Thread: Open carry legality under Protection Order

Open carry legality under Protection Order

Long story short, I'm the victim of a civil protection order used as a weapon from my lovely ex. As most know, your CCW gets pulled immediately. My question is, while under terms of the CPO, I can not have a CCW, but is it still legal to open carry? The box on the form barring firearm purchase/ownership/use is NOT checked.

Surely you have already engaged an attorney, to be this far along in the process. Ask your personal attorney.

As soon as I knew that were splitting I had an (aggressive female) attorney and made sure that she was ready to take custody of my guns if it came to that. It did not.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-27-2015 at 11:43 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

He is less than knowledgable in 2A law. He does primarily civil cases. In hindsight, he was pretty lousy, but it's hard to do much better when you only have 3 days notice... The case was already lost, they hand these things out like candy around here. I'm just trying to salvage the pieces. Any and all insight is appreciated.

I would assume since I can legally own/use it shouldn't be a problem. The cpo thing as far as I know is only a requirement for a CCW. Just trying to get a second opinion.
    Last edited by GutsyGecko; 07-27-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GutsyGecko View Post
    He is less than knowledgable in 2A law. He does primarily civil cases. In hindsight, he was pretty lousy, but it's hard to do much better when you only have 3 days notice... The case was already lost, they hand these things out like candy around here. I'm just trying to salvage the pieces. Any and all insight is appreciated.

I would assume since I can legally own/use it shouldn't be a problem. The cpo thing as far as I know is only a requirement for a CCW. Just trying to get a second opinion.
    Regarding your current possession of a firearm, you may wish to review 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(8) and compare it to the terms and findings of the protection order.
    Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.