Thread: When is a weapon not a weapon?

When is a weapon not a weapon?

Been thinking about this some time now, & when businesses post signs saying "no weapons/weapons free" does that mean they are not wanting any patrons?

The definition of a weapon is: a device which can cause bodily harm/injury. Does that mean no keys allowed as keys can be used as a weapon? A cane, walker, or crutches can be used as a weapon. A woman's handbag can be used as a weapon.......

Anything & everything can be used as a weapon, so why have the signage banning weapons, when everyone is carrying a weapon?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

When is a question rhetorical?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Nothing is a weapon until it is used as one. A hammer is a tool to pound in nails to build a house. A hammer is a weapon when a person bashes in another persons skull in anger.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

TSA rules allow 6" tools onto planes.

Phillips screwdriver.

"I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    Been thinking about this some time now, & when businesses post signs saying "no weapons/weapons free" does that mean they are not wanting any patrons?

The definition of a weapon is: a device which can cause bodily harm/injury. Does that mean no keys allowed as keys can be used as a weapon? A cane, walker, or crutches can be used as a weapon. A woman's handbag can be used as a weapon.......

Anything & everything can be used as a weapon, so why have the signage banning weapons, when everyone is carrying a weapon?
    Bare hands/fists are weapons. It would be more accurate for them to post a 'no customers allowed' sign.

In light of the shooting of the mentally disturbing gentleman getting shot here in February, the question of what constitutes a weapon was posted to a letter to the editor in the Tri-City Herald.

Is a rock a deadly weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Nothing is a weapon until it is used as one. A hammer is a tool to pound in nails to build a house. A hammer is a weapon when a person bashes in another persons skull in anger.
    By that line of thinking, a firearm/sidearm is a tool, if it's sitting in a holster. A firearm/sidearm is only a weapon when removed from the holster/brandished to instill fear, or removed from holster to be fired at a person or animal.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    TSA rules allow 6" tools onto planes.

--snipped--
    I saw what you did there.

No I don't think it merits further discussion.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

What about black powder? You can buy a BP pistol/rifle with out a BGC.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    They probably mean "no tools designed to be used as weapons" or "devices constructed for the purpose of being useful as a weapon" or even "a tool or device that is especially adaptable for use as a weapon"
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    But what if I use a hammer to bash in someone's skull while remaining calm and serene? Or joyful?

Seriously, you put a chain out there I'm gonna yank on it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Some tools are designed as weapons hence will always be.
    Some tools are designed for other uses and are only weapons when used as one against its intended design.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by mnrobitaille View Post
    By that line of thinking, a firearm/sidearm is a tool, if it's sitting in a holster. A firearm/sidearm is only a weapon when removed from the holster/brandished to instill fear, or removed from holster to be fired at a person or animal.
    I recall an old Far Side strip, with a gunfighter looking to duel someone known for being handy with a gun...and there's the guy on his roof, holding his gun by the barrel, using it to pound nails.

Guns used as intended are tools designed to provide food, or prevent your own untimely death.