Thread: [Off Topic] CHP requires Notary for Renewal

[Off Topic] CHP requires Notary for Renewal

Topic came up as someone I know is up for renewal... We have lots of threads in the Virgina forums of people fighting the 'extra-legal' requirements that local courts add on that VA doesn't allow but... i looked through previous threads and everyone is talking about sending the notarized renewal application in... where in the law is the requirement to notarize the renewal?

I see in the section for applying for the permit it requires notary, but not under the section for renewal.

So the question is: ARE we required, by law, to have the renewal application notarized before submitting it? And if so, please share a Cite to Authority.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Easy Peasy:

First:

18.2-308.010. Renewal of concealed handgun permit.
    A.1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in 18.2-308.02, a new five-year permit...

Reference to:

18.2-308.02. Application for a concealed handgun permit; Virginia resident or domiciliary.
    A. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths

So, the renewal reference to the same application as the original, which requires the notarization.

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Easy Peasy:

First:

18.2-308.010. Renewal of concealed handgun permit.
    A.1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in 18.2-308.02, a new five-year permit...

Reference to:

18.2-308.02. Application for a concealed handgun permit; Virginia resident or domiciliary.
    A. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths

So, the renewal reference to the same application as the original, which requires the notarization.

TFred

or other person qualified to take oaths
    To clarify, you could use a Notary Public, or the court clerk can do the trick when you drop it off at the courthouse.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    ...or the court clerk can do the trick when you drop it off at the courthouse.
    That's the route I've always taken. I don't finish until I'm with the clerk to submit it.