Thread: Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990

Could someone explain how this works and is enforced in Washington?

I live near a school, and need to walk by it to get anywhere. I open carry, no permit yet.

I have seen mixed things on this online.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was found to be unconstitutional. IMO - the replacement Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1995 is equally so.

This should have been the end of it:
    http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannis...mass-shootings
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks Bush.

"I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by Latro View Post
    I open carry, no permit yet..
    Well......Welcome to OCDO and I hope you enjoy your time here.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Although I don't agree with the need for CPL, just get one. It is too easy, and makes things easier.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Although I don't agree with the need for CPL, just get one. It is too easy, and makes things easier.
    Some people are proud of telling the government that they do not wish to be corralled, fingerprinted, and photographed to make things "easier."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Sadly, the GFSZA is used as an excuse to harass and accost... I have yet to see anyone charged under that law... even the lunatic mass shooters who so obviously violate it.

As Grape said, it is wholly unconstitutional and if we can ever get it to court it shall be found so... which is why the government refuses to bring charges under that law against anyone... but it makes a nice handy excuse to detain and arrest people.
    Last edited by Baked on Grease; 07-30-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Sorry, you may not have "seen anyone charged under" the GFSZA, but it has been to court several times, post Lopez, and found to be constitutional. In those cases, the persons accused of violating it were sent to prison...
    And in every single case you just cited, the charge was a secondary charge to people actually DOING bad things with the guns.

So, yes, your conclusion that the charge was upheld is valid, but mere possession within the magic line is not going to get someone detained or arrested in most states.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-30-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

The GFSZA is something I expect the Feds to eventually start enforcing that is why I maintain permits in all the states that I frequent enough to know where school zones are.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And in every single case you just cited, the charge was a secondary charge to people actually DOING bad things with the guns.

So, yes, your conclusion that the charge was upheld is valid, but mere possession within the magic line is not going to get someone detained or arrested in most states.
    Uh... people get arrested quite often for having a firearm (even obviously fake onea) within the imaginary 1000 foot line... some even get arrested outside it because "won't someone think of the children!"

Seriously, Google it. 'Man arrested near school for gun' provides many such examples of people being arrested for merely having a firearm near a school.
    Last edited by Baked on Grease; 07-30-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Uh... people get arrested quite often for having a firearm (even obviously fake onea) within the imaginary 1000 foot line... some even get arrested outside it because "won't someone think of the children!"

Seriously, Google it. 'Man arrested near school for gun' provides many such examples of people being arrested for merely having a firearm near a school.
    Uh, I said "in most states."

Also, some states have state laws against it, but that would not be part of this discussion.

I would guess that if I Googled it, there would be a handful of states where it was an issue. Is Washington one of them?
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-31-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Most spaces in a town and city are within the 1000' magical border.
    333yards plus 1foot.

What would that path look like in, for example, Seattle? Mind you this would have to be while school is in session.

I have had police officers bring up that rule, but never a tape measure to verify. So the OP is not far off base for being concerned about arrest within the 1000' line.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Thanks Bush.

Bush wasn't President in 1995, so you have Clinton to thank as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    Here's something I wonder about -- if people can get arrested despite fitting into one of the exempt categories, and the prosecutor goes forward on the charges, wouldn't that mean you could make a citizen's arrest of a police officer for the same reason? After all, if the exemptions are not valid law...

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Bush wasn't President in 1995, so you have Clinton to thank as well.

Here's something I wonder about -- if people can get arrested despite fitting into one of the exempt categories, and the prosecutor goes forward on the charges, wouldn't that mean you could make a citizen's arrest of a police officer for the same reason? After all, if the exemptions are not valid law...
    I agree 100%

Both republicans and democrats are anti-gun. Which really means they are pro-being elected (at all costs). Bush 1 and Clinton are proof that both parties are stuffed with pandering ninnies -- just like Bush 2 and Obama.

Bush 1 started gun control, Clinton finished it.
    Bush 2 started TARP, Obama finished it.

Be it a Donkey or an Elephant, they still spread poop wherever they go.
    Last edited by Dave_pro2a; 08-02-2015 at 09:27 PM.

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Bush and Clinton?? Why blamer either one of them? The real culprit is the guy that introduced the bill in the first place and that is our current Vice President, Joe Biden. All Bush and Clinton did is sign the thing once Congress had voted on it and passed it.
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Geo...un_Control.htm

The big thing about them is that I've never seen one that was clearly marked. I know full well I live inside the zone of the local middle school, but there are no signs anywhere beyond the fence line surrounding the schools property. If a person is new to the area and walking down a street three blocks over, how do they know the school is even there?
    Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
    Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
    Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
    Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.
    -Patrick Henry, Virginia Ratification Convention, June 5, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by DeSchaine View Post
    The big thing about them is that I've never seen one that was clearly marked. I know full well I live inside the zone of the local middle school, but there are no signs anywhere beyond the fence line surrounding the schools property. If a person is new to the area and walking down a street three blocks over, how do they know the school is even there?
    It is a good thing that there are no signs since the law says you have to know or have reasonable cause to believe you are in a school zone to be in violation:

8 U.S. Code 922 - Unlawful acts
    (q)
    (2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.