• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When Did Open Carry Become Oki Doki in Washington State?

noname762

Just as the title asks when did Open Carry (in a holster) become OK in WA state. I'd always thought it was around the mid to late 80s. Before I got here I did a search and of 20+ spots to look and not a single option listed the month and year the state legislature gave their *Permission* for LACs to carry openly a handgun.

All I need is the month and year and I'll be satisfied. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd say it predates statehood. Washington became a separate territory from Oregon on March 2, 1853.

O_Kellogg

"Permission"? I'm going to guess Never.

As one member's sig says: "Free men do not ask permission"

acmariner99

There has never been a law governing OC in Washington. Since no law exists on the subject, the practice is legal by default.

There have been court cases however that have determined that OC of a firearm does not constitute "warranting alarm." I forget offhand which cases they were or when they occurred. Regardless of the court cases however, it does not negate my previous statement. OC has always been legal in WA's territory.

Schlepnier

A natural right is not something that can be granted by government or a piece of paper., there is however a couple pieces of paper designed to protect those rights from government.

Federally we have amendment 2 of the bill of rights and on the state level we have article 1 section 24 of the state constitution. so when that was ratified is going to be as close to a date that you can get.

Difdi

Before I got here I did a search and of 20+ spots to look and not a single option listed the month and year the state legislature gave their *Permission* for LACs to carry openly a handgun.

The reason you can't find it is probably due to the fact that you don't need anyone's permission to exercise the rights guaranteed to you by the Washington State Constitution.