• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Considering First Firearm Purchase - Seeking Mature Advice

dudeinwrens

I am 25 years old.

My application for a Georgia Weapons Carry License is currently processing and after a hearing with the Local Probate Judge concerning the dismissal of Pending Charges my card will be issued.

I grew up in a small town, moved away for two years, and just last year bought a house here in this same small town.

I am a Residential HVAC Technician. I handle 75% of the workload. I have been doing this for 6 years now, and plan to obtain my licensings within the next 5 years, and open my own company in the area within the next 10 years. I suppose that 16 years of experience is a good starting point to venture off on my own.

I believe that the idea of obtaining my GWCL stems from my active pursuit of "Assuming Responsibility" when it comes to my own personal contribution to society and my family.

I am married, though I do not have kids.

I have never had a desire to own a gun, but given the fact that I am daily at Random Customer's homes working on their equipment, it seems rather unwise to go from place to place with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, materials, and sometimes physical dollar bills, and never equip myself with some form of legitimate protection.

I have had a customer threaten to shoot me before due to their inebriation and inability to understand that their system had developed a sizeable leak and was in need of replacement. However, this is an isolated incidence. Usually people are quite relieved when I arrive.

I am not unfamiliar with firearms. I was raised to respect them for what they are and taught how to use them and why. My father often carried concealed, and on rare occasions openly. Until now I've simply never had an interest in such things.

My questions are quite basic.

I intend to purchase my first handgun and holster after I receive my license. I intend to openly carry my weapon with me wherever I am legally allowed to do so. My intentions are to protect myself, deter any unfavorable altercations, and to raise awareness in my community that such a practice is perfectly legal with a License.

1) Should I inform those whom I interact with regularly of my intentions prior to openly carrying so as not to alarm them?

2) Is it wise for me to speak with the local PD about my decision to avoid any confusion should a concern citizen call in reference to my weapon?

3) What can I expect in terms of reactions from the general public?

4) I intend to utilize some form of drop-leg platform, but I've read that most people disapprove. Can you point me to legitimate sources which might help me to continue making informed decisions? To me it seems to be more practical than a hip holster, however, I've never carried a firearm with me daily.

5) Are there any laws that I am unaware of when it comes to Green-Dot Guide Rod Lasers? If ever there should arise a need for me to unholster my weapon I would like to ensure that I know where my bullet is headed. Human error is after all highly probable in such a situation, and at times unacceptable.

6) What psychological preparations would you suggest that I undertake prior to my purchase and subsequent open carry? I am very interested in hearing the thoughts and opinions of gun-owners who actively practice and preach responsible firearm safety, ownership, and carry.

7) Is there anything you feel obliged to inform or warn me about? I'm very aware of how serious of a choice this is, and I do not want to lose my rights or life due to negligent research habits.

Thanks for any and all input.

When asked recently why I have decided to obtain licensing and a firearm my response was, "Due to my own research on the subject, I have come to the understanding that it is the responsible thing for an adult male citizen to do, and it's quite foolish not to assume such a responsibility."

BlueSquid

I intend to purchase my first handgun and holster after I receive my license. I intend to openly carry my weapon with me wherever I am legally allowed to do so. My intentions are to protect myself, deter any unfavorable altercations, and to raise awareness in my community that such a practice is perfectly legal with a License.

1) Should I inform those whom I interact with regularly of my intentions prior to openly carrying so as not to alarm them?

2) Is it wise for me to speak with the local PD about my decision to avoid any confusion should a concern citizen call in reference to my weapon?

4) I intend to utilize some form of drop-leg platform, but I've read that most people disapprove. Can you point me to legitimate sources which might help me to continue making informed decisions? To me it seems to be more practical than a hip holster, however, I've never carried a firearm with me daily.

5) Are there any laws that I am unaware of when it comes to Green-Dot Guide Rod Lasers? If ever there should arise a need for me to unholster my weapon I would like to ensure that I know where my bullet is headed. Human error is after all highly probable in such a situation, and at times unacceptable.

6) What psychological preparations would you suggest that I undertake prior to my purchase and subsequent open carry? I am very interested in hearing the thoughts and opinions of gun-owners who actively practice and preach responsible firearm safety, ownership, and carry.

7) Is there anything you feel obliged to inform or warn me about? I'm very aware of how serious of a choice this is, and I do not want to lose my rights or life due to negligent research habits.

When asked recently why I have decided to obtain licensing and a firearm my response was, "Due to my own research on the subject, I have come to the understanding that it is the responsible thing for an adult male citizen to do, and it's quite foolish not to assume such a responsibility."

Keep in mind this is just one persons opinion in response to your questions. It's also worth noting that, by comparison to the vast majority of users here, I have very little experience. I've had very few interactions with the public while carrying, and what I have had has all been positive. I've also never spoken to LEO while carrying, positive or otherwise. Now, all that being said...

1) It depends who you are referring to. Co-workers it's probably a good idea just because it's possible your company has a policy against its employees carrying. Unless I missed it, you didn't mention if you had looked into that yet. Customers will probably be a mixed bag. Businesses and private citizens will likely all have their own policies and/or opinions. I don't know if signage/policy carries force of law in your area, something to look into. Really though, the answer to this regarding anyone else you interact with outside of work is probably more dependent on what makes you feel more comfortable carrying in the beginning.

2) In general, it's never a good idea to speak to the police outside of reporting a crime to them. A better idea is to find a good Pro-2A attorney in your area and pick their brain. It may cost a few bucks, but if you feel you need the advice, it's better to take it from someone who actually knows and understands law and how to read it. Good questions to ask include, but aren't limited to, how they would interpret and spin certain situations, that could go down while carrying a firearm, in a court setting. If you're into the gun related channels on youtube, TheYankeeMarshal did a video presenting some information he got while speaking to lawyers about self defense shootings. One lawyer noted that painting your firearm a color that might make it look fake, like all blue or red or something similar, could be spun in court to make it look as if you were trying to trick people into thinking it wasn't a real gun so they would be more likely to test you and give you an opportunity to fire. Again, take it from me with a grain of salt, I'm certainly no lawyer, but those would be the folks to talk to.

3) This question is probably better directed specifically at those in your states sub-forum. Here in VA, the reactions from the general public in my experience are largely non-existant or positive. As I said, I've yet to have a negative interaction, or even notice any dirty looks. Your mileage will vary, though. I would like to reiterate my earlier point about carrying while working. Given your profession, you'll be spending a lot of time entering other peoples property. You should find out how that effects your right to carry in your state.

4) Once you decide on the pistol you intend to buy, or even narrow it down to a few, head to the holster section of your local gun store. Ask them if it's alright for you to pop open a few of the plastic boxes for the different types of holsters and try them on. Figure out what's most comfortable to you. I like OWB hip holsters. My favorite so far has been the Blackhawk! Serpa II's with the paddle clips. It offers a good amount of comfort and good retention. Others swear by leather. This is something you'll only figure out by getting hands on.

5) This one I'm not sure about in your area, another question for your states sub-forum. I feel like something that makes you more likely to hit an INTENDED target can only be a good thing. Bold added for emphasis, since pulling the trigger in a self defense situation should only happen after a clear threat to life has presented itself, thus the trigger pull would be intentional. I would recommend practicing with it enough to know basically where the bullet is actually going to go in relation to where the laser is painting.

6) Be ready for the possibility of extra attention because you're carrying. It may happen, it may not. Do your best to learn the subject in and out, including current laws, changes that may come about in the future, and maybe even how they have changed from the past. Most interactions you experience due to you carrying are opportunities to educate. You say you don't want to lose your rights or life because of negligent research. Realize that both of those depend not only on your own research and the passing on of that information to others, but also sometimes to previous lessons people may have learned from others. You might have a positive interaction with someone because the last person they saw open carrying was a polite, courteous individual who took the time to educate them. Or, you could have someone call in a MWAG on you because the last OC'er that Joe Public at the deli counter in WalMart saw was a jerk. In either scenario, knowing well your rights and the local laws/ordinances will help you. Making up your own information cards to keep around and hand out isn't a bad idea either.

7) This forum holds a wealth of knowledge, experience and opinions. Use it! A lot of places organize regular OC get togethers. It's a great way to meet people with similar interests and beliefs, and to pick their brains. If that's something that interests you but your area doesn't offer it currently, you can always start your own. Build it, and they will come, and all that.

Know the prohibited places in your state. Make sure you don't carry in those places. Google is your friend on this one when it comes to restaurant and department store chains.

I'm not sure if this applies to your state, but in MI open carry is legal until you get in your car unless you have a CPL. With out it you have to unholster, unload and lock it up before you hop in the car. Things like that are usually hidden in the wording of your states laws, and aren't necessarily obvious on the first read. Hopefully someone from your state with more knowledge can hit on this point later.

That Pro-2A attorney I mentioned before? Put their number on your speed dial, and keep their business card in your wallet. That way, if a negative situation goes from bad to worse, you have someone to turn to, and someone you can insist the police let you speak to before you have a change to open your mouth and give them a reason (real or imagined) to cuff and stuff you. Voice or video recorders are a great idea, too.

So there it is, hope this helps you out and gives you some things to consider. I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff, probably worded some things poorly and may even be flat out wrong on some of it. I know someone will correct me if that's the case, though. That's the great part about this forum. So, welcome to OCDO from VA. Carry on!

HPmatt

Rather than comment on OC - still illegal here in TX till Jan 1 - I would rather respond to your timeline on going out on your own.

When would you expect to know 90% of what you need w HVAC? How does that compare to other HVAC companies in the area?

I would suggest you look at other options - teaming up w an older experienced guy wanting to (semi)-retire in 5-10 years; or talk to other HVAC companies that might want to expand into your area and need a self-starter to do it. Lots if oppty for honest, smart, dependable guys that are good at what they do - ballpark on 1st w/b a buyout at 1-2x current annual gross profit, 2nd would be along the lines of paying you a salary and 50/50 split on profit after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtlemom4

CCW and HVAC

First my qualifications: I'm of a mature age (72) and my husband is exceptionally experienced in HVAC (30 years+). We both have Georgia CCW permits, and one and/or the other carries concealed going nearly everywhere.

Husband says several things: 1. do NOT tell your customers you are carrying. 2. if you shoot someone in defense of property you WILL go to jail. 3. if you are working in questionable areas in which you would be in fear for your life, switch to a different company. There are 3 likely outcomes if customers know you are carrying: call your company and complain; throw you out; call the police (and if you are carrying on someone's private property and there is a complaint, you will be hassled to death by the cops). Better research the gun laws of Georgia very carefully!

Near the top of each page of this website, there is an ad for Patriot Legal Protection, LLC. Check them out and consider what will fall into self-defense and gun rights issues - things it would be relatively easy to be defended IF you only fired your firearm **in fear for your life.** You do not need jail time for illegal carry (wrong time, wrong place, wrong reasons) or for illegal use of a firearm.

Just a few more things to consider - carefully!

Cheerio!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am 25 years old.

My application for a Georgia Weapons Carry License is currently processing and after a hearing with the Local Probate Judge concerning the dismissal of Pending Charges my card will be issued.

I grew up in a small town, moved away for two years, and just last year bought a house here in this same small town.

I am a Residential HVAC Technician. I handle 75% of the workload. I have been doing this for 6 years now, and plan to obtain my licensings within the next 5 years, and open my own company in the area within the next 10 years. I suppose that 16 years of experience is a good starting point to venture off on my own.

I believe that the idea of obtaining my GWCL stems from my active pursuit of "Assuming Responsibility" when it comes to my own personal contribution to society and my family.

I am married, though I do not have kids.

I have never had a desire to own a gun, but given the fact that I am daily at Random Customer's homes working on their equipment, it seems rather unwise to go from place to place with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, materials, and sometimes physical dollar bills, and never equip myself with some form of legitimate protection.

This is as good a place as any to start with the first and most important question: are you utterly, without reservation of any kind, willing to kill another human being? Because if you are going to carry for self defense that is the most likely outcome. No conditions, no ifs or ands but a straight-forward yes or no. If the answer is no then only get a gun if you want to shoot at targets. If the answer is yes, the next question is - will you have any remorse for killing someone if that is the outcome of defending yourself? If no, go back and think about your plans and why you will be carrying.

I have had a customer threaten to shoot me before due to their inebriation and inability to understand that their system had developed a sizeable leak and was in need of replacement. However, this is an isolated incidence. Usually people are quite relieved when I arrive.

That is the time to defuse, deescalate and depart. It is not the time to rear up on your hind legs and engage someone in a urinating contest to see who will shoot first. Go to where you are safe (and that is not just sitting in your truck out on the street) and call the cops to report the threat.

I am not unfamiliar with firearms. I was raised to respect them for what they are and taught how to use them and why. My father often carried concealed, and on rare occasions openly. Until now I've simply never had an interest in such things.

It never hurts to get training starting with the basics and then moving up as much as you want to. Go to the range with a purpose, a plan, and a way to record your results so you can compare them against the standard in your plan. Mage arrangements to dry fire at home - some folks say 30 minutes a day against a plan, others say a few minutes once a week just aiming at stuff or just working on your trigger skills.

Please stop right there! The gun is not some magic talisman that will protect you just by someone seeing (or hearing) that you have one. It is the most effective and efficient tool to stop an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm - and nothing else. It is what you go to as the last resort - defuse, deescalate, disengage whenever possible to do so safely even if you have a "stand your ground" law on your side. The only one who will object to your trying to avoid having to shoot to stop a threat will be your lawyer because yyou will have much less need to hire him in he first place.

1) Should I inform those whom I interact with regularly of my intentions prior to openly carrying so as not to alarm them?[/quote]

No. Giving advance notice just gives them more time to think about how to stop you.

No. (Who put that idea into your head?)

That 97% will not even notice it, 2% will ask you what brand/caliber/ammo/holster/where you go shooting, and 1% falling into PSH. (Go look up what that means.)

In no particular order: it draws unwanted/unnecessary attention, you are not wearing body armor so don't need to get your gun around that, you are not out on a combat patrol or heading to a fast-draw shootout on Main Street at high noon. It sucks trying to get to your gun when seated. It will probably get in your way at work more than a basic OWB holster on a good gun belt.

5) Are there any laws that I am unaware of when it comes to Green-
Dot Guide Rod Lasers? If ever there should arise a need for me to unholster my weapon I would like to ensure that I know where my bullet is headed. Human error is after all highly probable in such a situation, and at times unacceptable.

Let's start with it being a federal crime to point a laser at an airplane. It may be a crime in Ga to point a laser at a cop. Then let's go back to "unholster my weapon" - you should never do that unless you are doing some administrative task (cleaning, putting it away for the night, etc) Otherwise, you will be drawing in preparation to shoot to stop an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury. The person creating that threat may disengage before you get to the part where you pull the trigger, in which case you go back to some sort of ready position and wait to see if the threat departs or reengages thus needing stopping.

This is not just word games. These are the issues the law and your lawyer will be looking at. How you say things can help you avoid a criminal charge while saything things a different way can almost guarantee you will be spending time in jail and then money on a lawyer. The folks from Ga are a great source of information on how his plats out under Ga laws.

Go up and review the first question I suggested you answer to yourself.

Don't get the meat of your palm caught when slamming a magazine home, or slice the web between your thumb and pointer finger by riding your grip up too high, or crossing your thumb over the back of the place where grip and slide meet.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Welcome to the forum !

I think that your own self preservation instincts would have you learning about the safe handling and carriage of you firearm by what ever means you feel are necessary. I don't see the need for formal training myself. Nor do I think that the law should require a person to be responsible or prove "responsibility" to carry (I think that they law punishes people who harm others well enough); the word "responsible" can mean anything.

Have equipment? Have insurance against theft .. most thieves don't do it right in front of you. They tend to want to avoid confrontation. Things are easily replaced anywho...

A lawyer is the proper person to speak to .. not the police, etc. YOUR lawyer that you pay.

I agree with turtlemom's advice for the most part. I think that you would likely be fired if your employer hears a complaint from a customer ... just a guess. You have chosen a career that takes you onto other people's property.
Some folks don't like guns, some are rabid anti-gunners who would like nothing than to make you have a bad day.

Physiological preparation? Beats me if you need any. For most, I think that the instinct of survival is pretty well entrenched.

For a carry gun I recommend a revolver ...

Last edited:

solus

hate to be the odd man out, but save your money and don't pursue any further firearm anything, training or acquisition, etc., as there is just something off about your tale you have posted that causes my spidey senses to not only go off but to flat out scream ~ to the point i even read your post twice and while i can't quite put my finger on it, there is something amiss!

whether it be, you need clearance from probation; never had a desire to...; raised to respect them for what they are; daddy CC'd; Until now I've simply never had an interest in such things; question on psychological what??, etc.

to the one that truly causes concern: quote...my active pursuit of "Assuming Responsibility" when it comes to my own personal contribution to society and my family. unquote

sorry...save your money in your small town where everyone knows everyone and you are about to possibly get off probation, and buy your darling partner a nice gift they can wear around their neck and you can admire every day!! (especially since you didn't mention how they felt about you having a firearm)

btw, welcome to the forum, hope the drive wasn't out of your way...

ipse

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
hate to be the odd man out, but save your money and don't pursue any further firearm anything, training or acquisition, etc., as there is just something off about your tale you have posted that causes my spidey senses to not only go off but to flat out scream ~ to the point i even read your post twice and while i can't quite put my finger on it, there is something amiss!

whether it be, you need clearance from probation; never had a desire to...; raised to respect them for what they are; daddy CC'd; Until now I've simply never had an interest in such things; question on psychological what??, etc.

to the one that truly causes concern: quote...my active pursuit of "Assuming Responsibility" when it comes to my own personal contribution to society and my family. unquote

sorry...save your money in your small town where everyone knows everyone and you are about to possibly get off probation, and buy your darling partner a nice gift they can wear around their neck and you can admire every day!! (especially since you didn't mention how they felt about you having a firearm)

btw, welcome to the forum, hope the drive wasn't out of your way...
Agreed.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Probate court handles conceal carry licenses. Was there a drug conviction that is interfering with the issuance of a weapons carry license? Or some other conviction?

dudeinwrens

The Internetz...

I always find it quite interesting just how people choose to respond to written messages.

I haven't visited this forum since my original post, but I did take the time to read through the thread. Some of you were quite helpful, and others were quite entertaining.

If you care to know, I received my license in the mail about a month ago.

The very next day I purchased a .40, and a week later a Serpa OWB Concealment hostler, but I happen to tuck my shirts in as of late. (I always despised such a thing in my younger days....)

For the first week prior to my Serpa purchase, I carried it with me everywhere I went in simple leather holster on my belt.

I have to say, at first I was quite nervous, however, after obtaining a more secure holster, I have calmed down quite a bit.

Where should I begin....

Perhaps I should go in order.

According to Georgia State Law - " Welcome to Georgia! There is no handgun registration here. People are sometimes surprised to learn that only 6 states have handgun registration. Georgia is not one of them."

Also, there is no CCWL, nor law.... There is only a "Georgia Weapons Carry License" which means, "If you wish to carry a deadly weapon in our state, please have this State Issued ID on your person at all times.

Hence my reasoning for obtaining a Carry License... I wish to carry my weapon openly....

Believe it or not, but NOBODY actually needs to obtain "Permission" to carry a concealed weapon, if it is truly concealed.

So, to the person mentioning CCWL in the state of Georgia... I don't actually know what you're talking about. Perhaps you live somewhere else?

Anywho, after carrying my weapon openly into people's homes, various businesses, wal-mart, supply houses, restaurants, etc etc, I have come to find that for the most part, people don't notice, and if they do notice, they are very careful not to let me know that they notice, unless they are engaging me in some sort of a conversation... In which case they seem slightly confused, and I walk away feeling as if they saw my gun, thought about it, and after their initial shock they asked themselves not, "why does this man have a gun?" but rather, "Why don't I have a gun?"

As for my employer... I've worked for him for 6 years now. I went from knowing nothing, to him teaching me enough to where he now sits at home while I handle his full work load. (It's a small company, just he and I) and he was fully aware of my application and it's complications, (He had to give me some time off to travel to the courthouse and such) and after seeing me carrying, his only statement was, "Damn, I need to go and get my license... I really do..."

I'm not sure why my HVAC experience came up as an off-topic subject in which to discuss, but I manage a website which I am currently building, PM me and I'll give you a link... I'm new here and don't want to spam.

Overall, this has been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Right up there with asking my future wife on a date 4-5 years ago, and us buying a dog the year later. She now has her own weapon, and I've been searching for her a good holster.

Our friends all agree that open carry is the sensible solution to such a violent world, yet they are hesitant it seems to obtain their own licenses.

My customers either do not notice, choose not to speak, or decide to talk guns with me... because this is Georgia, and 9/10 they are also carrying....

All in all, this has been a very positive experience for me. I find that "Psychologically" I am much more at ease in my day to day life.

As for the customer who once threatened me.... Were it to happen again I would most definitely enter my vehicle, drive away, and call the police.... However, I am pretty sure that I have effectively dropped all propensity for such encounters by a significant percentage ever since I started open carrying.

I have been practicing every chance that I get. My father has taught me quite a few things.

Honestly, it's none of your business as to why I was having trouble with my license initially. Just know that the "System" is rigged, and unless you know somebody who knows somebody, chances are, you'll give up trying before they honor your rights....

It's quite funny to me that people seem to automatically agree with the justice systems which we have in place....

As for drop-leg platforms and such, I find (from a month's experience) that I am much more comfortable and my weapon is much more secure attached to my hip, out of the way, rather than on my thigh.... I had never carried a weapon on my person before, so the idea seemed legitimate, but after carrying on my hip, I threw the idea out completely.

Some of you seemed concerned. I can understand, but remember, you don't actually know who I am. If you did, most likely you would be relieved to see me carrying, and pondering the idea of starting to carry yourself. I can think of a lot of people that have no business carrying a loaded firearm, but yet, I tend to feel as if the world would be a better place if they too were not restricted from doing a perfectly legal thing....

I doubt I'll read any responses to this... I'm quite simply just not interested anymore in what people think.... I know why I have my gun on me.... Do you know why you don't?

Everyone seems to want to talk about Gun Laws.... So here's my two cents...

Pass a federal law requiring every adult male over the age of 21 and under the age of 65 to at all times when in public to openly carry a high caliber handgun on their person.... REQUIRE IT.... write people tickets for going out unarmed....

I can guarantee you that immediately violent crime would dwindle to the point of near nonexistence, the government would make $58 total annual revenue from writing such tickets, and American's would stop being so soft.... They'd start "Winning" ....

And remember folks... It's not the open carrier that you need to be worried about.... It's all these damned concealed carry people around you right now that you know nothing about... Like that guy....does he have a gun?.... What about her?.... The real question is, why don't you have one....?

Thank you all for your responses.

Have a nice life...

"_"

solus

Nawwwwlllll, as much as i want to, i shan't even engage to respond to the OP's second post. i mean where to begin...

the second sentence: he has not visited the site since he originally posted yet...he did take time to read the responses?

and as the first post provides the life story and then follows up with....

no, i shall walk smartly & peacefully away, glad i am not living in a small town in the peach state.

ipes

OC for ME

... Please stop right there! The gun is not some magic talisman that will protect you just by someone seeing (or hearing) that you have one. ...
:shocker:

You mean OC is not a deterrent? I had no idea. Well heck, I guess I'll go back to concealing if OC ain't a deterrent. Darn, and I've been going about unprotected all this time. :rolleyes:

OC for ME

1) No, but leave if asked. You'd be surprised how folks will shelve their "concerns" regarding non-cops with a gun when their AC is out and they just kicked out of the house/business the guy who could fix it.

2) No!

3) The vast majority of folks won't even notice, especially when the AC is out...you do list Georgia as your state of residence. ;)

4) Addressed.

5) Don't point it at aircraft, the FAA really don't like that. Also, if you have to activate the laser beyond the confines of training the light won't make a difference, legally speaking, anyway.

6) One of the members who posted to your thread seems to be our resident shrink and very concerned about the mental health of all liberty centric 2A supporters. :rolleyes:

7) Get a recording device, audio at a minimum and have a lawyer on speed dial. Recording device on when you walk the front door all day every day.

Good luck and Welcome.

JoeSparky

Centurion

You mean OC is not a deterrent? I had no idea. Well heck, I guess I'll go back to concealing if OC ain't a deterrent. Darn, and I've been going about unprotected all this time. :rolleyes:
I'll say it this way--- a gun is only a deterrent IF it is seen. A concealed firearm can't be seen so it can't be a deterrent. An OC'd firearm is the only way for the firearm to be a deterrent. It will only deterr some, not all nefarious characters; but a concealled one won't deterr even those!

OC for ME

I'll say it this way--- a gun is only a deterrent IF it is seen. A concealed firearm can't be seen so it can't be a deterrent. An OC'd firearm is the only way for the firearm to be a deterrent. It will only deter some, not all nefarious characters; but a concealed one won't deter even those!
Did you read what skid wrote? ;)

Just kidding...

dudeinwrens

I just couldn't stay away...

Nawwwwlllll, as much as i want to, i shan't even engage to respond to the OP's second post. i mean where to begin...

the second sentence: he has not visited the site since he originally posted yet...he did take time to read the responses?

and as the first post provides the life story and then follows up with....

no, i shall walk smartly & peacefully away, glad i am not living in a small town in the peach state.

ipes

Dear Solus,

What about my post is so perturbing to you personally?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

dontplaystupidwithme_zpsd79efefc.png

No. OCing a handgun is not, by itself, a deterrent.

And I'm pretty sure you understood that. Go back and read what I had to say about attitude, as well as the very first question I asked the OP to consider.

If OC, in and of itself, were a deterrent we could all get one of these http://pcdcarry.com/
Be intimidating. Be protected.
:banghead::banghead:
We would save all sorts of money on the handgun itself, ammo, training, and the ever-important finding of the "perfect" holster.:uhoh:

stay safe.