• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Kind of Society...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
...Do We Live In?

Today is July 26, 2015. At the top of the hour--7:00 pm--I was listening to a report of a wildfire on the ABC radio network. A mother who had abandoned her home was quoted as saying the first thing she grabbed was her kids' social security cards and birth certificates.

Not a keepsake. Not a memento. Not stuff to live in a hotel a few days. The kids' social security cards and birth certificates.

twoskinsonemanns

...Do We Live In?

Today is July 26, 2015. At the top of the hour--7:00 pm--I was listening to a report of a wildfire on the ABC radio network. A mother who had abandoned her home was quoted as saying the first thing she grabbed was her kids' social security cards and birth certificates.

Not a keepsake. Not a memento. Not stuff to live in a hotel a few days. The kids' social security cards and birth certificates.

One where the commoners live in feared subservience. I keep my "papers" in fire resistant safes for that reason. Without them I basically don't exist.
Recently I had to re-up my security clearance and was required to supply my "papers" again. As if they would be different from the ones I showed the last time. Interesting enough when I asked the investigator if he couldn't just have the Chinese send the info over (Chinese hack clearance info) he wasn't amused.

sudden valley gunner

Such majorities, very likely, could be found in half, perhaps nine-tenths, of all the countries on the globe. What do they prove? Nothing but the tyranny and corruption of the very governments that have reduced so large portions of [*9] the people to their present ignorance, servility, degradation, and corruption; an ignorance, servility, degradation, and corruption that are best illustrated in the simple fact that they do sustain governments that have so oppressed, degraded, and corrupted them. They do nothing towards proving that the governments themselves are legitimate; or that they ought to be sustained, or even endured, by those who understand their true character. The mere fact, therefore, that a government chances to be sustained by a majority, of itself proves nothing that is necessary to be proved, in order to know whether such government should be sustained, or not.-Lysander Spooner

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
twoskinsonemanns and SVG are poster children for the sovereignty of the individual. Yet I will bet SVG (twoskinsonemanns has already admitted to it) keeps his papers where he can get hold of them, or at least knows how to get "official" copies when the need arises.

As for grabbing the actual SS cards and birth certificates? Some preppers and preppers-light have put together as part of their grab and go kit a file (hard or electronic) of the documents that will be needed to start over again. know my SSN because I have to use it for not-for-identification purposes just about everywhere, and I know where and when I was born along with the names of both my parents so I can send off for a birth certificate (as opposed to a record of live birth :p). I have not and will not memorize my bank account and credit card numbers, but I have them stored (hard copy and several different electronic means) where I can get access to them. Ditto for the name and policy numbers for the companies that carry my life, homeowners, and automobile insurance. Basic medical info is also stored several places in several ways.

Need to evacuate? What's going to be the primary need? Survival and self defense. Now you know what I'll be grabbing on my way out the door.

YMMV

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If I lost 100% of everything, I would borrow a set of clothes from a friend, get a ride on base, head to the ID office, demonstrate my fingerprint, answer some key info only I know, and walk out of there with my base ID card.

I would then proceed to the bank, make a withdrawal, obtain another credit/debit card, and proceed to the Drivers License office.

Back in business. Elapsed time: Less than 2 hours.

Civilians might find things a bit more difficult.

sudden valley gunner

twoskinsonemanns and SVG are poster children for the sovereignty of the individual. Yet I will bet SVG (twoskinsonemanns has already admitted to it) keeps his papers where he can get hold of them, or at least knows how to get "official" copies when the need arises.

Oh how cute, subtle insult with built in assumptions and a fallacy argument.

sudden valley gunner

If I lost 100% of everything, I would borrow a set of clothes from a friend, get a ride on base, head to the ID office, demonstrate my fingerprint, answer some key info only I know, and walk out of there with my base ID card.

I would then proceed to the bank, make a withdrawal, obtain another credit/debit card, and proceed to the Drivers License office.

Back in business. Elapsed time: Less than 2 hours.

Civilians might find things a bit more difficult.

That's a good point it is easy to replace the government papers.

I find it a sad state though that its the government papers that seem so important over any other items they could have grabbed.

twoskinsonemanns

Oh how cute, subtle insult with built in assumptions and a fallacy argument.

I like to view it as a compliment :D although seeing him type out my login name like that gave me a creepy chill. Imagine the sort of chill you might get if you saw a video of a pedophile licking his lips and whispering your kid's name... (shiver!)

sudden valley gunner

I like to view it as a compliment :D although seeing him type out my login name like that gave me a creepy chill. Imagine the sort of chill you might get if you saw a video of a pedophile licking his lips and whispering your kid's name... (shiver!)

LOL....;)

Shiver indeed.

I wasn't much personally insulted, its the internet and/or he seems to like to troll a bit the last few years, I was just noting his poor attempt at it.

OC for ME

...Do We Live In?

depends on your view of the world around you. Is there a stack of photo albums, or a iCloud account with all that stuff. Paper photos on the wall, or a digital picture presenter device? Other than a few items that cannot be digitized for later retrieval, her priorities are about what I would expect. Though, it is not the end of the world as she knows it, stuff can be replaced, even her kid's favorite bankkie.

State issued documents? Well, it could take all day to get that stuff even if you have every one of the 57 documents the drones require of you. Ever try getting a replacement DL these days?