my gun case and just put my firearm in that and put it in the rear floor board. Not concealed, but not exactly plain view either.
    Last edited by mynameiscolb; 07-26-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    This is best moved to the Ohio forum for local expertise on your legal options.
    Moved it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiores View Post
    ...I don't like the idea of leaving gun plainly visible in car while away from car. open carry laws require gun to be in plain sight in car...
    Where did you find that requirement? Please provide a link to the applicable law.

Do you have an Ohio-issued concealed handgun license?

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiores View Post
    looking for suggestions on leaving handgun in vehicle for open carry, when I need to leave vehicle to enter a gun-prohibited building. I don't like the idea of leaving gun plainly visible in car while away from car. open carry laws require gun to be in plain sight in car but I worry it may be stolen or cause alarm to someone walking by my vehicle. Don't think it'd be 'lawful' to put gun under the seat while I'm away from car. any suggestions?
    Do not go into gun-prohibited victim zones.
    If you do be sure to check legality of leaving gun in the car. In some situations (like post office) it is illegal to leave the gun in a car, in a parking lot of the victim zone building.

Also do you not have to have a concealed license to OC in a vehicle in Ohio?
    Finally never leave a vehicle with a gun visible inside. That seems really dumb. Unloaded in the trunk or locked case is my recommendation.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I am not an Ohio resident or an expert on Ohio law, but my first thought would be to lock it in the trunk. It's out of sight, but since its not on or about your person and not readily accessible, it is not a concealed weapon. I am certain some of the Ohio experts will be along shortly to help you with this dilemma.
    We need BB62's questions answered first then we can post the proper answer.

Without a license to legally carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, you may not have a loaded handgun in or on a vehicle, period.

With a license to legally carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, you may transport however or leave the handgun wherever you wish while in or on a vehicle.

While I don't know what you drive or the laws in your area if this type of storage would be legal.

But I installed one of these in my truck and then it was the 2nd thing I installed in my new truck. http://www.consolevault.com/Chevrole...l#.VcGBQPkwDFU
    Last edited by Phoenix David; 08-04-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    We need BB62's questions answered first then we can post the proper answer.
    I'm going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb here and predict we will never hear from the OP again.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    I'm going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb here and predict we will never hear from the OP again.
    This may be Truth. Maybe he is digesting all this wonderful information.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington