• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry legality under Protection Order

GutsyGecko

Long story short, I'm the victim of a civil protection order used as a weapon from my lovely ex. As most know, your CCW gets pulled immediately. My question is, while under terms of the CPO, I can not have a CCW, but is it still legal to open carry? The box on the form barring firearm purchase/ownership/use is NOT checked.

GutsyGecko

He is less than knowledgable in 2A law. He does primarily civil cases. In hindsight, he was pretty lousy, but it's hard to do much better when you only have 3 days notice... The case was already lost, they hand these things out like candy around here. I'm just trying to salvage the pieces. Any and all insight is appreciated.

I would assume since I can legally own/use it shouldn't be a problem. The cpo thing as far as I know is only a requirement for a CCW. Just trying to get a second opinion.

Last edited:

Werz

He is less than knowledgable in 2A law. He does primarily civil cases. In hindsight, he was pretty lousy, but it's hard to do much better when you only have 3 days notice... The case was already lost, they hand these things out like candy around here. I'm just trying to salvage the pieces. Any and all insight is appreciated.

I would assume since I can legally own/use it shouldn't be a problem. The cpo thing as far as I know is only a requirement for a CCW. Just trying to get a second opinion.
Regarding your current possession of a firearm, you may wish to review 18 U.S.C. §922(g)(8) and compare it to the terms and findings of the protection order.