• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan open carrier awarded $35,000 setlement for police misconduct

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...lse-arrest-suit-for-35k&p=2154248#post2154248

SNIP

Somehow, I don’t think Flint Township Police will be stopping people who open carry firearms any time soon unless they have a darn good reason.

A man who claimed he was wrongfully arrested on Christmas Eve while legally open-carrying his pistol has reached a $35,000 settlement with the officer who stopped him, according to the man’s attorney.

John David McMorris reached the agreement Tuesday, July 28, after he sued Flint Township Police and Sgt. Russell Fries following his Dec. 24, 2013, arrest. The lawsuit was forwarded to the township’s insurer.

“Mr. McMorris and I are satisfied with our result in this case,” said McMorris’ attorney, Craig McAra. “Civil rights cases for wrongful arrest can be difficult to win given the very high burden of proof placed upon the plaintiff.”

Township police Chief George Sippert declined to comment on the settlement and directed questions to attorney G. Gus Morris, who represented the officer and department in the case.

Flint Township Police maintain that this was a lawful stop, of course, and the city insists that the $35,000 settlement was the most logical way to end the case considering the high cost of litigating the case.

. . .

taxman

Banned
David Codrea isn't so sure this changes anything:

http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2015/07/were-only-ones-unshelled-enough.html
Michigan Officer Shells Out $35,000 For Open Carry Stop
No, the insurance provider did. It doesn't sound like there'll be any repercussions to the oath-breaker at all, what with Flint Township government maintaining that depriving citizens of rights under color of authority is A-OK with them, and they only settled because it's the cheapest way out.

FreeInAZ

^^^This! It is easy to trash a party, until that party is at your house & you have to pay for the repairs. Looks like this cop can continue to trash law abiding citizens rights with impunity. :(

Until officers are held fiscally responsible for their crimes, just like us mere mortals are, nothing will change ...

Last edited:

taxman

Banned
^^^This! It is easy to trash a party, until that party is at your house & you have to pay for the repairs. Looks like this cop can continue to trash law abiding citizens rights with impunity. :(

Until officers are held fiscally responsible for their crimes, just like us mere mortals are, nothing will change ...

I have a dream, I'd like to see it tested out in a major market like NYPD.
Take some fraction of the annual police brutality liability bill that sounds like a generous number, like 1/4 billion, and offer it to the cop union as a 2016 holiday bonus, under condition that the bonus be reduced by 2016 lawsuit expenses. The catch is, if the thugs cause lawyer bills and judgment/settlement payouts of more than 1/4B, you take the excess out of every sworn officer and commander's pay to make up the difference.

If they're smart, you'll see them TRYING to keep costs down in 2016. NYPD doesn't stand a chance of getting under 1/4 billion in just one year, but wouldn't it be nice to see them trying not to do stuff that gets them sued? After the others get tired of feeling the pain in the paycheck, the severe peer pressure that is currently reserved for honest cops like Frank Serpico will start landing on the thugs who get sued.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

^ Great concept. Too bad the clowns running the blue line circus will never let it happen. A Nobel dream none the less. +1
:thumbsup:

I leave you with the musical tribute to your dream Sir:
http://youtu.be/-KufFjcWOUQ

Last edited:

taxman

Banned
I wonder how many people read my post and said to themselves: NYC taxpayers spend more than 250 million on police brutality every year???

Let me tell you, it shocked me when I found out it was around 430 million for civil rights suits, and I thought I was shockproof on the subject. Throw in the general liability stuff like hitting people with squad cars and it's real close to a full billion.
http://www.rt.com/usa/195988-nyc-civil-lawsuits-millions/

Last edited: