• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

leaving open carry gun in vehicle when leaving vehicle

ohiores

looking for suggestions on leaving handgun in vehicle for open carry, when I need to leave vehicle to enter a gun-prohibited building. I don't like the idea of leaving gun plainly visible in car while away from car. open carry laws require gun to be in plain sight in car but I worry it may be stolen or cause alarm to someone walking by my vehicle. Don't think it'd be 'lawful' to put gun under the seat while I'm away from car. any suggestions?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is best moved to the Ohio forum for local expertise on your legal options.

mynameiscolb

Woops. Posted too early.

I carry my gun case and just put my firearm in that and put it in the rear floor board. Not concealed, but not exactly plain view either.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I don't like the idea of leaving gun plainly visible in car while away from car. open carry laws require gun to be in plain sight in car...
Where did you find that requirement? Please provide a link to the applicable law.

Do you have an Ohio-issued concealed handgun license?

twoskinsonemanns

looking for suggestions on leaving handgun in vehicle for open carry, when I need to leave vehicle to enter a gun-prohibited building. I don't like the idea of leaving gun plainly visible in car while away from car. open carry laws require gun to be in plain sight in car but I worry it may be stolen or cause alarm to someone walking by my vehicle. Don't think it'd be 'lawful' to put gun under the seat while I'm away from car. any suggestions?

Do not go into gun-prohibited victim zones.
If you do be sure to check legality of leaving gun in the car. In some situations (like post office) it is illegal to leave the gun in a car, in a parking lot of the victim zone building.

Also do you not have to have a concealed license to OC in a vehicle in Ohio?
Finally never leave a vehicle with a gun visible inside. That seems really dumb. Unloaded in the trunk or locked case is my recommendation.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I am not an Ohio resident or an expert on Ohio law, but my first thought would be to lock it in the trunk. It's out of sight, but since its not on or about your person and not readily accessible, it is not a concealed weapon. I am certain some of the Ohio experts will be along shortly to help you with this dilemma.
We need BB62's questions answered first then we can post the proper answer.

pirateguy191

Without a license to legally carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, you may not have a loaded handgun in or on a vehicle, period.

With a license to legally carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, you may transport however or leave the handgun wherever you wish while in or on a vehicle.