Thread: McCall Idaho, Woman Sentenced for Mailing Loaded Gun that Fired at the Post Office

beckofbeyond - Idaho

McCall Idaho, Woman Sentenced for Mailing Loaded Gun that Fired at the Post Office

An Idaho woman who mailed a loaded handgun that discharged within the package while being handled by a U.S. Postal Service employee has been sentenced to a year of probation.

ADA County, ID
    What in heck is a person thinking mailing a revolver using the US mail service and on top of that leaving loaded rounds in the cylinder.

Ruger Blackhawk, I am going to assume it was a pre-1973 without the transfer bar system and the firing pin was sitting on the primer. I suspect also the postal worker dropped the package to create enough of an impact upon the hammer to cause the primer to go boom.

I admit that I really laughed on this one.

North Chesterfield VA
    Forty-seven-year-old Tami Dee Bachart of McCall also on Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Boise was ordered to serve 200 hours of community service, pay $3,400 in restitution and a $1,000 fine.
    I always guessed that those snazzy USPS uniform pants might be expensive, but $3,400? Just how many pair had to be replaced?

And yes, folks, those that know even just a little bit about firearms laws are the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"

Ashland, Kentucky, USA
    I want to know how it fired without pulling the trigger?

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I want to know how it fired without pulling the trigger?
    As mentioned, older single-action revolver designs (including older Ruger Blackhawks) could be accidentally fired if dropped or struck sufficiently on the back of the hammer. There was no passive safety between the hammer/firing pin and primer, as there is on modern designs.

Granted, I'd wager this was not what they'd have us think was typical package handling. I'm sure they'll make sure we never get the details, but it was probably being thrown.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement
    Besides the soiled armor, the projectile may have pierced a sensitive item or two. A cr@ppy computer or two may have been damaged and now need new ones to replace them.

does seem excessive if nobody was bleeding. jus sayin

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington