Thread: Black Hat hackers at DefCon crack SmartPoint smart rifle.

Black Hat hackers at DefCon crack SmartPoint smart rifle.

"Husband and wife hackers Michael Auger and Runa Sandvik will share their work on Friday at the notorious Def Con hacker gathering in Las Vegas, a day after making a presentation at the Black Hat cyber defense conference. [ ... ] The couple downplayed concerns that hackers could illicitly cause a shooter to miss his aim and endanger the wrong target, saying that the rifle is the first of its kind and only a thousand or so of them have been sold."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-08-foray-l...ple-smart.html

First SmartPoint rifle, next Smart Guns carried by cops
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-07-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: for the thick headed
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

First they have to know where the rifle is, they have to be close and they have to have a reason to do it.

In all reality that some one hacking one of these in the real world is most likely zero.

A big story over nothing promoted by the anti gun media.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

a reason

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    a reason to do it.
    could be as simple as Mt. Everest or the north pole
    Current dogma holds that citizens have a duty to defer to any order issued by an armed individual dressed in a State-issued costume.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    In all reality that some one hacking one of these in the real world is most likely zero.
    ...but a great reminder just one of the multitude of problems with so-called "smart guns" -- a hacker might disable it. Imagine the black market for a device that would render smart guns in its vicinity useless. It'd sell like hotcakes to career criminals (all they'd have to do is rob a extra house or two to fund it). Perhaps your Uncle, Sam might be interested in a disabling mechanisim too.?

O2
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

One of my coworkers is at DefCon this weekend. I hope he checked this demonstration out. I should be able to ask him on Tuesday when he's back in the office.