Thread: When Did Open Carry Become Oki Doki in Washington State?

Question When Did Open Carry Become Oki Doki in Washington State?

Just as the title asks when did Open Carry (in a holster) become OK in WA state. I'd always thought it was around the mid to late 80s. Before I got here I did a search and of 20+ spots to look and not a single option listed the month and year the state legislature gave their *Permission* for LACs to carry openly a handgun.

All I need is the month and year and I'll be satisfied. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Just a uneducated guess I figure it would be November 11th, 1889.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." George Patton

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I'd say it predates statehood. Washington became a separate territory from Oregon on March 2, 1853.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

"Permission"? I'm going to guess Never.

As one member's sig says: "Free men do not ask permission"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I'd say it predates statehood. Washington became a separate territory from Oregon on March 2, 1853.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Centurion
    To the OP--- it is legal unless a law is passed making it illegal! Generally, that is how it is done!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

There has never been a law governing OC in Washington. Since no law exists on the subject, the practice is legal by default.

There have been court cases however that have determined that OC of a firearm does not constitute "warranting alarm." I forget offhand which cases they were or when they occurred. Regardless of the court cases however, it does not negate my previous statement. OC has always been legal in WA's territory.

A natural right is not something that can be granted by government or a piece of paper., there is however a couple pieces of paper designed to protect those rights from government.

Federally we have amendment 2 of the bill of rights and on the state level we have article 1 section 24 of the state constitution. so when that was ratified is going to be as close to a date that you can get.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    But be asked "when did it become oki doki in WA STATE"

Wa has only been a STATE since November of 1889
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by noname762 View Post
    Before I got here I did a search and of 20+ spots to look and not a single option listed the month and year the state legislature gave their *Permission* for LACs to carry openly a handgun.
    The reason you can't find it is probably due to the fact that you don't need anyone's permission to exercise the rights guaranteed to you by the Washington State Constitution.