• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Considering First Firearm Purchase - Seeking Mature Advice

OC for ME

For context.

Please stop right there! The gun is not some magic talisman that will protect you just by someone seeing (or hearing) that you have one. It is the most effective and efficient tool to stop an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm - and nothing else. It is what you go to as the last resort - ...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deter

View attachment 12751

No. OCing a handgun is not, by itself, a deterrent.
Everybody around here "defends" OC has a list of logical reasons why OC should be the preferred method of carry where OC is not made unlawful. Right at the top of their list, my list, is the "deterrent" effect/factor.

And I'm pretty sure you understood that. Go back and read what I had to say about attitude, as well as the very first question I asked the OP to consider.
That was not a discussion regarding "attitude" you lectured the OP. Reads as if you need to be sure he is ready.

If OC, in and of itself, were a deterrent we could all get one of these http://pcdcarry.com/ ...
Wrong time wrong place for this wee bit of "humor"...nothing but a attempt to distract the reader from the words you posted...anyway.

WalkingWolf

I'll say it this way--- a gun is only a deterrent IF it is seen. A concealed firearm can't be seen so it can't be a deterrent. An OC'd firearm is the only way for the firearm to be a deterrent. It will only deterr some, not all nefarious characters; but a concealled one won't deterr even those!

To fair, and honest, CC does have some deterrent value. But not for the individual, it has a community deterrent value. IOW whether CC, or unarmed the criminal does not know if a potential target is armed. Though a criminal is much more likely to take his chances if s/he is desperate enough if there is no gun visible.

As far as I am concerned, I don't carry for the community.

Ezek

To fair, and honest, CC does have some deterrent value. But not for the individual, it has a community deterrent value. IOW whether CC, or unarmed the criminal does not know if a potential target is armed. Though a criminal is much more likely to take his chances if s/he is desperate enough if there is no gun visible.

As far as I am concerned, I don't carry for the community.

how do you feel about Kansas? where OC and CC are legal without permits.. I wonder how the criminals now feel not knowing who is armed and who isn't since they can all CC now.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

how do you feel about Kansas? where OC and CC are legal without permits.. I wonder how the criminals now feel not knowing who is armed and who isn't since they can all CC now.

I would still OC if in Kansas, I like both carrying a full sized gun, and having criminals know up front I am not a soft target.

The Truth

SNIP

Pass a federal law requiring every adult male over the age of 21 and under the age of 65 to at all times when in public to openly carry a high caliber handgun on their person.... REQUIRE IT.... write people tickets for going out unarmed....

I can guarantee you that immediately violent crime would dwindle to the point of near nonexistence, the government would make $58 total annual revenue from writing such tickets, and American's would stop being so soft.... They'd start "Winning" ....

SNIP

"_"

Umm, no. Just no.