• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When is a weapon not a weapon?

mnrobitaille

Been thinking about this some time now, & when businesses post signs saying "no weapons/weapons free" does that mean they are not wanting any patrons?

The definition of a weapon is: a device which can cause bodily harm/injury. Does that mean no keys allowed as keys can be used as a weapon? A cane, walker, or crutches can be used as a weapon. A woman's handbag can be used as a weapon.......

Anything & everything can be used as a weapon, so why have the signage banning weapons, when everyone is carrying a weapon?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Nothing is a weapon until it is used as one. A hammer is a tool to pound in nails to build a house. A hammer is a weapon when a person bashes in another persons skull in anger.

Dave_pro2a

TSA rules allow 6" tools onto planes.

Phillips screwdriver.

zoom.jpg

Difdi

Been thinking about this some time now, & when businesses post signs saying "no weapons/weapons free" does that mean they are not wanting any patrons?

The definition of a weapon is: a device which can cause bodily harm/injury. Does that mean no keys allowed as keys can be used as a weapon? A cane, walker, or crutches can be used as a weapon. A woman's handbag can be used as a weapon.......

Anything & everything can be used as a weapon, so why have the signage banning weapons, when everyone is carrying a weapon?

Bare hands/fists are weapons. It would be more accurate for them to post a 'no customers allowed' sign.

mnrobitaille

Nothing is a weapon until it is used as one. A hammer is a tool to pound in nails to build a house. A hammer is a weapon when a person bashes in another persons skull in anger.

By that line of thinking, a firearm/sidearm is a tool, if it's sitting in a holster. A firearm/sidearm is only a weapon when removed from the holster/brandished to instill fear, or removed from holster to be fired at a person or animal.

stealthyeliminator

They probably mean "no tools designed to be used as weapons" or "devices constructed for the purpose of being useful as a weapon" or even "a tool or device that is especially adaptable for use as a weapon"

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

But what if I use a hammer to bash in someone's skull while remaining calm and serene? Or joyful?

Seriously, you put a chain out there I'm gonna yank on it. :p

stay safe.

sudden valley gunner

Some tools are designed as weapons hence will always be.
Some tools are designed for other uses and are only weapons when used as one against its intended design.

Difdi

By that line of thinking, a firearm/sidearm is a tool, if it's sitting in a holster. A firearm/sidearm is only a weapon when removed from the holster/brandished to instill fear, or removed from holster to be fired at a person or animal.

I recall an old Far Side strip, with a gunfighter looking to duel someone known for being handy with a gun...and there's the guy on his roof, holding his gun by the barrel, using it to pound nails.