• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved to NC

renoglock22

I recently moved back to Greensboro, after 13 years away. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have mostly been concealing here, since I am technically not a resident yet and NC recognizes NV permits, and I have got to say, the gun laws here are a little more restrictive than in Nevada. They seem pretty lax, the thing I don't like is, signs actually carry weight of law here. It really sucks having to walk back to my car to disarm after seeing a sign.

Anyway, it is good to be home again, and I hope I can start OCing more soon. (I am staying with my mother until I can get a job, and she is not a gun person)
Are there any do's and don'ts I should know? I have read through the laws, but we all know how hard to read they can be sometimes.

REDFIVE48

Welcome back. The first post in the forum is for the OC Flyer. Download and read the flyer and you are well on your way.

nobama

Welcome back. Question, are you only CC because you are not officially a resident? If thats the case, even if you are not a resident, you can still OC. Just wanted to clarify, wasnt sure what you meant.

renoglock22

Welcome back. Question, are you only CC because you are not officially a resident? If thats the case, even if you are not a resident, you can still OC. Just wanted to clarify, wasnt sure what you meant.

Thank you. No, I am CC because my mother doesn't seem too impressed with guns, so I just keep it hidden so I don't get that "I'm disappointed in you", look.

Still a little confused about the laws. I took my kids to a city park today, and there was a sign at the entrance that said no guns allowed. I was under the impression that parks/playgrounds were ok. This particular park had the "sprayground" thing in it, and I believe you can't carry at pools?There was no pool btw, just a bunch of water spouts squirting and dumping water on kids. I think I also read that if you carry a gun into a private business with a no guns sign, and get found out, you can only be cited for trespassing?

dmatting

Thank you. No, I am CC because my mother doesn't seem too impressed with guns, so I just keep it hidden so I don't get that "I'm disappointed in you", look.

Still a little confused about the laws. I took my kids to a city park today, and there was a sign at the entrance that said no guns allowed. I was under the impression that parks/playgrounds were ok. This particular park had the "sprayground" thing in it, and I believe you can't carry at pools?There was no pool btw, just a bunch of water spouts squirting and dumping water on kids. I think I also read that if you carry a gun into a private business with a no guns sign, and get found out, you can only be cited for trespassing?

I would suggest that you read the text of the laws concerning concealed carry in NC. It wouldn't take long and is better than getting it piecemeal. Here is the link to Chapter 14 of the NC General Statutes...
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14

Scroll down until you get to 14-415.10 which is where the CC laws start - it is titled "Article 54B Concealed Handgun Permit".

Regarding carry in parks... the municipality cannot prohibit carry within the entire park, unless the entire park consists of a pool or an athletic field. The town may consider the sprayground to be a pool, idk.
Here is the text for that portion of the law...
§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.

(a) It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c), on local government buildings and their appurtenant premises.

(b) A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following:

(1) An athletic field, including any appurtenant facilities such as restrooms, during an organized athletic event if the field had been scheduled for use with the municipality or county office responsible for operation of the park or recreational area.

(2) A swimming pool, including any appurtenant facilities used for dressing, storage of personal items, or other uses relating to the swimming pool.

(3) A facility used for athletic events, including, but not limited to, a gymnasium.

(d) For the purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" does not include any greenway, designated biking or walking path, an area that is customarily used as a walkway or bike path although not specifically designated for such use, open areas or fields where athletic events may occur unless the area qualifies as an "athletic field" pursuant to subdivision (1) of subsection (c) of this section, and any other area that is not specifically described in subsection (c) of this section. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 21(b); 2013-369, s. 6.)

Also, here is a link to another little informational flyer that contains info on NC gun laws...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9SbdmEOcqRTbHJ1VXJPS0FhVjA/view