• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Panama gets it - except for some parts

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://panampost.com/panam-staff/2015/08/05/panama-lifts-ban-on-gun-imports-amid-rising-crime-wave/

As Panama deals with increases in crime rates, forged gun permits, and rising gang activity, the government is set to lift the ban on firearm imports, in an effort to promote personal safety.

panama-guns

The UNODC estimates that an average of 700,000 firearms circulate within Panama’s streets. (Entorno Inteligente)

Public Safety Minister Rodolfo Aguilera said the country will follow in the footsteps of the United States and Switzerland, where the right to bear arms is believed to lead to fewer homicides.

“Everything seems to indicate that there is no direct correlation in the aphorism that says more guns mean more crime,” said Aguilera, who explained that relaxed gun laws have allowed the United States to reduce the homicide rate over the last 20 years.

Aguilera added that new regulations will include criminal and psychological background checks for future gun owners.

I'm hoping that they are not going to take that "psychological background checks" any farther than what the US does (as onerous as that may be).

The two money quotes:

Public Safety Minister Rodolfo Aguilera said the country will follow in the footsteps of the United States and Switzerland, where the right to bear arms is believed to lead to fewer homicides.

and

“Everything seems to indicate that there is no direct correlation in the aphorism that says more guns mean more crime,” said Aguilera,

I guess that in spite of all the BS being flung from where the anti-gun rights folks live, the truth has somehow escaped.

stay safe.