• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another theater gets shot up, this one in Tennessee

Da Rat Bastid

Would-be gunman in Tennessee theater gets thwarted by a quick police response

http://news.yahoo.com/official-report-shots-fired-nashville-area-theater-190451154.html

The relevant news thus far is that one John Russel Houser killed two people and wounded nine before doing the world a favor by "becoming an hero", to quote a certain Internet meme.

Now, I've never been of the tinfoil hat-wearing persuasion, but I can't help but wonder if the anti-gun politicians are quietly allowing these situations to become more numerous, such that the political moderates in the USA, who are neither solidly left nor hard right, will pull a Dunblane and throw their lot in with those on the left to demand harsh gun restrictions like those in the UK and continental Europe. It's getting tougher for me to believe that the collective human spirit of the mostly-decent people of this country (for I believe that, while we as a species certainly have the ability to do wrong, we are more good than not, and not due to the influence of any cosmic enitity who may or may not have created the life on this planet) will endure this relatively-rapid barrage of awfulness much longer. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gun free zones don't work - other than providing a victim rich, fish in a barrel environment. The people are getting the message.

By and large we are winning in the legislatures and courts across the land.

Da Rat Bastid

It appears that the story was not as it initially appeared. I promise, though, that the link I included in my OP pointed to the story of a Nashville shooting that happened today. It seems that the information I gave, however, was what happened in the Lafayette theater shooting two weeks ago. I'm not sure how this could have happened; sorry, all.

The assailant (described as "a local 51 year-old white man") was armed with a gun, a hatchet, and a shitload of pepper spray. The latter was used liberally against the theater patrons, and one movie-goer got a superficial wound consistent with the hatchet, but no one was killed, or even shot, save the gunman himself.

Turns out that, in this new Nashville story, a couple officers were already outside the theater making a traffic stop, and when patrons began rushing out of the theater, they rushed in and engaged the gunman within 2 minutes, keeping him confined in that particular theater. By the time the gunman tried to flee out the back door, a S.W.A.T. team had arrived, and proceeded to render him very, very lifeless.

I'm glad to see that this story of a prompt armed response bringing a quick end to a gunman's mayhem and thereby sparing the lives of innocents. I wonder if Yahoo would have been so quick to tell the story, though, if the armed people responding to the would-be shooter hadn't been cops? :rolleyes:

ADDENDUM: BTW, Grapeshot, I tried to edit this thread's title to fit the now-correct news story, but it seems that I've only been able to edit the title of the OP itself, rather than that of the entire thread. Is this something that only mods can do?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

ADDENDUM: BTW, Grapeshot, I tried to edit this thread's title to fit the now-correct news story, but it seems that I've only been able to edit the title of the OP itself, rather than that of the entire thread. Is this something that only mods can do?
Either should work, but I find that the edit does not take for me either. Will look into this further.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The press/media is reporting somewhat different circumstances now.

"Police said the gunman, tentatively identified as a local 29-year-old white male, was also carrying two bags and sprayed pepper spray throughout a theater showing Mad Max: Fury Road."

"Police originally identified the gunman as a 51-year-old man, but Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson clarified his age at a Wednesday evening press conference".

"One of the officers entered the theater and encountered the gunman. Aaron said the gunman raised his gun and pulled the trigger. The officer returned fire and backed away."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/29717483/active-shooter-reported-at-antioch-theater

zeppy627

Does anyone know if this theater was a "gun free zone"?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

FTG-05

AKA "An eternity"

O2

I came here to post that thought, a dollar later and an hour short, as usual.

Funny how most people just don't have a clue how long 2 minutes can be when the crap is flying and the ships are down...... :banghead: